Question: 4 off days for maids

SimonTan

I know one my off days, I don't go back to office to enjoy air con, or use the free internet or photo printer.

How about maids off days?

Can they stay at home?

I mean if they stay at home, do they have to hide in their room?

Or can they walk around, watch TV with kids, eat their cookies, surf on their laptop, etc. Just dirty the house and no need to clean up until the next day?

How will one feel when the family is cleaning and arranging the house, while the maid is sitting around and watching the owner clean their own house for once.

So if the off days are implemented, must the maid be out of the house?

Also if the compulsory Sunday off, does it mean 00:00am till 23:59pm, exactly 24hours or what?

Anyone with the answer?

↡ Advertisement

i find maids very cham...need to eat and sleep w the boss family 24/7 while we still have after office hours for ourselves.

if i were to face my boss 24/7 everyday, i will feel very sian.

i am quite sure the maids will prefer to go out with their friends or even shopping..rather than stay at their "workplace"

There was this talk on 938 live the other day regarding off days for maids. Got 1 fellow call in say maids no need off day, they go out with the family they are happy already. Too bad cannot question the guy, I would like to ask him how about your company after 5 days work, on your suppose it off days ask you go to Taka for outstation duty like insurance agent, would he be happy as this is what the maid is going through. There is another guy even more funny, he say let the market decide their pay and what is needed for them, its already a joke that a law to mandate off day for a fellow human being, to determine pay from market yes, but an off day, I say hell no, thats not how we should treat a fellow human being.

I agree once a month off, they will go out.

But now the gov want to chap-ji-kar to implement compulsory off days.

By compulsory, means the maids must die die be out of the office/home during their off days right?

So if those maid want to stay at home, eat the lunch or dinner, etc. Can the employer charge the maid expenses for that off day that was spent at home?

Not trying to be funny...just thinking out loud.

Bro, I believe its in the contract that the employer will provide the food and living space. They are not paid super high salary to come here to work, if such basic civil rights have to stated as law, something is wrong with the employers in Singapore.

Hypersonic

By compulsory, means the maids must die die be out of the office/home during their off days right?

So if those maid want to stay at home, eat the lunch or dinner, etc. Can the employer charge the maid expenses for that off day that was spent at home?

[laugh] No need to be so extreme lah. If you go back to office on off days, would your boss charge you rental for using the aircon, computer or just sitting there?

Anyway, I'm all for off days for maids. They are human beings and should be treated as such. The only problem lies with MOM with the $5k security bond. That is the thing stopping employer from giving maids off days.

i find maids very cham...need to eat and sleep w the boss family 24/7 while we still have after office hours for ourselves.

Too bad many Singaporeans do not think like you. If not this problem would not have pop up in the first place.

(edited)

if u need to charge ur maid for meal consumed at home during off days, i think ur maid also has the rights to list out what's covered in her job scope..

employing a maid doesnt mean u need to jail her at home. if u are so scare of this and that, please, look after ur house and kids yourself.

Edited by Babyt

(edited)

IMHO....4 off days a mth is too much.

Cos you have to bear in mind thier salary.

Every off day spend roughly $50, its gona hit thier salary hard. I assume thats 30% to 50% ????

Once or twice a mth is about right.

As for the off day staying at home, its up to the maid. She can do whatever she want be it at home or outside. Housework can always be schedule before and after her off day. Cant it ?

Edited by Hiphiphoray

Have 2 pay schemes.

One for maid- with-off-day; another without. Not all maids want off days too.

Let market decide.

They apply this differential pricing principle on all things from HDB to COE but why not this one?

[laugh] No need to be so extreme lah. If you go back to office on off days, would your boss charge you rental for using the aircon, computer or just sitting there?

Anyway, I'm all for off days for maids. They are human beings and should be treated as such. The only problem lies with MOM with the $5k security bond. That is the thing stopping employer from giving maids off days.

Another fear is that with outside contact, they start to compare their work and employer and the grass becomes greener elsewhere when actually hearsay do not give them the full picture as each household is unique. Some employers got bitten from own experiences.

Hdb & Coe is non living items, this is the life of another human being.

Exactly. And free will we much give - let the maid choose how much she wants to be paid.

Extend the line of questioning

1. I do not know if it's compulsory for all companies to buy insurance for their employee, but I do know that some coverage are for during work purpose only. So why is it that maid employers are must buy insurance for their employees (maids)? And if the compulsory off days become a reality, does the insurance coverage cease on those off-days?

2. If I commit a crime on my off days, my company is not responsible for me, although I su[ppose they may chose to terminate my employment if that action is justifies. So if maids were to commit a crime, does it mean that their employers are also not responsible for ANYTHING for their employee and that they may choose to fire thair maid if reasons are sound? (ie no need post bail, no need to pay for arrangement to send maid home ... etc)

Afterall, the rationale is to approach this an a employer-employee welfare/responsibilty thingy, then we should also be fair to the employer here too right?

U cant see it this way.

If they dont work overseas, they will probably only earn 10-20% or even stay unemployed indefinately. They just aint enough work back home.

Unlike the malaysians, Philio, thais and even mynamar, they are not as employable as this group of ppl.

How many indonesian employee u have in your company ? I have none!!!

What is the population of indoneisa ????? Thailand + Malaysia + Philio combine is not even near it.

Would you prefer to see employer face or see starvation back home ?

(edited)

off day or not the only winner is the garment - cause they collect the levy regardless. Got problem? your problem! maid run away? you problem! maid got pregnant? your problem! but i have to said alot of singaporean employer [thumbsdown] just look at my colleague!

Edited by Assaxefour