Hankook Tyres??? Might wanna think again............

Gtrviper

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys,

I've considered about starting this thread for a long time... In the end, I felt that I should let everyone know about what happen... Not to complaint/blackmail but just to share..

I bought my set of RS3 from hankook (one of their highest range, I believe) in last oct. 3 months after installing them, I realize my car is alittle bumpy when cruising at slow speed (50-80). I thought it was my suspension setup thus I went back to my workshop (I am currently one of the employee there) but it was found out to be my tyres which has bumps on them (3 out of 4). The bumps appear on a single spot on the tyres individually. I called the sales guy and he asked me to drive down and let him have a look.

I went down and after inspection, they agreed that they are some issues with my tyres which they cannot determine the cause at that point of time. I waited 2 months for the hankook korean "engineer" to make his trip down and he will decided the next course of action.

The final verdict is HANKOOK do not warranty uneven wear on their tyres, even when they are not sure what could be the cause of it. They sort of blame it on my car's hardware but if so, the bumps would be all around the tyres and not just that single spot.

PS I used to be on 17" v8rs and it serve me well for 16 months on the exact same car with same h/w.

I am utterly disappointed by this and sadly after 5 years of hankook supporter, I will be changing and NEVER going back again.

↡ Advertisement

Hi guys,

I've considered about starting this thread for a long time... In the end, I felt that I should let everyone know about what happen... Not to complaint/blackmail but just to share..

I bought my set of RS3 from hankook (one of their highest range, I believe) in last oct. 3 months after installing them, I realize my car is alittle bumpy when cruising at slow speed (50-80). I thought it was my suspension setup thus I went back to my workshop (I am currently one of the employee there) but it was found out to be my tyres which has bumps on them (3 out of 4). The bumps appear on a single spot on the tyres individually. I called the sales guy and he asked me to drive down and let him have a look.

I went down and after inspection, they agreed that they are some issues with my tyres which they cannot determine the cause at that point of time. I waited 2 months for the hankook korean "engineer" to make his trip down and he will decided the next course of action.

The final verdict is HANKOOK do not warranty uneven wear on their tyres, even when they are not sure what could be the cause of it. They sort of blame it on my car's hardware but if so, the bumps would be all around the tyres and not just that single spot.

PS I used to be on 17" v8rs and it serve me well for 16 months on the exact same car with same h/w.

I am utterly disappointed by this and sadly after 5 years of hankook supporter, I will be changing and NEVER going back again.

What do you think, is the real reason for that bump? Kind of material defects or engineering defects? I was about to change to hancook..

Hypersonic

Hi guys,

LLST??? [:(]

they are not doing anything???................which outlet you went huh???

Turbocharged

great, another reason why i should move back to ku31....i personally already decided to change back to kumho ku31 after my V12 gone botak when the v12 is around 5k mileage..... now should be around 20K+ already....... [:p]

You get what you pay for?? Haha.

I suppose it's an oversight of the engineer who designed the tyre that's affecting you.

The problem wouldn't be affecting products throughout their lineup right?

Neutral Newbie

Hi Tanhangkiang,

I dun think im qualify to answer as I dun have a huge knowledge on tyres. But simple logic can be apply here.

Same car with same hardware setup

1) on 17" Hankook v8rs for 16mths --> no problem

2) on 17" Hankook RS3 for 3 months (not even 5000 km) --> car feels like a boat

My own colleagues (average exp on BMW for 5 yrs) confirm no issue with the h/w and they are the ones who found one the tyres has bumps

You can make our own deduction

Hi Tianmo,

Went to their branch in woodlands ind park.

Anyway, there are rumors that if the tyres has bumps, they might rupture during high speed driving especially if hit a small pothole or something.

Any guys can confirm this?? Dying to change them but new set will easily cost me ard 1k and this set not even 10,000 km used yet........

Sianzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

i think its the quality of the compound, surprised that top range tire can be like that. even my cheapo duro tyres dont have this problem. i think moral of story buy high end model must also get high end brand

Hi guys,

Hankook tyres already priced like the Japanese, better buy Japanese.

Korean/China/Taiwan/MY rubbers I find tend to harden up faster than the Japanese.

If you want cheaper but still performance orientated, the Kumho KU36 is hard to beat. At least they are substantially cheaper than the Japanese [:p]

I'm on S1 Evo for the past 18 months. No problem at all except that the dry grip is not as fantastic as I expected, but maybe it's because of loose gravel on Malaysian road when taking a highspeed curve.

I have used the V8RS, the V12 and the K415...

No problems at all...

Hankook is a brand that i will always consider when the time comes to change tyres. [rolleyes]

I've been using K415 (YOM 3108) for 50,000+ km and almost 2.5 years, so far hvnt gave me any problems leh. Guess it's p-- ---g sway lor.

P0h h3ng sway. lol

I've been using K415 (YOM 3108) for 50,000+ km and almost 2.5 years, so far hvnt gave me any problems leh. Guess it's p-- ---g sway lor.

Supersonic

I think it might be some isolated case which you are unlucky and got some defected tyres? Or all hankook tyres really like this? [:/]

(edited)

no wonder within tyre industry, it is called "humkoo" as hump caused by the bump :)

AD dun have technical team locally to make initial assessment meh, what does salesman knows?

Edited by Help1
↡ Advertisement