Japan cars tested for radiation

Soya

Supersonic

From CNA:

SYDNEY: Australian nuclear inspectors on Tuesday said they were to examine a shipment of cars arriving from tsunami-hit Japan following fears a number of the vehicles might be contaminated with radiation.

ARPANSA, Australia's nuclear safety agency, said it would board the cargo ship Trans Future 7 when it docked south of Sydney on Thursday after a request from port workers.

"This inspection is being made to reassure stevedores after concerns from the Maritime Union of Australia that as 30 of the cars are used vehicles they may possibly have originated from the tsunami and nuclear affected areas," an ARPANSA spokesman told AFP.

"These concerns have arisen after the discovery of low levels of radioactivity in cars recently shipped from Yokohama (to Chile)."

The 800-car shipment was being tested "simply as a precaution," the spokesman added.

"ARPANSA advises that the risk to health of people handling mail, containers or cargo arriving from the affected areas in Japan is assessed as very low," he said.

Australian new car sales slumped 14.5 per cent year-on-year in May due to "delays in delivery of Japanese manufactured vehicles" associated with the March quake and tsunami in Japan, according to the statistics bureau.

Japan is Australia's major automotive supplier, accounting for some 33 per cent of car and parts imports.

-AFP/wk

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

lol,

One of my race cars is in Fukushima.

I have a race there at end of august.

The circuit is inside the 80km zone........ :D

The car and the circuit have been tested and radiation level is around 10x higher than normal - but thats no more dangerous than being on a plane.

.....but im taking my own food and water with me :D

Edited by Badder

Really ? Care to elaborate ?

japan motto is cheap & lasting, safety not included, china motto is cheap & undercut, safety also not an issue

Imagine your car is powered by nuclear fuel !! No more petrol pump and can last for years, not to mention the power it can generate. Hahaha.. :wub:

Imagine your car is powered by nuclear fuel !! No more petrol pump and can last for years, not to mention the power it can generate. Hahaha.. :wub:

And lets see, in case of accident, should the fuel rod casing cracks you get a 20km radius evacuation... damn siok~!... we will be ask to run here run there everyday~!...

↡ Advertisement