Alfa Engine (Oil Consumption?)

Le_Stig

Neutral Newbie

For the benefit of all:

Technically, all engines including Alfas requires topping up as some stage.

The current generation of Alfa JTS engines don't consume as much engine oil compared to the old Alfa Twin Spark Engine....Why?

This is because the engine is designed this way and it is definitely not an issue. In the Twin Spark engine, there is a spray bar right under every Piston Crown, it sprays engine oil under the Crown to cool the pistons on high revs / heat. Because the temp is high when sprayed, small percentage of engine oil tends to evaporate and lost via exhaust manifold. If you ever owned a 145, 146, 147, 155, 156, GT and etc, the Owner's Manual will state "Engine Oil Consumption is expected at approximately 1 Litre per 1,000 miles." Yes, factory says it is normal.

In addition, Alfa has been working with Selenia to develop specific engine oil (eg: Selenia 40k and Selenia Racing) that has anti evaporating detergent which helps to prevent evaporation of engine oil during engine operations at high revs / heat and also allow re-circulation of oil back to the sump. Of course that doesn't mean 100% eradication of this engine oil consumption. A lot of different or majority of engine oils out there does not have anti evaporating detergent added hence oil consumption is higher compared to Selenia. The Owner's Manual also recommends high vecosity eg: for my previous 147, it states: Factory Recommends 10w 60 Selenia Oil for a 2 Litre car....yes, a 2 Litre Car. I was shocked. But I chose to use 5w 50. To be exact, I was using Mobil 1's 5w 50 since day one and the oil consumption? Slightly better than normal 5w 40 oil. The only time it consumes oil is after a run in MY, I need to top up at least 400 to 600ml of engine oil the next day. This is perfectly normal.

↡ Advertisement

i do not drive an alfa....but according to the fiat manual it says the same thing

1 Litre per 1,000 miles

most prob will finish using the shell helix then change EO

maybe amsoil :D

selinia is recommended for both fiat and alfa romeo cars

Neutral Newbie

i do not drive an alfa....but according to the fiat manual it says the same thing

1 Litre per 1,000 miles

most prob will finish using the shell helix then change EO

maybe amsoil :D

selinia is recommended for both fiat and alfa romeo cars

I would think the development aspect is both same for Fiat and Alfa Romeo since both design Team now resides under one roof and platform are shared.

Just thought to share the technical aspect behind Alfa's engine oil consumption and the reason instead of being misinterpreted as a lousy engine that consumes or some even say leak oil.

I've added 1/2 a bottle of MMO to my engine oil (50w) and realised the consumption reduced drastically.

the other 1/2 i spread it across 2 tanks of fuel.

also, looks like it cleared up alot of varnish which was even visibile from the oil cap.

i know the name sounds archaic but after reading multiple forums i'm now a believer and thats probably the best bang for buck 8.80 i spent on the car so far

I've added 1/2 a bottle of MMO to my engine oil (50w) and realised the consumption reduced drastically.

the other 1/2 i spread it across 2 tanks of fuel.

also, looks like it cleared up alot of varnish which was even visibile from the oil cap.

i know the name sounds archaic but after reading multiple forums i'm now a believer and thats probably the best bang for buck 8.80 i spent on the car so far

saw topgear tv on additive on fuel & turn out none works to reduce fc or gain hp

think that was on 5th gear, not top gear...

i've used alot of different additives and most of them dont do nuts for me.

anyways i tried MMO as i wanted to try remove that brown varnish/sludge.. not for hp gains

my engine was rebuilt last year, even so, the consumption of engine oil is still alarming. Over 1.5mths I had topped up almost 3ltrs of oil. this is not unusual, as all my other Italian makes had the same issue. My Fiat Punto GT ran dry at Ayer Kerol on 10W60 of a certain Germany brand of oil during my trip up to Penang. There after had to buy Shell to top up and was ok all the way. So I guess its wat makes the oil and in the oil that makes the diff.

I did mentioned before,my friend's Audi A6,used 1L every 1300km,he is so fed-up,he sold the car & bought a BMW 523i,which also need to top up[but not so bad],1L every 4500Km.

my engine was rebuilt last year, even so, the consumption of engine oil is still alarming. Over 1.5mths I had topped up almost 3ltrs of oil. this is not unusual, as all my other Italian makes had the same issue. My Fiat Punto GT ran dry at Ayer Kerol on 10W60 of a certain Germany brand of oil during my trip up to Penang. There after had to buy Shell to top up and was ok all the way. So I guess its wat makes the oil and in the oil that makes the diff.

Maybe you can try Redline 5w50, 15w50 or 10w60, all are ester base and oil consumption should stabilize after initial run-in.

My GT JTS strangely consumes less oil on Mobil 5w50 than Selenia 10w60. I don't know if Mobil has that anti evaporate thing but it sure works. I saw SPC selling similar oil at way cheaper price, like 30+ for 4 ltrs. Since I don't go to agent these days, it makes sense to use their their Selenia oil. But I've to say Mobil is probably good enuf for the 2 ltr cars.

Neutral Newbie

Maybe you can try Redline 5w50, 15w50 or 10w60, all are ester base and oil consumption should stabilize after initial run-in.

thanks for the tip. I guess when I change to SAE 50 or 60 it would be better, however power loss would be great. I am using 40 now, that's why I guess the consumption is higher. Our engines runs very hot and the losses are due to the the oil vaporizing from cooling the pistons.

Might give it a try on my next oil change.

Neutral Newbie

My GT JTS strangely consumes less oil on Mobil 5w50 than Selenia 10w60. I don't know if Mobil has that anti evaporate thing but it sure works. I saw SPC selling similar oil at way cheaper price, like 30+ for 4 ltrs. Since I don't go to agent these days, it makes sense to use their their Selenia oil. But I've to say Mobil is probably good enuf for the 2 ltr cars.

I had never liked the Mobil 1 for reasons that it evaporates faster than other brands. But that was years ago, perhaps they have improved over the years.

my 2.2JTS is consuming oil lately as well.. never had the same problem. But the EO level drops a bar after a couple of weeks when i topped up.

my 2.2JTS is consuming oil lately as well.. never had the same problem. But the EO level drops a bar after a couple of weeks when i topped up.

Strange I thought the 2.2 JTS is a GM made engine that does not have such problems... how old is your car?

(edited)

Did you check with the dipstick? The car computer says I have zero oil every now and then .. dipstick says full.

Edited by Count_duku

Neutral Newbie

I remember AS told me that GM engine was worst than the Alfa engines made in the hay days. Anyways I made a count and my little 1.6L engine needs abt 200ml of top up every 1000km, so I guess its still ok.

Twincharged

I remember AS told me that GM engine was worst than the Alfa engines made in the hay days. Anyways I made a count and my little 1.6L engine needs abt 200ml of top up every 1000km, so I guess its still ok.

It is normal,i can says very good,1L=5000km.

↡ Advertisement