Rank of Member of Parliament (MP)

LoverofCar

(edited)

just curious..From a rank structure point of view...is MPs rank higer than a military rank..say captain or colonel? Do they address MP as sir or madam? Or is it only minister is the higher rank?

Edited by LoverofCar
↡ Advertisement

just curious..From a rank structure point of view...is MPs rank higer than a military rank..say captain or colonel? Do they address MP as sir or madam? Or is it only minister is the higher rank?

I got no idea but army personal also address civilian as SIR or mdm. [laugh]

Are MP being saluted by police or soldier like Pm and president do?

I don't recall seeing any.

Army personnel address ppl sir and madam is just MacDonald address all customer sir and ma'am.

MPs are rank higher than the Chief of Staff of military during peace time.

In time of war or curfew, MPs are back to normal person, military and Home Affair officers got the upper hand and working with all the Ministers....... :ph34r:

Army personnel address ppl sir and madam is just MacDonald address all customer sir and ma'am.

I think Ministers and above only entitle to salute ...... :ph34r:

(edited)

Bro, MP is not a rank. It's a political respresentative in the legislature. They pass bills and laws which are then executed by the executive (government). Collectively, they represent the Constitution (Parliament) in the balance of power with Executive (Government) and Jurisdiction (Supreme Court).

Edited by Acieed

(edited)

yeah.

they are not "office holder", are they?. so, they should be no rank.

Bro, MP is not a rank. It's a political respresentative in the legislature. They pass bills and laws which are then executed by the executive (government). Collectively, they represent the Constitution (Parliament) in the balance of power with Executive (Government) and Jurisdiction (Supreme Court).

Edited by Wt_know

Did you just get elected as an MP or promoted to CPT/COL or something? [;)]

Anyway to answer your query, an MP is a public representative of the people while the other is a civil servant. They cannot be compared in a given rank structure as to how a CISCO sergeant cannot be compared to a manager in the private sector.

In terms of pecuniary remuneration, an MP allowance is roughly equivalent to a LTC/COL. You must remember that the MP allowance is over and on top of their existing job too.

In terms of the number of people that they are responsible for, an MP should be roughly equivalent to a Div Cmdr level.

In terms of clout, an MP beats the military personnel hands down unless you are comparing against the Army Chiefs which is then debatable depending on the issue at hand.

YES, I used to be a police, we have to salute to MPs as well.

(edited)

The role of an MP is not to tell the soldiers what to do. Collectively, they have the superpowers above any rank in Singapore of taking away the mandate from the military by amending the constitution and pass new laws.

The parliament can pass a bill to introduce the elected presidency who commands the military - they can also take away the president from the constitution and introduce a elected clown. They create the recipe, and the executives (a.k.a. the government) cook the dishes, then the judiciary plays the judge. Got it ?

In the parliamentary system, the lines are not clear because the executives are also elected MPs. In the U.S. system, the legislature is the congress who are the house of representatives and the senates who plays a specific role in the legislature. The president is elected separately as the executive, who also forms the government.

yeah.

they are not "office holder", are they?. so, they should be no rank.

Edited by Acieed

During my army days, there's this MP came for his reservist (LTA rank) and he needed to fax something and came to our office to use the fax, my CO (LTC rank) has to address him as "Sir"... we were all like :o

During my army days, there's this MP came for his reservist (LTA rank) and he needed to fax something and came to our office to use the fax, my CO (LTC rank) has to address him as "Sir"... we were all like :o

Some address others as "Sir" out of respect or courtesy while others are required to do so by rules & regulations.

"Sir", does not mean that someone is higher "ranked" than another.

It depends on the context used. [wave]

(edited)

But during army days, especially in camp, when someone is of higher rank than us we'll address them Sir. When they are of lower rank, we'll call them by their surname of simply call them by Rank + Surname.

Edited by Salmon

Supersonic
(edited)

If a soldier/policeman has to salute an MP, does that apply to oppo MPs as well? [laugh]

Personally, I would take great pride in saluting an oppo MP. ^_^

Edited by Turboflat4

is a 2LT higher in rank compare to 2WO?? Who is higher??

Anyway even a SWO also still need to salute a 2LT although SWO may have a higher appointment.

↡ Advertisement