Is ford a continental car?

Ithunk

Neutral Newbie

VM always short change us with lower spec cars. But again, every company has his way of doing business (be it business goal and restriction). I believe Ford has the potential to be a up and coming brand in Singapore. Provided VM got their act right and listen to the market demand more. I urged people to do a blind test. Sit in the new Mondeo and feel its quality, and compare it with similar range cars like the Passat etc. Then compare the ride quality and handling. People would start to appreciate their cars more.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

You are SPOT ON ! :D Its basically islander language that is half abstract. Nobody else in the world makes any sense out of the "conti" concept.

Maybe its a spin off from "Continental Breakfast".

Wow, didn't know that the world revolves around Singapore.

Check your British roots. The term 'continental cars' came from there when there was a proud British automotive industry. Ergo, the Jags, Minis, MGs, Triumphs, Rovers, Lotuses and their lesser known brethrens are not called 'contis'.

And, yes, the same idea applies to 'continental breakfast' where you won't find muffins.

Edited by LeftRighty

Neutral Newbie

there is no way a mondeo is comparable to passat. don't kid yourself.

mondeo is a mazda 6.

Ford is not the quality standards of those brands from continental Europe, maybe catching up w Opel.

Besides Ford is way overpriced. A Jap car offers more value in comparison.

VM always short change us with lower spec cars. But again, every company has his way of doing business (be it business goal and restriction). I believe Ford has the potential to be a up and coming brand in Singapore. Provided VM got their act right and listen to the market demand more. I urged people to do a blind test. Sit in the new Mondeo and feel its quality, and compare it with similar range cars like the Passat etc. Then compare the ride quality and handling. People would start to appreciate their cars more.

in the first place not many will have interest

look at the passat....so many ppl will choose that car over ford

there is no way a mondeo is comparable to passat. don't kid yourself.

mondeo is a mazda 6.

Ford is not the quality standards of those brands from continental Europe, maybe catching up w Opel.

Besides Ford is way overpriced. A Jap car offers more value in comparison.

ya i was thinking also...how can they come up with such pricing....

a jap or a true continental like volvo outperforms ford on all counts.

in my opinion want to go for power or luxury go all the way

want power get wrx

want luxury get volvo

heck for tt price range....u can even get an audi a1

Continental always suggests European-made cars.

Ford cars sold here are made in Europe and are meant for Europe markets.

Many of them are German-engineered.

US and Europe markets sell different Ford models.

So Ford = continental

Turbocharged

So u consider Chevrolet spark/aveo conti cars then?

Yes, why not? Chevy is a American brand...and as i said, any brand that doesn't originates from Asia are Conti.

It's simple. Don't make it complicated.

When a car is now built or assembled all over the globe, it is complicated if you want to define conti or non-conti based on where it is assembled/built. If this is the case, a Toyota can be a Jap, can be Thai, can be a US car, etc.....since it is built all over the place.

So go with where the brand originates. Toyota originates from Japan, so it is a Jap car. Chevy and Ford is an American Brand, so it is conti (since non-asia). Lotus is a Conti also since it originates from UK.

I just don't understand why people keep debating over the Conti or non-Conti when you can just make it easy by looking at where the brand originates.

(edited)

okay the better term will be european or american vehicle

definition of continental

often Continental Of or relating to the mainland of Europe; European.

Edited by Ithunk

(edited)

Continental always suggests European-made cars.

Ford cars sold here are made in Europe and are meant for Europe markets.

Many of them are German-engineered.

US and Europe markets sell different Ford models.

So Ford = continental

Civic coupe type R also made in UK and meant for UK/Europe market unlike the 4 door civic type R, thus that particular model also Conti Honda?? [laugh][lipsrsealed]

Edited by D3badge

It is easy to see why Ford owner like to associate Ford with "Conti made" due to the Singapore mindset of Conti cars are better in every aspect. be it engineering, ride feel, prestige....... these topic have been argue over many years [sweatdrop]

my view is car should follow the heritage for identity like many bros here mention. those who think ford is a european car, try tell that to an American especially when you are holis in US, you will look like a fool to the American

The world does not revolve around SG I see I'm sorry but around the Great British Empire ! Sorry I'm not a British subject to know.

Continental breakfast refers to mainland Europe in my limited education, not the Great British Empire.

It is strange the you say volvo is better than ford, when just a few years ago, ford owned volvo, before selling it to geely.

Many of volvo technologies come from ford europe, including the ecoboost engines, called GTDi in volvo.

Our version of the ford cars are mainly built in spain and belgium and are the same versions sold in europe.

They are pretty good cars, whether you consider them continental or not. Are they better than audi, VW, BMW ? read the reviews and do a test drive yourself.

The next focus is to be sold in 120 countries, not sure where our version is coming from.

Turbocharged
(edited)

Civic coupe type R also made in UK and meant for UK/Europe market unlike the 4 door civic type R, thus that particular model also Conti Honda?? [laugh][lipsrsealed]

Honda is a Jap car. Be it Civic, Accord, Jazz, Fit, whatever....it is a Jap car. Period.

Life is complicated enough..let's not stretch it to cars.

If we go by where it is make, I am sure there will be some joker who says I have this jap brand car but the engine is made in Europe. So is it a Jap or a Conti. Darn.....I will kill that bugger.

Edited by Icedbs

Nowadays, I find it odd to compare cars by just the place of origin. After globalisation, cars from the same brand can be designed, manufactured and assembled in all different places. Even the parts and materials are sourced from all different sources, whichever makes better business sense. We should only rate a car by its specific make and model, and spec just like you compare food.

Most cars these days are assembled in a local or regional plant, but we will never have a local assembly plant in SG because we do not have a substantial market. So we have to import from their origin, or another regional plant that makes business sense for the dealer and manufacturer - e.g. UK, Thai or JDM spec for RHD rather than US or Continental spec for LHD.

You have a certain famous dish with a famous brand, but cook by a famous FT chef who has little or no experience cooking this local dish. The same FT, may cook another dish and it taste very good but perhaps not a local dish, or he does not use fresh local ingredients. Once you taste it, you immediately rate it by what enters your mouth, not by what it is labelled or who cooked it.

It is strange the you say volvo is better than ford, when just a few years ago, ford owned volvo, before selling it to geely.

Many of volvo technologies come from ford europe, including the ecoboost engines, called GTDi in volvo.

Our version of the ford cars are mainly built in spain and belgium and are the same versions sold in europe.

They are pretty good cars, whether you consider them continental or not. Are they better than audi, VW, BMW ? read the reviews and do a test drive yourself.

The next focus is to be sold in 120 countries, not sure where our version is coming from.

ya ford is better than volvo...try telling that to a volvo owner [:)]

Continental = European excluding UK and the central and eastern part of Russia.

That is the textbook definition.

If want to nitpick further, Continental = only Western Europe in the geographical and cultural sense (which also excludes the Latin part of Western Europe)

Wow, didn't know that the world revolves around Singapore.

Check your British roots. The term 'continental cars' came from there when there was a proud British automotive industry. Ergo, the Jags, Minis, MGs, Triumphs, Rovers, Lotuses and their lesser known brethrens are not called 'contis'.

And, yes, the same idea applies to 'continental breakfast' where you won't find muffins.

It's just a lingual-commercial-sales term... haiz... generalization for the sake of generalization...

if wanna compare, compare car to car, model to model, at least it's more meaningful

Supersonic

Believe we have 7 continents in the world

North America

South America

Europe

Asia

Australia

Antartica

Africa

So i technically, ford being a north american brand = continental car. LOL

[knife]

So, Japan, China, Korea, Thailand, Indonesia etc are in Asia. Their cars are conti also? [confused]

↡ Advertisement