Is it cyclist right to cycle on pavement?

Acemundo

cyclist allowed by law to cycle only on :  

37 members have voted

1. 1. which of the following choices

• road
    • pavement
    • both of the above

Supercharged

I always thought that under the laws of singapore, the cyclist is not supposed to cycle on the pavement but their rightful place is on the road. Anyone can confirm that?

I just saw a cyclist belting out profanity when his cycling route on the payement is blocked by cars. included in his tirade were justification that the pavement was meant for cyclist like him. what happens is that alto the cars blocked his way, they left gaps wide enough for humans to pass through but probably did not factor a cyclist laying his claim to the right of way for a stretch that is dividing 2 pavements. the cars were actually parked at the tarmac road entrance seperating 2 ends of the pavement and pendicular to the pavement.

↡ Advertisement

on pavement safer than on the road..

by safer i mean for both drivers and cyclist..

on pavement they can ring bells for pedestrain.. coz not everywhere has bicycle tracks rite..

for me it depends,

if traffic is bad, and there is no one walking on the pavement, then i will try to use the pavement

but if normal condition, i do prefer the road as i am riding road bike or racer.

but frankly, for mountain bike or slower bicycles, i think it is safer to travel on the pavement BECOZ , singapore drivers do not really give way or best is try to sleeze pass the cyclists which i think is really very dangerous, esp if the cyclists is a newbie or old people.

Supercharged

on pavement safer than on the road..

by safer i mean for both drivers and cyclist..

on pavement they can ring bells for pedestrain.. coz not everywhere has bicycle tracks rite..

safer for them is one thing. but to insist it is their right to cycle on the pavement? i believe the legal right for them is on the road and not on the pavement. pedestrians were courteous not to chase cyclist of the pavement but now the insist the pavement is their rightful place to cycle.

safer for them is one thing. but to insist it is their right to cycle on the pavement? i believe the legal right for them is on the road and not on the pavement. pedestrians were courteous not to chase cyclist of the pavement but now the insist the pavement is their rightful place to cycle.

which do u choose? the right to ride on e road but is more dangerous.. or choose a safer pavement.

i choose e pavement.. nv see any pedestrians complains.. as long as u ride carefully..

i think legally is on the road..

Turbocharged

i hate those cyclist who beh zi thong. Cycle on patway and still kept ringing the bell to ask us to siam for them to pass.

Supercharged

which do u choose? the right to ride on e road but is more dangerous.. or choose a safer pavement.

i choose e pavement.. nv see any pedestrians complains.. as long as u ride carefully..

i know. that is beside the point. if i am not wrong, legally cyclist belong to the road.

but all pedestrians and authorities have beeen patient and kind enough not to bring the cyclists to task but it doesn't give that supreme right for them to assume cycliing on the pavement is their right. in the case i mentioned, if it is not his right, he jsut need filter out and cycle back to the next start of the pavement and instead of blasting drivers for

1) parking on a road that divides 2 pavements

2) not leaving enough gap for his cycling when the gap is sufficient for pedestrians

Supercharged

i think legally is on the road..

precisely, legally their right is on the road and now his behavior seems to indicate he is upset that his cycling path on the pavement is not smoothened out for him?

I find those normal cyclists, meaning those uncle or aunty cycling to kopitiam or to buy groceries etc that kind, they cycle very safely on road. They keep themselves near to the side of the road as close as possible.

Those hardcore cyclists on their "racer" bikes are more prone to risking their own lives. They tend to cycle in the middle of left lane and some I encountered almost going to center lane and some riding side by side occupying the entire lane. I don't know what in devil's name possessed them to do that. No offense but I think they must have got no life and no love ones to care about to do such things.

I think sooner or later the topic will veer towards FTs & FWs.

I also think it's quite pointless to discuss who's in the right or wrong or who the law favours. In reality the cyclist can pretty much do anything they wish and get away with it. The only con is their life is at stake, on the roads they could any time end up in a wooden box. Give & take lah, life is not perfect.

i hate those cyclist who beh zi thong. Cycle on patway and still kept ringing the bell to ask us to siam for them to pass.

sometimes e pedestrians like me will walk right at e middle of the road.. :p mindlessly walk.. haha..

so if a bicycle give a polite ring, i will let it pass by lor.. no harm..

u give the cyclist e right on e road.. some of them will take 1 lane for their own to cycle at their own pace.. as u say, they have e right on e road mah..

they are alright to cycle on the double yellow lights....

the irriating parts are

- turning at a cross junction without checking

- speeding at zebra crossing where driver's ulitmate bind spot.

- no reflector or blinking rear lights at night.

- 2 bicycle @ double yellow line ,side by side talking to each other like they paid road tax

- those which have diesel/petrol motors speeding on single lane like they are riding a motorbike.

xxxx these pple. hope they get hit by something to learn a lesson.

It's perfectly fine for cyclist to cycle on the footpaths as long as they do not pose a nuisance or danger to pedestrians.

I take issue that the authorities do not enforce the law to maintain safe bicycle riding (regardless of the nationality, age, or gender of cyclist). The authorities completely choose to remain blind or practice selective law enforcement after they removed bicycle licensing and highway code test for riders.

As I have mentioned before, if the authorities choose to remain this way, citizens will one day take ownership of their responsibility and mete out their own form of enforcement which the authorities will take issue with.

As long as the authorities keep dragging their feet on this matter, they are only accumulating more and more unattended incidents that will one day rupture into a free for all expression.

↡ Advertisement