How to invest my money

Almost exactly what I told my friend. We mere mortals look at money as a means to an end. WB looks at money as an end in itself - it's like a video game to him, how to maximise gains. He doesn't actually seem to care about spending money for his own pleasure, nor does he want to bequeath much of it to his kids. He's pretty much going to go out having given away nearly all that he's amassed in his lifetime.

We can't really hope to understand how WB thinks, but it's very important to understand that he thinks differently from the norm, even for a very rich individual. It's possible to become wealthy while still "valuing" money in the conventional sense, but perhaps becoming ludicrously wealthy like WB requires that sort of zen-like dispassionate detachment from the emotive side of money.

I read "The winning investment habits of Warren Buffet and George Soros" and have a brief insight how how the man invests.....some of his concepts may be hard to apply to the common man, for example he bets big on single counters whereas for most it would be better to diversify

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

I had slogged in a low paying s--t job for the past 7 years, I do not buy expensive cars so I can save more money, I finally saved up about $300K. I decided to keep $100K as my emergency fund and retirement fund which I will not touch. So I am left with $200K to invest, I hope and wish to grow this money into $400K in the next 3 years, since I heard that there are many experts and gurus here, I sincerely seek your advice to grow my $200K. Trolls, please do not flame me, this is my real life story and I heard that they are many rich people here so I am just seeking advice.

Don't do anything with your money. Seriously. Sometimes, when you try too hard, you get detrimental results.

Just take your mind off making money, forget about tomorrow, and sometimes the correct path will present itself to you. Take some time off to do self reflection and seek deeper meaning. I'm doing that everyday currently. :D

Edited by Zangetsu77

Don't do anything with your money. Seriously. Sometimes, when you try too hard, you get detrimental results.

Just take your mind off making money, forget about tomorrow, and sometimes the correct path will present itself to you. Take some time off to do self reflection and seek deeper meaning. I'm doing that everyday currently. :D

Good advise, being too obsess will lead to detrimental results, time to take a step back and breathe the fresh air, maybe i shouild take up a religion?

Good advise, being too obsess will lead to detrimental results, time to take a step back and breathe the fresh air, maybe i shouild take up a religion?

Oh well, just clear ur mind and ur thots. If religion is your chosen path, so be it.

Point is, don't chase la......

Oh well, just clear ur mind and ur thots. If religion is your chosen path, so be it.

Point is, don't chase la......

Yes Sir, roger that! Good night!

Honestly my company is hiring lots of people to take over my job at 5k, this is why I need to invest my money for greater security

employ me!

Turbocharged

sounds agreeable. I don't like to make my money work too hard. I let them rest. Maybe they'll like me better and stay around longer. ^_^

I would put it into a safe Singapore bond. double your money in 3 years, that would mean putting it into riskier investments.

Currency options can be less risky but only above GST return...

ok I think I am quite risk averse and of cos this 200k is what I feel I can set aside for investments since I am keeping 100K as a standby cash....but I realise that I do not wish to wait so long to grow my money with inflation rate so high, my savings is losing purchasing power

Curenct options to overcome GST/inflation?

Trading options is risky for me because I don't understand it at all, and I believe you can lose more than your capital? it took me so long to save the money I will be very sad if I lose it all

You do not lose it all, but a lot of your money, if you do not understand (many others like that, even those selling the options to you).

Currency options easier to learn.

property is expensive in singapore, and will it be difficult to manage a overseas property? esp if any tenant problem do we need to fly there?

Pulau Ubin can go by boat?

A return of 5% with little risk is almost impossible?...

So what about a return of 9 to 11% per annum with little risk? :D

Makes me think you are learning the wrong things and associating with the wrong knid of ppl in your life! [laugh]

Mercy-mercy. I like to believe I am among the goody-goody people trying to do that.

Honestly I think I belong to category 2, so I should carry on what I am doing and keep it in saving accounts and fixed deposits? when I see people making tons of money in the stock market and properties I feel so heart pain

Upgrade to currency options from there years ago...

Sorry, I am really not trying to boast here, I think 6K is reasonable for an approximately 35 years old guy like me?

Used to fully/foolishly support PAP and now earn less than that salary...