Work past retirement age-- a choice or a need?

Speedz76

another wtf article... who was actually surveyed.. how did they conduct the survey??

according to the article..72% of sg employees would be happier working two years past the official retirement age without any additional financial benefit.. funny thing is none of my colleagues felt this way... so i guess we belong to the other 28% of singaporeans

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1136425/1/.html

Most S'poreans want to work past retirement age: survey

By Jonathan Peeris | Posted: 21 June 2011 2254 hrs

SINGAPORE : Singaporean employees want to work past the retirement age and upgrade their skills, according to the latest Randstad Workmonitor survey released on Tuesday.

It found that 72 per cent of Singaporean employees would be happier working two years past the official retirement age without any additional financial benefits.

The survey also showed that 66 per cent of Singapore employees interviewed said their career now demands more education and training than ever before, while more than a third said they felt their current job was beyond their current abilities.

Interestingly, four out of ten people surveyed would prefer a position with more responsibility, even if there was no increase in salary.

The survey also indicated a high level of confidence among employees, with 61 per cent believing recruitment of good talent had been increasing since the financial crisis and 65 per cent believing their companies were in a good position to hire well-qualified staff.

The findings also indicated a four per cent rise in employee satisfaction to 61 per cent among Singapore employees since its last quarterly release.

However, 74 per cent felt that more people would leave to work abroad in the future.

Randstad regional director for Singapore and Malaysia, Karin Clarke, said this highlighted the priority for employers to focus on strong talent retention and attraction strategies.

The research surveyed 405 Singaporeans from May 2 to 13, as part of a global quarterly survey of 13,565 employees, which tracks employee confidence, mobility, job satisfaction and personal motivation.

- CNA/al

↡ Advertisement

another wtf article... who was actually surveyed.. how did they conduct the survey??

according to the article..72% of sg employees would be happier working two years past the official retirement age without any additional financial benefit.. funny thing is none of my colleagues felt this way... so i guess we belong to the other 28% of singaporeans

SINGAPORE : Singaporean employees want to work past the retirement age and upgrade their skills, according to the latest Randstad Workmonitor survey released on Tuesday.

It found that 72 per cent of Singaporean employees would be happier working two years past the official retirement age without any additional financial benefits.

The survey also showed that 66 per cent of Singapore employees interviewed said their career now demands more education and training than ever before, while more than a third said they felt their current job was beyond their current abilities.

Interestingly, four out of ten people surveyed would prefer a position with more responsibility, even if there was no increase in salary.

The survey also indicated a high level of confidence among employees, with 61 per cent believing recruitment of good talent had been increasing since the financial crisis and 65 per cent believing their companies were in a good position to hire well-qualified staff.

The findings also indicated a four per cent rise in employee satisfaction to 61 per cent among Singapore employees since its last quarterly release.

However, 74 per cent felt that more people would leave to work abroad in the future.

Randstad regional director for Singapore and Malaysia, Karin Clarke, said this highlighted the priority for employers to focus on strong talent retention and attraction strategies.

The research surveyed 405 Singaporeans from May 2 to 13, as part of a global quarterly survey of 13,565 employees, which tracks employee confidence, mobility, job satisfaction and personal motivation.

- CNA/al

Some marketing strategies

it could be true if you are 60 and still able, you probably not ready to retire and do nothing at home!

i'll be happy to work past retirement age, until i die or can no longer work any more. Till date i've never been able to be on leave more than a week without feeling bored n restless, even overseas on holiday. But a 4-day work week or very leisurely working hours will be good hehe. By that age it should be more than the money-matters.....if one really needs a large salary by that age, it means they have not been working hard/smart when they were younger.

My peers also have the same views as your colleagues [:)]

The credibility of such surveys is doubtful.

On the other hands, i do know some low-income older folks who really need to work till the day they kick the bucket, just for survival. But working beyound retirement age for free?? ............ I dont think so.

Did the 'survey' cover mainly the rich n elites who have problems using up their immense wealth and after retirement still need some jobs (chairman ship, directorships etc) to remain in power even without pay? These are the ones who have too much money and time, but 'nowhere to go' except occupying such high positions.

Of course there are also good and genuine directors, chairman who really contribute.

If work to past time - I wouldn't mind BUT if work to survive then [bigcry]

yes, my dream retirement jobs:- one of them is to drive taxi parttime using a skoda Turbo Charge... :D (can also drive it to do shopping with my wife)

There will always b some who wants to work after retirement to keep away boredom + nt rely on their children to support them and others who need to continue working to survive, either cos of debts or children who cannot take care of them.

Such surveys are always to b taken w pinches of salt as e ppl covered may nt b representative of all or e ppl surveyed do nt speak e truth (sometimes to save "face"). Whether it is a choice or a need differs frm individuals....I hv met some who fall into these groups and it is interesting that some actually welcome e opportunity to work whilst others kpkb abt having to keep workg till they die.

Just a sharing

Cheers

• Praise 1

Well, let's see... they say 72% of Sinkie...

With more then 80% of Sinkie living in condemned pigeon holes....

And considering that most have to service their 30 years mortgage loans till way past 55...

I'll say that it's NOT A CHOICE for these Sinkies! [laugh][laugh]

Well, let's see... they say 72% of Sinkie...

With more then 80% of Sinkie living in condemned pigeon holes....

And considering that most have to service their 30 years mortgage loans till way past 55...

I'll say that it's NOT A CHOICE for these Sinkies! [laugh][laugh]

The lure of 5Cs, asset-enhancement, all of which parts of miw's propognada for 'a better life' is making these 80% over committed themselves and gone beyond a decent roof over their heads.... although not entirely miw's 'fault' but slanted veiws of life provided by them plays a part in the current situation of most of us carrying a heavy burden for the next 20-30 years. If we are happy with that, no issue.

my malaysian frens say they pity the older folks in singapore...

in malaysia... when one reach 50plus... basically spend time " la kopi", cow peh the garmen, go sing karaoke... help out in temple, church, mosque, grass root... no need to work...

in singapore, you see them starting to find another job of lower pay cos replaced by cheaper alternatives...

i think wrong le that statement, it should be 60.1% now

i think i in the minority

i think wrong le that statement, it should be 60.1% now

i think i in the minority

i hope i die in my sleep when i hit 50

my malaysian frens say they pity the older folks in singapore...

in malaysia... when one reach 50plus... basically spend time " la kopi", cow peh the garmen, go sing karaoke... help out in temple, church, mosque, grass root... no need to work...

in singapore, you see them starting to find another job of lower pay cos replaced by cheaper alternatives...

And that is ...IF...the older Sinkie can find another job! [laugh]

Well...these Sinkie definitely deserve for what they get...

Firstly for being greedy and show offs...and keep voting for the ppl they they think will...'take care of their needs'! [laugh]

i hope i die in my sleep when i hit 50

That's a good way to die...

But unfortunately...

One CAN'T choose the way to GO!...well...mostly anyway... :D

↡ Advertisement