Motoring Magazine DISCONTINUED

Marcostan

(edited)

Yesterday I received the following message through email:

Dear Valued Subscriber,

It was indeed a pleasure to have worked with you on the above mentioned title.

Since its inception, the title has garnered its share of readers in this highly competitive market and you have helped in making this possible.

However, taking a long term business view, the management has made a decision and the publication of Motoring will be discontinued. The last issue will be the Jun 2011 edition.

Indeed very sad for a long history Singapore Car magazine was discontinued. [bigcry]

Edited by Marcostan
↡ Advertisement

I used to subcribe long time ago, one of my fav local title

Now can only switch to Torque or BBC Topgear

(edited)

well... it got pretty boring and stayed boring... the only locally produced magazine imo that can make it is Torque (cannot incld. localised versions of TG/EVO)

i've always wondered how does SG sustain so many car magazines... now there's Torque, Bestcar, TG, EVO, 9tro, Hotstuff, Wheels Asia... what else... for this tiny non-car-loving govt. nation?

Edited by Mockngbrd

Yesterday I received the following message through email:

Dear Valued Subscriber,

It was indeed a pleasure to have worked with you on the above mentioned title.

Since its inception, the title has garnered its share of readers in this highly competitive market and you have helped in making this possible.

However, taking a long term business view, the management has made a decision and the publication of Motoring will be discontinued. The last issue will be the Jun 2011 edition.

Indeed very sad for a long history Singapore Car magazine was discontinued. [bigcry]

[:(]

Actually, I prefer the non Singapore Autocar, EVo, Top Gear. Anyway, half of the stuff of the Singapore edition are from U.K anyway.

Used to subscribe Motoring long ago and it came with a lot of freebies like engine oil and accessories... But after that I preferred torque magazine because Motoring was getting boring and had lots of grammatical errors and spelling mistakes which kinda irritated me - its like there is no pride in their work at all.

Turbocharged

Torque has an incredible budget, and hugely deep pockets so its not surprising it leads the locals.

I am still sad about Autocar disappearing - I loved it. Evo is doing a good job, as does TG amongst the licensed publications.

The market here is indeed overcroweded and doing an automotive title is hard hard work - and the politics make it even more so.

Usually e magazines are sustained thru advertisers + nt just subscribers alone. Tink over time, advertisers switched to other "newer" car mags and so resources thinned.

"Motoring" was my 1st car mag read and I only switched when e articles became almost identical to other mags....sometimes same cars reviewed and tat became boring becos e opinions more or less close.

Still, it gave me some gd memories....one where I won a prize of aftermarket sunroof for my swift gti then.

Will miss seeing a familar "face" at e newstand....30 years is a long time and an admirable feat to hv survived tat long.....some din even make it past 5.

• Praise 1

Wonder how would they refund undelivered copies. Been subscribing it for the last four years, Imo its one of the better local car write up. Thought They have steady support of advertisers i.e. rikecool. [:(]

Turbocharged

Wonder how would they refund undelivered copies. Been subscribing it for the last four years, Imo its one of the better local car write up. Thought They have steady support of advertisers i.e. rikecool. [:(]

I don't think those people were paying very much - and just look at how few advertisers were actually inside.

Supersonic

i was surprised the mag was still around. the articles boh std one and every car reviewed oso 'good'. won't be surprised if the articles came from the agent's marcomm's dept. [laugh]

Turbocharged

to them all the cars are good, even china made. lost the credibility

Hee [:p]

Last time I supposed to review a car - it was so bad I returned it to the dealer with no review - as if I write sure have to whack it jialat jialat until the distributor angry - and is never wise to piss of an advertiser.

Kind of like if wife ask "do these pants make me look fat" you change the subject right?

Usually e magazines are sustained thru advertisers + nt just subscribers alone. Tink over time, advertisers switched to other "newer" car mags and so resources thinned.

"Motoring" was my 1st car mag read and I only switched when e articles became almost identical to other mags....sometimes same cars reviewed and tat became boring becos e opinions more or less close.

Still, it gave me some gd memories....one where I won a prize of aftermarket sunroof for my swift gti then.

Will miss seeing a familar "face" at e newstand....30 years is a long time and an admirable feat to hv survived tat long.....some din even make it past 5.

Agreed. Advertiser is what kept a magazine publisher going. Sales is just secondary

Along side with Motoring, there used to be a magazine call Drive. Some of you may remember.

I have been subscribing to Torque for almost 20 yrs.