'cheap, good' food in S'pore

Greatbirdlegend

I think there are some good food at cheap prices around the island.

Problem is that these are few and far apart.

Hardly what I would call easily accessible.

Most of them are overpriced crap that they sell in aircon places.

-----

Jun 10, 2011

Case poll finds 'cheap, good' food in S'pore

By Jessica Lim

Despite complaints that prices of food have gone up, people can still get a decent meal for $2.50. -- PHOTO: THE CHICKEN RICE SHOP

DESPITE complaints that prices of food have gone up, people can still get a decent meal for $2.50.

A survey released by the Consumers Association of Singapore (Case) on Thursday found that 331, or 54 per cent of the 611 non-air-conditioned food stalls it checked sold dishes for $2.50 or less.

The remaining number of stalls priced them between $2.60 and $6.

The consumer watchdog ran the survey in April. It was carried out with the help of 10 mystery shoppers - a mix of volunteers and its officers - on randomly selected stalls.

Portion sizes and the quality of food were not taken into account.

The check focused on the prices of single portions of five common dishes here: plain roti prata, chicken nasi beriani, chicken rice, fishball noodles, and a plate of rice with two portions of vegetables and one of meat.

Read the full report in Friday's edition of The Straits Times.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

One of my favourite chicken, duck, char siew & seow bak rice stall used to sell at $2 per plate (choose either 1 or mix of 2) until few months ago increase to $2.50. However it also increase its portion slightly as well. Still can see long Qs even after the increase as the food is [thumbsup][thumbsup] . Located at ulu area serve by 1 bus only. Taking into account min. fare of >60cents, end up the meal will cost >$3.5

It mentioned can get nasi biryani at $2.5 (true or not?), will definitely try it as prices nowadays are >$4

I can say most zhi- char stall still sell cheap $1 fried noodles and beehoon.

It's not there are no cheap food. The rice a lot, but meat a few pieces only.

I can count just five flatten pieces of duck meat in my $3.00 duck rice!!

Cheap does not mean value for money. I can sell curry laced white rice for $1 for those construction workers.

One of my favourite chicken, duck, char siew & seow bak rice stall used to sell at $2 per plate (choose either 1 or mix of 2) until few months ago increase to $2.50. However it also increase its portion slightly as well. Still can see long Qs even after the increase as the food is [thumbsup][thumbsup] . Located at ulu area serve by 1 bus only. Taking into account min. fare of >60cents, end up the meal will cost >$3.5

It mentioned can get nasi biryani at $2.5 (true or not?), will definitely try it as prices nowadays are >$4

Most of the good food are usually not so accessible by MRT?

My favorite places are usually not within walking distances. ^_^

In addition to lower price, probably CASE's survey did not take into account the smaller quantities that equate with lower price. Lower price = smaller portion. [:(]

Turbocharged

In addition to lower price, probably CASE's survey did not take into account the smaller quantities that equate with lower price. Lower price = smaller portion. [:(]

They tend to tell half the story or simpler term, half truths.

(edited)

blk 85 redhill market chicken rice, $2 per plate. nice and portion ok too

vegetarian rice at bedok inter change, 2.50 for rice and 3 dishes, also nice and cheapest among vege stalls. portion ok

mix vege rice at coffeeshop beside hougang green, 2 vege 1 meat = $2.30 bo ho makan though but confirm full.

there are cheap and nice stalls, just need to look out...

Edited by Tom_kkh

Twincharged

blk 85 redhill market chicken rice, $2 per plate. nice and portion ok too

vegetarian rice at bedok inter change, 2.50 for rice and 3 dishes, also nice and cheapest among vege stalls. portion ok

mix vege rice at coffeeshop beside hougang green, 2 vege 1 meat = $2.30 bo ho makan though but confirm full.

there are cheap and nice stalls, just need to look out...

If stay near those places than ok lor. Can't expect everytime waste time and $ to go source for cheap food. Haha. So ultimately will be there are still cheap food around but are they near people places? Some lucky some may not be that lor

I can say most zhi- char stall still sell cheap $1 fried noodles and beehoon.

It's not there are no cheap food. The rice a lot, but meat a few pieces only.

I can count just five flatten pieces of duck meat in my $3.00 duck rice!!

Cheap does not mean value for money. I can sell curry laced white rice for $1 for those construction workers.

Last time my camp mess charge 10 cents for curry gravy...Maybe now 20 cents...

Beside my office, golden bridge at shenton way.

chicken rice normal cost S$2.50. Add beancurd (whole) top up 50cents. If chicken thigh, cost $3.

NOw..the tenants all shifted ! no more economical chicken rice.

jurong west market blk 505.............chicken rice S$2............but fishball noodle S$2.50 leh...........

If stay near those places than ok lor. Can't expect everytime waste time and $ to go source for cheap food. Haha. So ultimately will be there are still cheap food around but are they near people places? Some lucky some may not be that lor

i am sure there is at least 1 cheap food near yr work or home. maybe its not yr kind of food, u never order thats y u dono

Neutral Newbie

This Case study is flawed. What they reported is just not representative of what most singaporeans actually experienced. [thumbsdown]

(edited)

the toa payoh hawker centre mix curry rice at $2.20 for 4 dishes.

bedok north market also got 1 curry rice with 4 dishes at 2.50. portion good. quite nice too

there is also 1 nasi lemak, in bedok central near to libarary 3 dishes 2.50.

The stall below boon lay MRt can find $2 (or is it $1.50?) nasi lemak and chicken rice too. Taban garden also have 2.50 nasi lemark with 3 dish.

opposite vivo the hawker center also have nasi lemak 2.50 with 3 dish.

seems like nasi lemak promotion more :D[laugh]

actually come to think of it, almost every place will have 1 stall sell real cheap, u just need to look around.

but of course if u die die wan to compare with orchard road, than bo pian lo

Edited by Tom_kkh

(edited)

jurong west market blk 505.............chicken rice S$2............but fishball noodle S$2.50 leh...........

fish noodle a bit tough to find $2 nowadays.

noodle stuff usually $2.50 which is quite reasonable.

Edited by Tom_kkh

the toa payoh hawker centre mix curry rice at $2.20 for 4 dishes.

huh?? mix curry rice..........$2.20???.................wah.............4 dishes some more............. :o :o

[thumbsup] [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement