Hawker food remains affordable for sgporeans - CASE

Speedz76

(edited)

saw this article published on CASE website

are we missing something here? or am i the only one feeling this statement is off

"331 out of 611 (54%) stalls sold cooked food at $2.50 or lower", and i dont think the $2.50 portion is sufficient for most of us, even if it is really true

[smash]

http://www.case.org.sg/news.html

9 June 2011

Media Release

HAWKER FOOD REMAINS AFFORDABLE FOR SINGAPOREANS

According to a survey conducted by the Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE), prices of cooked food sold in non air-conditioned coffeeshops and hawker centres remain affordable in April.

The survey focused on five common food items: chicken nasi briyani, chicken rice, fishball noodles, roti prata (plain) and mixed vegetables rice (consisting of two vegetables and one meat), based on the cheapest single portion available. A total of 611 stalls in four zones– North, South, East and West, were surveyed.

Survey findings show that 331 out of 611 (54%) stalls sold cooked food at $2.50 or lower. Chicken rice stalls hold the highest percentage (about 70%) of stalls selling their hawker fare at $2.50 or less. However, majority of Chicken Nasi Briyani stalls retail at $4.50. Figures 2.1 to 2.5 in the Appendix show the percentage of stalls with food prices in a particular range.

CASE also came across 28 stalls that offered competitive prices on food items and would like to highlight them. Please refer to figure 3.1 of the Appendix for more details.

The survey also found:

1. 4 out of 611 (0.65%) stalls charged for take-away. The amount charged for take-away was 20 cents on average.

2. 11 out of 67 (16.4%) of roti prata stalls required customers to purchase a minimum of 2 pieces of roti prata (plain).

3. The modal prices for chicken nasi briyani, chicken rice, fishball noodles, mixed vegetables rice and roti prata were $4.50, $2.50, $2.50, $2.50 and $0.80 respectively.

4. The majority of stalls displayed their prices clearly on signboards.

CASE encourages all hawker stall owners to display the prices of food items prominently so that consumers can make informed choices. In this survey, 2 stalls had inconsistent pricing with what was displayed on their signboards. One of them charged $4.50 for chicken nasi briyani when the signboard displayed a price of $4, while the other stall charged $5 for chicken nasi briyani when the signboard displayed a price of $5.50.

In conclusion, the survey findings showed that affordable food is still available at hawker centres and coffeeshops. CASE encourages consumers to patronise stalls that continue to offer good value for money.

CASE will continue to monitor the prices of cooked food as we believe it will spur hawkers to keep their prices competitive for consumers.

Yeo Guat Kwang

CASE President

Edited by Speedz76
↡ Advertisement

Actually for most of us who live relatively sedentary lifestyles these days, the small portions are more than sufficient for our needs. Just that our appetites are not so easily satisfied.

For me, depends. If I do a lot of outdoor work during a certain period I can easily eat 3 of the $2.50 bowls of noodles at one go. But if I haven't been too active, as is the case recently due to laziness from driving too much, one is enough.

2.5 yes can get you 2 kosong prata but is that sufficient?

while 2.5 food is available, but i doubt the widespread 54%.

in any case, case is not known to be of much use from my understanding.

Actually for most of us who live relatively sedentary lifestyles these days, the small portions are more than sufficient for our needs. Just that our appetites are not so easily satisfied.

For me, depends. If I do a lot of outdoor work during a certain period I can easily eat 3 of the $2.50 bowls of noodles at one go. But if I haven't been too active, as is the case recently due to laziness from driving too much, one is enough.

the thing is $2.50 might be able to fill a person up..but the nutrition level leaves much to be desired..if really want to fill up to the max..might as well eat white bread with plain water :wacko:

Can they also publish what are the items and where to find them? Was the survey done is low traffic area like school canteen or factory canteen? Or items meant for breakfast and not for full meal? Ah kun breakfast already $4+!

Turbocharged

I disagree.

Without a doubt a S$2.5 portion is sufficient for us but we are too greedy and want more.

I deffo include myself in the too greedy bit.

the portion is really small now compared to years back.

one example, i still remember laksa then had pieces of lean meat and shrimps.. now its just some fish cake and tou-gay, some even done away with cockles [thumbsdown]

my usual serving is about $5... such as $2.50 chick rice and $2.50 fried carrot cake.

one thing good about small portion.. u are forced to order more variety :wacko:

What is the root cause of price increase for hawker food? Perhaps our dear garment should address this first rather than pushing the hawkers to maintain the price of $2.50.

No need to beat around the bush. Amid food prices and fuel prices inflation they still go ahead with the rental increase. In order to stay competitive hawkers of course dare not make much price increase and so they compromise in food quantity and perhaps quality. Those who eat hawker food are not blind and they are certainly not stupid. The survey stats are for somebody else to read.

(edited)

$2.5 to get mixed vege rice very unlikely already. Most are charging $3 to $4

Goldenshoe hawker centre - 4 dishes $2.30 incl rice, quality and portion is fit for an adult male to consume

Edited by Fishy

Singaporeans have been complaining abt how ex our food here.Compare to Malaysia,I think ours here is quite ok liao.Last year,I went to Ipoh and Penang,their wanton noodles cost avg$3-4 per serving.If u take into their avg income,their inflations are much worst than sin.But of coz,if we go there and spend,it is cheaper becoz of the xchange rates.

Eating out in Singapore still cheap in relative terms to income. Portions are usually smaller so if you compare with same portions elsewhere it's probably about the same as many well developed countries. Prefer small portions lower price. Avoids some food courts with poor quality food and demands higher price. Rent is critical factor but doesn't mean food got to be bad.

Portions are usually smaller so if you compare with same portions elsewhere it's probably about the same as many well developed countries.

i'd differ on this point. price for price, overseas portions usually give more. Sg portions damn sad.

Guess I phrased it badly. SG portions are small and we're on the same page. If SG portions are equivalent to say HK or US then SG price are not cheaper.

i'd differ on this point. price for price, overseas portions usually give more. Sg portions damn sad.

Singaporeans have been complaining abt how ex our food here.Compare to Malaysia,I think ours here is quite ok liao.Last year,I went to Ipoh and Penang,their wanton noodles cost avg$3-4 per serving.If u take into their avg income,their inflations are much worst than sin.But of coz,if we go there and spend,it is cheaper becoz of the xchange rates.

I don't think that is an accurate view.

Penang prices are comparable to Singapore due to it's proximity as a tourism/trading/manufacturing hub and one of the unofficial 'small capitals'.

The tourism food industry cost is definitely high if you go to Gurney, etc... However, there are still many cheap and good eats around the place if you explore a little and eat at coffeeshops.

I make occassional trips to Ipoh to visit my supplier and I have never been to a coffeeshop where the wanton mee costs more than RM 2.50.

Moreover, at RM 2.50, the portion is large with added on ingredients like 4-6 wantons in the soup on top of the fried ones and meat accompanying the noodles. Dimsum there for the early morning crowd is sumptious(comparable to HK quality) and cheap with one basket on average costing around Rm1.80 to Rm3.20 depending on what you order. I once ordered breakfast for a group of 6 and the total bill was around RM30.00 despite ordering virtually everything available at all the coffeeshop. Iced Ipoh White Coffee, one large packet(bulging at the seams) costs around Rm0.80 to Rm1.20. BBQ Stingray, lala, 'chut-chut', seahums and sotong cost me a grand total of Rm32.00, and portions are large. Their Rm8 stingray larger than our SGD12.00 counterpart.

For the tiko rangers, the, *ahem*, 'entertainment' there is also quite affordable and goes on till around 6a.m. Note a 'country club' and all night entertainment hub around the area. The pubs are a waste of time.

↡ Advertisement