Singapore likely to hire 60k Indian pros in 2011

Viceroymenthol

GOOD LUCK, GUYS!!!!

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.co...al-headquarters

Mini Joseph Tejaswi, May 12, 2011, 07.37am IST

BANGALORE: Singapore has emerged as one of the worlds largest hiring markets this year,and this offers opportunities for Indians.

The country expects to hire over 3 lakh mid-to-senior level professionals in 2011.Hiring firms say over 20% of this talentaround 60,000 people-will be from India,50% from within Singapore and the rest from other parts of the world.

Zubin Shroff,partner in executive search firm Braithwaite Steiner Pretty,said Singaporean firms requirement for talent had multiplied this year,with all markets in the region growing.This is creating opportunities for many Indian professionals from across industries.

Singapore is the regional headquarters for many American and European banks,financial institutions,manufacturing giants,oil and gas companies,large IT corporations,mining firms,healthcare and hospitality brands.These companies are now expanding rapidly in Singapore and across China,Indonesia,Malaysia,Hong Kong,Vietnam and Australia.Hiring firms say some 40% of the 3 lakh recruits will be placed in Singapore while the rest will go into other Asia Pacific regions.

Jayanthi Y,chairman of hiring firm AdAstra Consultants,who is in charge of talent acquisition for Apac,said,Singapore today offers a never-before opportunity for Indian talent.Its proximity is an attractive element,while salary is the biggest attraction.Professionals receive 4 to 5 times what they are paid in India.

Jobs are available particularly in banking,hospitality,technology,manufacturing,oil & gas,healthcare,mining and textiles.

Global executives are attracted to Singapore for its high quality of life,congestion-free traffic movement,its safety standards.For Indians,the three--hour flying time and Singapores assimilation of Indian culture are added attractions.Most companies operate out of economic zones where the maximum personal income tax is 15%.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Be thankful, the original planned intake could have been 600k. They listened to the people and cut it down to 60k.

GOOD LUCK, GUYS!!!!

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.co...al-headquarters

Mini Joseph Tejaswi, May 12, 2011, 07.37am IST

BANGALORE: Singapore has emerged as one of the worlds largest hiring markets this year,and this offers opportunities for Indians.

The country expects to hire over 3 lakh mid-to-senior level professionals in 2011.Hiring firms say over 20% of this talentaround 60,000 people-will be from India,50% from within Singapore and the rest from other parts of the world.

Zubin Shroff,partner in executive search firm Braithwaite Steiner Pretty,said Singaporean firms requirement for talent had multiplied this year,with all markets in the region growing.This is creating opportunities for many Indian professionals from across industries.

Singapore is the regional headquarters for many American and European banks,financial institutions,manufacturing giants,oil and gas companies,large IT corporations,mining firms,healthcare and hospitality brands.These companies are now expanding rapidly in Singapore and across China,Indonesia,Malaysia,Hong Kong,Vietnam and Australia.Hiring firms say some 40% of the 3 lakh recruits will be placed in Singapore while the rest will go into other Asia Pacific regions.

Jayanthi Y,chairman of hiring firm AdAstra Consultants,who is in charge of talent acquisition for Apac,said,Singapore today offers a never-before opportunity for Indian talent.Its proximity is an attractive element,while salary is the biggest attraction.Professionals receive 4 to 5 times what they are paid in India.

Jobs are available particularly in banking,hospitality,technology,manufacturing,oil & gas,healthcare,mining and textiles.

Global executives are attracted to Singapore for its high quality of life,congestion-free traffic movement,its safety standards.For Indians,the three--hour flying time and Singapores assimilation of Indian culture are added attractions.Most companies operate out of economic zones where the maximum personal income tax is 15%.

Almost mis-interpreted as prositutes (laugh). This is among the changes forth-coming.

Turbocharged

Of the 39%, I hope none of them will be replaced by the 60K ah nehs.

Thank you 39%, you made the correct choice.

??? Are you referring to the 61%?

(edited)

I'm sorry, but I feel if you gave more than you think you are paid for, employers won't replace any of us. The reason why employers are looking elsewhere, is because they feel unhappy with us. Similarly, alot of Singaporeans work in other countries, being paid less than the natives. It's a cycle.

Look at the countless jobs that Singapore don't wanna do ? Should only cushy jobs be 'reserved' for Singaporeans ? I think we shouldn't expect handouts, but rather work hard at proving our best. If we are approving of menial jobs given to foreigners, we should fully expect similar things to happen on the top level.

Bottom line is, your job is safe if you can give more than what a foreigner can. I think such competition helps singapore and improves work ethics and attitude. Singapore can't be where it is, if we shut our doors from the past. Imagine you being the employer, would you give $3,000 to a Singaporean who insist on working 5 day work weeks with 21 day leave ? or $1,500 to a Chinese/Filippino/Indian who wishes to work 7 days and not take any leave, instead changing it for more cash.

Edited by Skinky

Be thankful, the original planned intake could have been 600k. They listened to the people and cut it down to 60k.

Come GE2016 dont need to say SORRY liao !

I'm sorry, but I feel if you gave more than you think you are paid for, employers won't replace any of us. The reason why employers are looking elsewhere, is because they feel unhappy with us. Similarly, alot of Singaporeans work in other countries, being paid less than the natives. It's a cycle.

Bottom line is, your job is safe if you give more than what a foreigner can. I think such competition helps singapore and improves work ethics and attitude. Singapore can't be where it is, if we shut our doors from the past.

Bottom line is if the cost of living for Singaporean aren't so high, Singaporean won't expect higher income. Of course those so call FTs can live with lower pay since they're here alone.

Wait, I thought Singapore Government want FT (Foreign Talent) but how come Engineers are top of the lists? Singapore universities cannot produce engineers huh?

(edited)

Look at the countless jobs that Singapore don't wanna do ? Should only cushy jobs be 'reserved' for Singaporeans ? I think we shouldn't expect handouts, but rather work hard at proving our best. If we are approving of menial jobs given to foreigners, we should fully expect similar things to happen on the top level.

Bottom line is, your job is safe if you can give more than what a foreigner can. I think such competition helps singapore and improves work ethics and attitude. Singapore can't be where it is, if we shut our doors from the past. Imagine you being the employer, would you give $3,000 to a Singaporean who insist on working 5 day work weeks with 21 day leave ? or $1,500 to a Chinese/Filippino/Indian who wishes to work 7 days and not take any leave, instead changing it for more cash.

Your theory is same as LSS - Faster , Better , Cheaper .... probably he will be next to retire in GE2016 if he still preach the same theory !

Edited by Jasonjst

Neutral Newbie

this means you will pay more for the maid if she do a good job? I doubt the maid's boss will pay anything higher than the min wages. required by law. no wonder why maids always look gloomy and don't want to perform well. In the end employers always keep changing maids?

currently most employers all acting like that, looking for cheapest worker to do a job. when they advertise, tons of ah neh, pinoy, PRC, Myanmar apply, lucky if got sinkies, cause their stated salary cannot really sustain the poor sinkies lifestyle.

that's why employer likes the FT policy.

My first job after graduation was with an MNC. I was paid $2.5k a month as a system engineer. It was considered average remuneration at that time. My engagement was on annual contract basis and the notice period was two weeks. For two years, I was pushing myself to learn as much as possible, not just technically but also in terms of relating to people at work, with our vendors and our customers.

Although I did not receive any pay increment during the two years, I did not feel bitter because I felt that it was more important to acquire and build up a repertoire of both technical and soft skills. I was the sole breadwinner of my family at that time but I did not feel pressured by that. As I grew in my experience and knowledge, I developed the understanding and awareness that as long as I had the right attitude and tenacity as well as the right skillsets, I could survive anywhere even if my employer terminated my contract the very next day.

During my own free time in the evenings and over the weekends, I expanded on my existing technical knowledge through books borrowed from the library and read up on the latest technological information online. I developed programming components that could be used to construct systems quickly. As my personal library of components increased in size, I could create systems more easily. Initially these were simple ones but in a matter of a year, I could put together more complex systems using these components.

Eventually I tendered my resignation after two years with the MNC. I left on amicable terms with my superiors and the company and my boss even told me that should I want to rejoin, he would welcome me back any time. The reason for my leaving was an extension of my childhood dream - to run my own IT business. At the point when I handed in my resignation letter, I had less than $3,000 in my bank account. Much of my earnings had gone to the family and also on the personal self-improvement activities that I had undertaken during employment.

Despite the little money that I had in my account, I did not feel any fear or trepidation. In fact, there was a feeling of liberation and that it was a necessary step. I felt ready because I had already equipped myself with what I had considered the essential for survival - attitude and ability. In the first month after my resignation, I incorporated a Pte Ltd company and put in almost 20-hour days for the entire month to create a software product that could be used by most businesses. I slept for an average of less than four hours per day.

In the day, I made phone calls to prospects and arranged demo sessions wherein I would present whatever I had at that point in time. The aspects which were not completed, I told the prospects that they would be ready by month-end and asked them to give me an opportunity. I priced each software license at $1,000 including one year support. In that first month, two SMEs agreed to give my product a try. It was probably out of compassion that the owners gave me the opportunity and I was (still am) very grateful to them (they are my good friends today).

With the opportunity given, I did my best to deliver the promised features by the end of the month. While the product was not totally complete, most of the features that I had promised during the presentation were working and my customers gave me more time to work on the product while requesting additional features that they had thought of during the UAT. They even offered to pay for the extra features as they knew these were not originally part of my product.

The following months were interesting. In certain months, I did not have a single sale because most of my time had been spent on the programming. In the later months of the first year, with a growing product (and more features from those customisations), I managed to secure around twenty deals. Together with the customisation remuneration, I hit $30k for the first year. It was a milestone for me because that was just slightly below what I would have drawn annually in my last job.

It was a gratifying first year because it involved a lot of blood and sweat (not much blood, more sweat actually). More importantly, it reinforced my initial belief that with the right attitude and ability, I would not need to go hungry.

Fast forward to 2011 - today I have more than twenty different products which my company sells and I have a team of ten who help me in both the sales and development areas of business. The journey had not been easy (and still is not easy) but I have never even once regretted stepping out of employment to be my own boss.

There are a few principles which I stick to today:

a. there is no point in complaining about the environment. Many people complain about Singapore being a small market and that it's impossible to do well depending on just the local market. In reality, the do-ers pull up their socks and make things happen instead of channeling their energies to complaints and grumblings. Learn the rules of the game and play the game within the regulatory framework

b. if others can do it, so can I. Whenever I come across success stories both in the media or through my own network, I do not feel jealous. Instead, I am happy for those who have achieved their success in life (whatever that may be) and I grit my teeth and work harder towards my own goals

c. always keep an open mind. The survivors in any environment are those that keep an open mind. They are open to learning; they are open to acknowledging that they may be wrong. Adaptability is a consequence of being open-minded. If you are open-minded, you will survive anything

d. financial discipline is key; many people spend beyond their means e.g. someone earning $5k a month spends as if he earns $10k a month. Someone earning $10k a month spends as if he earns $15k a month. Instead of doing that, try spending below your means. If you earn $15k a month, spend as if you earn $10k a month. If you earn $10k a month, spend as if you earn $5k a month

e. eliminate all your bad habits. This may rile some folks but I am a firm believer of abstinence from cigarettes, alcohol and other vices. These are costly financially and saps you in almost all aspects of your existenence - physical, mental, emotional.

I know of associates who have been retrenched from jobs paying $8k a month and they wait out a year or two, turning down job offers of $5k a month because they feel they would be "short-changed". I always explain to these associates that if they feel that the company making the job offer is sound and offers opportunities for growth, take up the $5k per month offer and then demonstrate to their employers that they are deserving of $8k a month by producing returns in excess of that.

The formula is simple: companies employ because they want to make a profit. If you are paid $8k a month, you would naturally need to generate more than $8k a month for your employer. If you are drawing $5k a month and are consistently generating $10k a month for your employer, your request for a pay raise would definitely be seriously considered (and likely accepted).

Carpe Diem!

My family has a domestic helper. She is the first ever helper that we have ever engaged and has been with us for more than two years. Recently she had gone back home for a month-long holiday. There is mutual respect - we treat her as part of the family and she respects us and does not take us for granted. Whether we eat out or have our meals at home, she sits together with us at the dining table and eats together with us.

We celebrate her birthday just as we would celebrate our own family members' birthdays and the kids know that it is right to treat her with respect and not order her around. She takes the initiative to do the household chores, and we help out in areas that we can (e.g. washing our own dishes). While there are times when she misses home (it is human nature) and may appear a little down, it gets better whenever the kids play with her and treat her no differently from their other aunties who are related by blood.

I believe that every human relationship boils down to mutual respect. Accord the individual genuine respect and you will receive respect in return. This applies to not only domestic helpers, employees, employers, neighbours, friends but every single person that we meet in our daily living or even online.

this means you will pay more for the maid if she do a good job? I doubt the maid's boss will pay anything higher than the min wages. required by law. no wonder why maids always look gloomy and don't want to perform well. In the end employers always keep changing maids?

currently most employers all acting like that, looking for cheapest worker to do a job. when they advertise, tons of ah neh, pinoy, PRC, Myanmar apply, lucky if got sinkies, cause their stated salary cannot really sustain the poor sinkies lifestyle.

that's why employer likes the FT policy.

↡ Advertisement