Ferry terminal form B'Worth to Penang

Shor

(edited)

I was thinking of crossing Penang from Butterworth ferry terminal. Need advice.

What terminal in Butterworth that cross to Penang? What will be the total time? Upon reaching Penang, what ferry terminal we disembark and from Penang terminal driving to Georgetown, is it another distance. Must we buy the tickets on land or after parking in the ferry?

I know i will be opening a can of worms posting this topic but trying my luck whether any bros can comment on this? Thank you! [:)]

Edited by Shor
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

seriously, do try it, its very nostalgic...there is only 1 ferry terminal where u disembark in Penang Island. Georgetown is nearby, probably 5-10 minutes drive depending on traffic situation. If i remember correctly, u wll queue up in ur car and pay for the tickets prior to boarding. The whole ferry journey takes around 15 minute, costs around rm7.70

Supercharged

I was thinking of crossing Penang from Butterworth ferry terminal. Need advice.

What terminal in Butterworth that cross to Penang? What will be the total time? Upon reaching Penang, what ferry terminal we disembark and from Penang terminal driving to Georgetown, is it another distance. Must we buy the tickets on land or after parking in the ferry?

I know i will be opening a can of worms posting this topic but trying my luck whether any bros can comment on this? Thank you! [:)]

No terminal. Just look for sign to ferry jetty.

When arrive at penang island, it is already georgetown. The colonial buildings are within walking distance from the jetty.

But crossing the bridge to Georgetown I presumed another 30+ km? So you not advisable to cross via ferry? Let's see what others said ok.

seriously, do try it, its very nostalgic...there is only 1 ferry terminal where u disembark in Penang Island. Georgetown is nearby, probably 5-10 minutes drive depending on traffic situation. If i remember correctly, u wll queue up in ur car and pay for the tickets prior to boarding. The whole ferry journey takes around 15 minute, costs around rm7.70

Meaning crossing to Penang I will reach Georgetown, so if my accommodation is in GT, very convenient right?

No terminal. Just look for sign to ferry jetty.

When arrive at penang island, it is already georgetown. The colonial buildings are within walking distance from the jetty.

Supercharged

Meaning crossing to Penang I will reach Georgetown, so if my accommodation is in GT, very convenient right?

Yes, if your hotel is in Gurney drive or Tanjung bunga.

Actually, from the bridge to georgetown, now very easy. There is a new coastal highway. From the bridge to georgetown (jetty) is about 15-20min with normal traffic.

But taking ferry is more relaxing, if you like the sea breeze.

btw, malsing map is very good. It can bring you to use the narrow but shortcut road in Penang. I never got lost.

But crossing the bridge to Georgetown I presumed another 30+ km? So you not advisable to cross via ferry? Let's see what others said ok.

3+ km at the most la... where got 30+ km... [laugh]

Anyway, I take the ferry everytime I drive up to Penang and only take Penang Bridge when I leave Penang. 2 reasons:

1. Cheaper than driving across Penang Bridge

2. Can let car cool down and enjoy the sea breeze

3. Driving out of Penang on Penang Bridge is free

Oh that's great to hear this. I'm too using Malsing map for navigation. So I just set the GPS to my desire hotel in Penang and hit the NS Hwy, it will lead me there right? I hope it will bypass K.L too....thanks mate!

Yes, if your hotel is in Gurney drive or Tanjung bunga.

Actually, from the bridge to georgetown, now very easy. There is a new coastal highway. From the bridge to georgetown (jetty) is about 15-20min with normal traffic.

But taking ferry is more relaxing, if you like the sea breeze.

btw, malsing map is very good. It can bring you to use the narrow but shortcut road in Penang. I never got lost.

Thanks bro!

3+ km at the most la... where got 30+ km... [laugh]

Anyway, I take the ferry everytime I drive up to Penang and only take Penang Bridge when I leave Penang. 2 reasons:

1. Cheaper than driving across Penang Bridge

2. Can let car cool down and enjoy the sea breeze

3. Driving out of Penang on Penang Bridge is free