Can pump normal grade subsidised petrol?

Loo

16 members have voted

1. 1. Can pump subsidised petrol after certain distance from SG?

• Yes
    • no

2nd Gear
(edited)

Hi all bros and sis,

I am driving into malaysia to Genting this month. I know that singapore registered plate cars cannot pump subsidised petrol in JB. but once we travel beyond certain radius, can we pump subsidised petrol??

Thanks so much

Edited by Loo
↡ Advertisement

Restriction is to the whole of Peninsular Malaysia.

Hi all bros and sis,

I am driving into malaysia to Genting this month. I know that singapore registered plate cars cannot pump subsidised petrol in JB. but once we travel beyond certain radius, can we pump subsidised petrol??

Thanks so much

Restriction is to the whole of Peninsular Malaysia.

i thought 20km from borders cannot pump 95? the rest can

Use credit card and pump, you pump and go, fast fast one, they don't bother. If the uncle approach you, just give him 10 ringgit. You have saved $40 for 40L of petrol, $10 is nothing.

By right is cannot la....By left depends on luck la...

during my recent trip to Hatyai....i pumped 95 at kiosk before going to Sadao border, pumped 95 in Penang, pumped 95 again at one of the BHP along NSH....

Supercharged

i thought 20km from borders cannot pump 95? the rest can

I just came back. 20L within 50km is for diesel.

Ron95, no foreign registered car unless the driver is a Malaysian and must show Mykad.

Hi guys

After pumping 98 for the last few years. It feels very expensive to pump 98.

Last time the difference of 98 used to be 8-10cents. Now it's 35 cents diff

If I decide to switch to 95:

1) will it cause long term carbon built up?

2) more expensive repairs due to using 95

3) liken to penny foolish pound foolish?

I also am concerned about switching brands as friends and close relatives keep saying Spc is not good and will cause damage to the vehicle. In reality we never take their advice seriously.

Hi guys

I also am concerned about switching brands as friends and close relatives keep saying Spc is not good and will cause damage to the vehicle. In reality we never take their advice seriously.

Had been using spc 95 so far so good.

If your car recommendations is 95, I don't think there is anything wrong with going with 95

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

Note that, 97 RON petrol in Msia is Euro 4M, while 95RON is not, and had a significantly higher sulphur content.

Price diff between 95&97 RON is only SGD 0.10 in Malaysia, compared to SGD 0.35 price diff between 95&98RON in Singapore

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

Hi guys

Higher RON no use if the car is not designed that way and doesn't require it... in fact some tests show the power output drop by ~5% instead! I won't comment on SPC, but pumping higher RON is just paying more, maaaaybe get more additive, supposed engine cleaning chemicals in your petrol.

But if your car demands 98 RON (e.g. high performance sports car) and you pump 92, you're asking for trouble, because you'll get engine knocking or misfires, though modern cars have knock control that should prevent permanent damage.

Edited by 7hm
  • Praise 1

Sibei stress le.

Drive car also have to choose btw 95 and 98.

I had nvr pump anything lower than 98 on this island.  All my cars (including Nissan Sunny) use 98 only.

If still need to stress about it, might as well sell the car & take B.M.W.

If you pay by credit card, there is no need to flash or use a MYkad IMHO.

I drive Malaysian rental car, pump just using credit card, at no point need to show MyKad.

Just pump the 95 using credit card. Act blur if petrol uncle approach you. Just sorry sorry. No one will bother one lah!

(edited)

Octane number (RON) has nothing to do with carbon build up - the latter is a function of the stoichiometric combustion efficiency, or the lack thereof, of your engine.

Premature detonation prior to top-dead-centre of Otto cycle, which causes engine to ping (knock) would result from pumping too low an octane fuel, below engine specifications ... but which shouldn't be the case for typical B&B cars sold in SG.

Contrary to "popular" belief here in MCF, there is indeed a difference between the 2 book-end grades 98R vs 92R (where 95R is somewhere in between). The poorest grade 92R would usually have the highest olefinic content (read: gum formation - not good, with lower oxidation stability) ... and is dependent on the manufacturing site's process configuration and also, octane boosters used in final blending!

BTW, some folks talk about MY's Euro-4M compliant 97R gasoline, whereby that country had removed the max %Aromatics spec from legislation - due to Petronas (Melaka refinery) and EON (Port Dickson refinery) not having any Chemical plant, nor Cat Cracker. Which means that their 97R grades contain very much higher Aromatics in blend >35% (read: good for engine performance, mileage and long-term efficiency)!

Edited by merc280v6
↡ Advertisement