Living in ground floor unit of Condo?

Kiario

(edited)

anybody with experiences living in ground floor unit of condo or EC?

seem some bad press report about littering from the neighbours upstairs, how bout problems of insects, rats, ants etc, is it much worse than living on top floor?

also privacy, is it true that anybody can just peep into your home and you are not allowed to do any unauthorise renovations such as blinds, etc on your patio?

thanks for all feedback in advance.

Edited by Kiario
↡ Advertisement

anybody with experiences living in ground floor unit of condo or EC?

seem some bad press report about littering from the neighbours upstairs, how bout problems of insects, rats, ants etc, is it much worse than living on top floor?

also privacy, is it true that anybody can just peep into your home and you are not allowed to do any unauthorise renovations such as blinds, etc on your patio?

thanks for all feedback in advance.

YES TO THOSE IN BOLD IN RED!

renovations for canopy and stuff, it all depends on the management of your condo.. must get permit one..

HDB ground floor is still the best, can plant fruit trees and vegetables too.

and if ur blk next to carpark, u can extend hose from ur kitchen to wash car rite? [laugh]

Depends on condo....for littering issue, seems like it's much worse for those ulu mass market condo, as the residents or tenants there are not as civic minded...so far most of the condos i've been too are quite alright..

One of my friend's aunt live at the ground floor of the condo...

Cos her unit is close to the common walk way...

IMO, i feel privacy is an issue...

<_<

1st storey units have extra open space called a PES(private enclosed space) that is bound by a short 1m fence.

That extra space has not much security and privacy. Worst still litter from above floors. And since they are built at the same level as the outer area unlike new hdb flats, you have a privacy inssue as well. Hard to see in what way that extra space is an advantage.

1st storey units have extra open space called a PES(private enclosed space) that is bound by a short 1m fence.

That extra space has not much security and privacy. Worst still litter from above floors. And since they are built at the same level as the outer area unlike new hdb flats, you have a privacy inssue as well. Hard to see in what way that extra space is an advantage.

eh.. i never say the extra space is an advantage..

u reply wrong person ah??

eh.. i never say the extra space is an advantage..

u reply wrong person ah??

cool bro, i think he is saying when we buy the ground floor unit, the agent will emphasize the advantage of owning a ground floor unit with the PES.

cool bro, i think he is saying when we buy the ground floor unit, the agent will emphasize the advantage of owning a ground floor unit with the PES.

eh halo.. i not bro leh........ <_<

my i/c print female and my birdcert oso say i female..

Depends on condo....for littering issue, seems like it's much worse for those ulu mass market condo, as the residents or tenants there are not as civic minded...so far most of the condos i've been too are quite alright..

I used to own one of these ground floor units with a huge patio. My tenant complained that the people upstairs throw all kinds of rubbish like tissue paper, cigarette butts, etc into the patio. Falling leaves are also a problem as the area has a lot of trees. You may think that these are really lousy people living upstairs but the people in the building are mostly white collar ang mor single/couple expats and this condo is located in District 10. So really, it all depends on your neighbours. Wait till you see these so-called "civic-minded and educated" ang mor expat neighbours get drunk, hahaha good luck to you.

Before I bought it, I had a verbal approval from the MCST that I would be allowed to construct a retractable roof (design to be approved by them) over the patio to prevent such things from falling in. I did not install the roof however, as the unit was just for investment and I couldn't be bothered to spend that kind of money for my tenant, haha.

Good thing was, the patio was right next to the swimming pool, really really close up, separated only by a thick tempered glass fence. Shiok man. Sexy living.

Now i know.. Was looking at the ground floor unit of an EC.. Rather skip it then and get a high floor one.

eh halo.. i not bro leh........ <_<

my i/c print female and my birdcert oso say i female..

[laugh] ur sig muz put big big...

(edited)

Big PES is very good for investment, because of the bigger total area of your unit. PES is generally priced as 1/2 or 1/3 of the per square foot price of the built in area. So you are buying at a much lower overall $psf than your neighbours who have totally built-in space except for one or two small balconies.

When you sell out in a big bull market like 2007, as you know, a rising tide lifts all boats.

For example your unit is around 2,000 square feet including PES. If the property prices in your area generally increases by $1,000 psf, your profit is around 2,000 x $1,000 psf = $2 mill (before factoring in agent's commission, seller's stamp duty in recent times, cost of your legal, loan clawbacks, loan early repayment penalty, etc)

And that is how people made their big money through property. I know guys who bought and sold big 4,000 square feet penthouses, profited $1-2 mill or so with every trade they made. All you need is to buy at a certain $psf price and sell out only a little bit higher, so get in at the early to mid to late stages of the bull run also can. You won't be holding long term anyway. Only if you can stomach risk.

Edited by Viceroymenthol
↡ Advertisement