Arrrrrgghh! Squeaky boots.

Vroomtattat

This Caterpillar boots of mine, which is slightly over a year old, has been squeaking with every steps I take.

Damn irritating and am wondering what's wrong with them? There's no cracks or holes at the sole and no visible slits too.

I actually sound like a toddler walking in those squeaky scandals . . . :blink:

How arhh? AND don't suggest I oil them. (Bear Bear -_- ) Thanks!

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

You can try putting them under the hot sun for one day cos maybe is because of water seep into the boot....it happen to me before

Edited by I-LOVE-CARS

Turbocharged

This Caterpillar boots of mine, which is slightly over a year old, has been squeaking with every steps I take.

Damn irritating and am wondering what's wrong with them? There's no cracks or holes at the sole and no visible slits too.

fwah...u read my mind... [sweatdrop]

The squeak is internal or external?

If external, aka leather squeak, use show polish (same color of course) coat the leather and bake the boots in the sun for

one whole hot day. That will stop it. It's normally the joints, leather sewn with together on another leather piece that is rubbing

against each other that causes this sound. (kiwi shoe polish)

The squeak is internal or external?

If external, aka leather squeak, use show polish (same color of course) coat the leather and bake the boots in the sun for

one whole hot day. That will stop it. It's normally the joints, leather sewn with together on another leather piece that is rubbing

against each other that causes this sound. (kiwi shoe polish)

Mind boggling! I go try tonight. Thanks brudder. [;)]

You can try putting them under the hot sun for one day cos maybe is because of water seep into the boot....it happen to me before

Thanks for the advice brudder! So really gotta bake my boobs . . erh boots. [laugh]

Must be under the stiches which is squeaking :blink:

Could be the heel traction studs 'flexing'.

You know when you take a heel strike, the rubber studs flex outwards when your heel apply a force at the center of heel part.

The rubber studs move outwards and rub against certain smoother flooring.

But if you boots still squeak on asphalt....then something is major wrong!

If possible, do not use Kiwi polish on leather boots. Use it only if you want a uniform color for office shoes. Boots look best with uneven discoloration and creases. In your case, I suggest you buy a tub of mink oil and massage into the stitches and leather. Pay more attention to the top of the welt (if yours is welted).

Leather boots can last more than 40 years if properly taken care of. :)

Buah long long . . . here's more answers to my question. [laugh]

How to stop shoes/(boots?) from squeaking

by Amber-Marie Richardson

Whether they are your work shoes, everyday shoes, or trainers, having a pair of squeaky shoes can be a real annoyance. After all, wearing a pair of squeaky shoes can not only cause a sound infliction to you and those around you, but may also dent your self-confidence and make you feel extremely embarrassed.

What causes shoes to start squeaking?

There are many different reasons why a shoe might start to squeak. One of the most common reasons for squeaky shoes is caused during the manufacturing process. So if you have just bought a pair of shoes, and they are making a squeaking sound, it could most likely be due to this.

Another common reason for why some shoes start to squeak is if they get wet. This is most likely to occur with trainers and it is quite a common problem, even with the more expensive pair of trainers you can purchase. Leather shoes are also prone to becoming squeaky, and this can simply be caused by your own specific usage of the shoes and how well the material sits against your skin.

Finally, a manufacturing fault, worn soles, or even some slight damage to your shoe which may have been incurred without you noticing it, could also explain why a shoe may begin to squeak.

So, how do you stop shoes from squeaking?

There are many simple and practical solutions that can help stop shoes squeaking. However, as squeaky shoes can be caused by a number of different reasons, each case will require a different remedy.

Therefore, the first step towards resolving your embarrassing squeaky shoe problem is to try and identify the where the squeak is coming from, and what may be causing it.

The best way to do this is to actually put on the shoe and try to make a mental note of where the squeaking sound seems to be coming from. Likely sources of the sound are often around the laces, the interior sole of the shoe, around the heel of the shoe, or even where the main body of the shoe might be overlapping with another part of the shoe, (this is especially true with leather boots).

Solution 1: Apply body lotion or petroleum jelly

If the squeaking sound appears to be coming from the material of the shoe, then, applying some body lotion or petroleum jelly to the surface of the shoe may help you to get rid of the squeak. The tongue, lace-up area, and where the shoe naturally bends around the ankle, are the most common areas of the shoe where squeaking sounds originate. So applying body lotion or petroleum jelly to these areas of the shoes could help to make them squeak free.

Solution 2: Use hair conditioner

As well as body lotion and petroleum jelly, rubbing your shoes with a hair conditioner can also help to reduce the squeaking sound that shoes make, particularly if the sound appears to be coming from the outer material of the shoe through rubbing. Like with the previous solution, just apply the hair conditioner to the areas of the shoes where rubbing is most likely to occur and it should help to reduce the noise dramatically.

Solution 3: Sprinkle your shoes with baby powder

If on the other hand, the squeaking sound seems to be originating from the interior of the shoes, then removing the shoe insoles and lightly powdering the interior of the shoes with some baby powder, may help to stop the shoes from squeaking further.

Solution 4: Repair Shoe Heels

Of course, if the squeaking sound appears to be coming from the heel of your shoe, then it might signify that your shoes require repair. In this scenario, taking your shoes to the local cobblers is the best solution and will ensure a quality repair. If you cannot afford this then repairing your shoe with some super glue or other strong adhesive, may provide you with a temporary solution until you can afford something more permanent.

Solution 5: Dry wet shoes thoroughly <-- As suggested by a couple of bruuders here!

Shoes and trainers that have become wet are also prone to becoming squeaky, so another good solution, and preventative measure to the problem of squeaky shoes, is to allow them to dry out thoroughly before re-wearing them. The best way to dry shoes is to leave them in natural sun light. After your shoes have completely dried, you should notice that those annoying squeaking sounds which once plagued you have completely vanished.

Solution 6: Rough up your shoe soles

Finally, another good solution for curing squeaky shoes is to roughen up the bottom of the soles with some sand paper. This is a good solution for new shoes, especially if the squeaking sound appears to be coming from the underneath of the shoe as you walk. Lightly roughening the soles of the shoe will help create some wear, and this should help in minimizing the squeaking sounds coming from your shoes.

Overall while squeaky shoes can be a real annoyance at times, in most cases the squeaking sound associated with new shoes often disappears over time with regular wear. However in the meantime, if that squeaking sound is just too much for you to bear, then using some of these simple tips can provide a more immediate solution to your squeaky shoe problem.

WHO'S the wise guy who invented the Internet?? [thumbsup]

Could be the heel traction studs 'flexing'.

You know when you take a heel strike, the rubber studs flex outwards when your heel apply a force at the center of heel part.

The rubber studs move outwards and rub against certain smoother flooring.

But if you boots still squeak on asphalt....then something is major wrong!

Har har . . . then I should be tip toeing like pink panther? [laugh]

Squeaking sound like got water inside the boots? [:/] Did you went swimming wearing your boots?

Cannot be leh, I go swimming wearing nothing [lipsrsealed]

I am wearing a pair of Caterpillar safety boots as well, for more than 4yrs.

The squeaking sounds that I experienced come from the soles when walking on marble tiled floor.

* imagine the car tyres squealing sounds when driving on some shopping malls MSCP with special-coated road surfaces.

I just ignore the squeaking sounds, which is a sign of good grip on the floor [rolleyes]

↡ Advertisement