Tyre pressure

Mllcg

Hmm many answer for 225/50/17 98Y: 205, 220 and 250kpa.

Which one is correct?

Load index of 92 with 250psi got load capacity of 560kg.

Load index of 98 with 205psi got load capacity of 560kg.

(edited)

Dear all,

I have just collected my new vehicle

I am currently on 185/60R15 tyres.

There are 3 types of tyre pressures for different needs.

1) 36 Front/ 32 Rear - For partial load

2) 32 Front/ 28 Rear - For partial load + Extra comfort

3) 36 Front/ 33 Rear - For Full load

Currently I am using No:2 as I prefer comfort and usually I am the only 1 in the vehicle. I just wanted to enquire here if using extra comfort pressure will damage the vehicle or tyre in long run? If so I will be switching it back to NO:1

- Using higher PSI choice, vehicle tend to accelerate quicker but road noise is high

- Using comfort setting, pick up seems to be sluggish but noise level went down by much

Thanks!

6MCpaoJ.jpg

Edited by Goldenvodka

Supercharged
(edited)

no, but u will wanna be more regular in maintaining that pressure else might easily go too low.

also, the stated pressure is when tyres are cold, if u have to travel some distance/highway/hard braking before reaching air pump then u should +2 or 3 PSI to compensate.

Edited by Eyke

Hypersonic

i am a kayu driver, cant feel much difference if tyre pressures are not far off from "ideal"

singapore roads are considerably smooth/flat.

i just pump 260 front/rear when tyres are cold,

1~2 month , pump again

(if not wrong, was told 250 front/260 rear...wth)

just dont spend too much time at tyre pressure pump area.  some made me waited so long  :a-bang:

have seen more kayu driver than me, tyre flat liao still continue driving :D (had given him gentle honk so he noticed)

Turbocharged

Instead of the two recommended extremes why dont you just pump in between ;  ie 34 Front 30 Rear . 

• Praise 1

I pump front 255.58283899 KPA.  Rear I pump 299.893828 KPA

The tyre shop where I bot my MeeCheeLeyn PS4S say one.

Not I say one hah....Tyre shop say one.

Dear all,

Currently I am using No:2 as I prefer comfort and usually I am the only 1 in the vehicle. I just wanted to enquire here if using extra comfort pressure will damage the vehicle or tyre in long run? If so I will be switching it back to NO:1

- Using higher PSI choice, vehicle tend to accelerate quicker but road noise is high

- Using comfort setting, pick up seems to be sluggish but noise level went down by much

Thanks!

6MCpaoJ.jpg

correct me if I am wrong

you should be driving A1 lol

car manufacturer wont recommend tire pressure which could cause damage to your car.

first we have to understand what do we need pressure inside tire? 1 of the key reason is we need it to support the Load.

let me share my personal views

following the label you wont go wrong (unless they gave me wrong  info)

if the label provide you the tire size and pressure please follow and use them as guide which can adjust to your own preference but it should be within the recommendation.

my POV if you want comfort pump the min but you have to pay more fuel bill

inflating higher(within the recommended) got more + like less fuel bill / tire last longer / better handling except lower comfort

I issue out of topic

local Car Agent used to comment changing to over size (or upsize wheel) is not recommended(could cause damage to your car , Now Car manufacturers is so open that provide all the tires sizes (refer to your Label / Manual )  acceptable for the car.

I always believe and trust Professional advice more than commercial advice.

correct me if I am wrong

you should be driving A1 lol

car manufacturer wont recommend tire pressure which could cause damage to your car.

first we have to understand what do we need pressure inside tire? 1 of the key reason is we need it to support the Load.

let me share my personal views

following the label you wont go wrong (unless they gave me wrong  info)

if the label provide you the tire size and pressure please follow and use them as guide which can adjust to your own preference but it should be within the recommendation.

my POV if you want comfort pump the min but you have to pay more fuel bill

inflating higher(within the recommended) got more + like less fuel bill / tire last longer / better handling except lower comfort

I issue out of topic

local Car Agent used to comment changing to over size (or upsize wheel) is not recommended(could cause damage to your car , Now Car manufacturers is so open that provide all the tires sizes (refer to your Label / Manual )  acceptable for the car.

I always believe and trust Professional advice more than commercial advice.

1 more thing to take note, if load index of replacement tire is different from factory, recommended tire pressure has to be adjusted upwards or downwards (depending on whether higher or lower load index).

1 more thing to take note, if load index of replacement tire is different from factory, recommended tire pressure has to be adjusted upwards or downwards (depending on whether higher or lower load index).

correct me if I am wrong

Load index is a important number to look for particularly the MPV and upsize wheels and those always heavily load car

Brief example

your existing (original ) Load index (number before speed rating) 88H this 88 indicate this tire can carry max load of 560kg per tire

should you wish to upsize or replace tire the Load index number should follow the at least same or little lower .

putting a higher Load index(extra load) tire doesn't really help improve anything except your max load you can is higher than  original.

(edited)

correct me if I am wrong

Load index is a important number to look for particularly the MPV and upsize wheels and those always heavily load car

Brief example

your existing (original ) Load index (number before speed rating) 88H this 88 indicate this tire can carry max load of 560kg per tire

should you wish to upsize or replace tire the Load index number should follow the at least same or little lower .

putting a higher Load index(extra load) tire doesn't really help improve anything except your max load you can is higher than  original.

For changing tyres,  if not possible to get the same load index, it should be higher, not lower.   Lower would mean the max load is reduced.

Edited by Kklee

Dear all,

Thanks!

I would suggest to go higher and not lower.

Lower pressure = more contact (to road) = more heat generated and thus more wear/tear. 

(edited)

correct me if I am wrong

Brief example

For my car, factory tyre is Continental SportContact 3 SSR with load index of 84.

When i change to Michelin PSS, load index is 88

Both tyre same size at 205/45 17

Edited by Davidtch

For my car, factory tyre is Continental SportContact 3 SSR with load index of 84.

When i change to Michelin PSS, load index is 88

Both tyre same size at 205/45 17

Your pressure the same, lower or higher?