Question on warp rotor

Vega

Turbocharged

is it normal for rotor to warp after 20k KM mileage? Can workshop diagnose if a rotor is warp beside the vibration from steering wheel?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

is it normal for rotor to warp after 20k KM mileage? Can workshop diagnose if a rotor is warp beside the vibration from steering wheel?

It is not about the mileage but rather how one drives it or whether was it installed properly. Usually, an experienced mechanic will be able to check whether a rotor has warped through visual and physically testing it. Brake pulsation (ie. step on brake pedal slowly and you will feel it), vibration of steering wheel etc. You or the mechanic can look through your wheel and feel if there are any uneven surfaces/edges on the rotor.

You can either skim the rotor or replace it...depending on its severity.

Ppl always use the the wrong words to describe rotors. It's just uneven wear on the rotor surface. If really warp the rotors will be rubbing against the brake pads even when the brakes are not on. When the rotors are cold use your fingers to go across the surface to determine how uneven it is. If very uneven braking will be compromised.

If you ask about mileage when these rotors wear unevenly, nobody knows cos it largely depends on how you do your braking. Are you those F1 wannabes who brake hard at the very last moment or you brake early and mostly tap your brakes? It also depends on the quality of the OEM rotors and the brake pads.

Heat is another factor to wear. Car engineers make an effort to construct air ducts to cool the brakes & rotors efficiently. How rotors wear largely depends on your foot, how hard you punish your brakes.

(edited)

the diagnose is simply asking the staff to test drive. Dont expect them to take down your rotor to check cause thats could be more expensive than skimming your rotor...

until now, i have not came across anyone that could give me the cause rotor to warp. Some people says its die to poor run in of rotor, the others believe that its due to car wash immediately after driving the car while others believe in hard braking...for me, these some of these reasons are pretty lame.. eg if washing of car (or rather rim) could cause the rotor to warp, then drivers dont need to drive in the rain already...

When your rotor is warp, you will either skim (or rather grind) or replace it. The cost is almost the same in Sigapore, unless you cut it in Malaysia. I would recomend you to replace it since rotor is cheap.

Edited by Tigershark1976

AD mechanic also use the term warp to distingush the severity of uneven wear.

You could feel it when braking, almost like ABS braking, even at normal braking.

Mine was replaced within the first 3 years of warranty. FOC.

So, if yours is 20K, you should go back to AD, it may be covered under warranty.

AD mechanic also use the term warp to distingush the severity of uneven wear.

You could feel it when braking, almost like ABS braking, even at normal braking.

Mine was replaced within the first 3 years of warranty. FOC.

So, if yours is 20K, you should go back to AD, it may be covered under warranty.

Not every AD gives warranty to wear & tear parts.

Accident?

Steering wheel vibration more likely due to wheels mis-aligned, wheels unbalanced, steering damper worn/damaged.

Rotor warp after 20k km likely due to workshop want to create more business.

Accident?

Steering wheel vibration more likely due to wheels mis-aligned, wheels unbalanced, steering damper worn/damaged.

Rotor warp after 20k km likely due to workshop want to create more business.

something new to me... care to share how workshop warp the rotor?

Turbocharged

Thanks for all the advice thus far. Let me provide more info so that you can advice me further. I am on after market BBK and it's from a reputable brand which I am not going to mention the name here. I do a fair bit of NSHW and B road that require me to do hard braking time to time. I just wonder is 20K mileage normal to cos my rotor to warp so early?

Twincharged

Thanks for all the advice thus far. Let me provide more info so that you can advice me further. I am on after market BBK and it's from a reputable brand which I am not going to mention the name here. I do a fair bit of NSHW and B road that require me to do hard braking time to time. I just wonder is 20K mileage normal to cos my rotor to warp so early?

Guess ur answer is very obvious already.. So it is the hard breaking and from time to time.. and did you wash car straight away NSHW trip? I mean as in chiong NSHW than go wash car after that.. it could be the rotor haven't fully cooled down and is still very hot and when wash car and the water sprayed onto the rotor chances of rotor warp will increase..

Turbocharged

No. In fact, I seldom wash my car. After run, is usually follow by petrol fill up, car warm down and chit chat at the petrol station before cross back to SG. 20k mileage is kind of short.........

Guess ur answer is very obvious already.. So it is the hard breaking and from time to time.. and did you wash car straight away NSHW trip? I mean as in chiong NSHW than go wash car after that.. it could be the rotor haven't fully cooled down and is still very hot and when wash car and the water sprayed onto the rotor chances of rotor warp will increase..

so if driving in NSHW, suddently rain... need to quickly park 1 side n take cover just in case rotor get warp?? [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Twincharged
(edited)

so if driving in NSHW, suddently rain... need to quickly park 1 side n take cover just in case rotor get warp?? [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

That 1 bo bian le lor.. anyway usually people drive NSHW seldom use brake alot leh.. so long and straight... unless the driver is those super hiong type always want chiong very fast, keep tailgate etc.. than of coz will use brake a lot at NSHW.. So also depends on driving style 1..

Edited by Yewheng

Twincharged
(edited)

as usual can read this....

stoptech

skim the rotors and problem will go away....

MYTH # 6 - The brake fluid reservoir should be topped up during routine service.

"In most modern passenger cars, the brake fluid reservoir is designed with a specific volume and is equipped with an internal float. The volume corresponds to the amount of fluid that will be displaced when the pads have worn to the point of replacement plus a generous reserve. When the replacement point is reached, the descending float completes an electrical circuit and a light appears on the dash warning the driver that the pads should be replaced.

If the brake fluid is topped up the first warning of warn out pads will be the screech of steel backing plate against iron disc. This will be both annoying and expensive."

It spot on.. when open bonnet and notice that brake fluid reservoir is low.. see whether the brake pad going to finish not.. as usually if the seal of the brake fluid reservoir is not broken and there is no leakage, the drop in level in reservoir simply means the brake pad also wear at the current rate ( as a rough guide). Meaning if brake fluid drop to 1l2, than the brake pad proberly also use half.. So in a sense if brake fluid drop everytime go servicing.. do not top up brake fluid as it will cause inaccurate reading in how much brake pad have left as a rough guide.. and it is more important in more expensive car as the brake fluid has sensor that sense brake fluid reservior is low.. and if everytime servicing go top up.. than the brake fluid will never drop to low level even if brake is going to wear off.. as it is frequent offset by toping up of brake fluid..

Edited by Yewheng

(edited)

as usual can read this....

stoptech

skim the rotors and problem will go away....

some who skimmed their rotors said it's advisable to skim them once, if they wear out / warp again, change a new set [:)]

for those who track and do lots of hard brakings (really hard, which is common in track driving), sometimes their rotors also warp after a while....

however, not all brake vibrations are due to warped or unevenly-worn rotors, there may be other causes. [:)]

competibility between the physical properties of rotor and brake pad also may damage the rotor, but not necessarily end up having the rotor warped [:)]

Edited by KARTer

Twincharged
(edited)

some who skimmed their rotors said it's advisable to skim them once, if they wear out / warp again, change a new set [:)]

for those who track and do lots of hard brakings (really hard, which is common in track driving), sometimes their rotors also warp after a while....

however, not all brake vibrations are due to warped or unevenly-worn rotors, there may be other causes. [:)]

competibility between the physical properties of rotor and brake pad also may damage the rotor, but not necessarily end up having the rotor warped [:)]

Like brake pad not suitable with the rotor.. and brake pad worn unevenly.. am I right to say that?

Edited by Yewheng
↡ Advertisement