Town council management report is politically motivated, say

Latka

CNA

Town council management report is politically motivated, says Chiam

By Tan Weizhen, TODAY | Posted: 11 July 2011 0653 hrs

SINGAPORE: Former Opposition Member of Parliament Chiam See Tong on Sunday criticised the latest Town Council Management Report (TCMR) - which showed that the town council of his former Potong Pasir ward had improved in three of the six indicators - as being "politically motivated".

Despite the improvements, the Potong Pasir town council remained among the worst performing according to the report, which was released last Friday.

For example, while most town councils achieved a Level 1 rating for service and conservancy charges arrears management, the town councils of Opposition-held Hougang and Potong Pasir fared worst in this area.

Mr Chiam, 76, had helmed the Potong Pasir ward for 27 years until the General Election - which was held in May - when he moved out of the ward to lead a team to contest in Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC. Mr Chiam and his wife Lina, who had contested in Potong Pasir, were both defeated.

The Ministry of National Development (MND) had said that the third TCMR - it was introduced in 2009 - covered the period from last October to March this year and was based on pre-General Election town boundaries.

Despite the MND's pronouncement that the assessment was carried out before the GE, Mr Chiam said in a media statement yesterday: "The HDB has now decided to award Potong Pasir constituency with a consolation prize after the GE by reporting that (its town council) has made the biggest gains with higher scores recorded for three out of six indicators."

Mr Chiam added that he did not believe the report. "At all material times, I have been maintaining the estate well. (The report) is politically motivated," he said.

When asked to respond to Mr Chiam's statement, Potong Pasir MP Sitoh Yih Pin reiterated that the "most important thing now is for us to move forward and improve the living conditions of Potong Pasir residents".

"We also have to ... improve the overall maintenance of the town council," said Mr Sitoh. He added that a working committee was formed last month to look into "why the families are in arrears".

- - TODAY/fa

↡ Advertisement

Great that Mr. Chiam still speaks out i/o of taking it lying down.

I am under Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC although staying in Hougang, the estate not so clean one. Lifts are not cleaned everyday.

What's the point of using arrears as a form of measurement? They are saying that they are more effective than ah longs?

Turbocharged

I believe my own eyes, not some fella who either come by for a few minutes and then forms a conclusion to do up such a report, or who has vested interest to give some/most TCs good scores.

Clean? Please lor.

some clean some rubbish, if the report is fair where some of the PAP estates also score low, then what is there to complaint?

Service and conservancy charges arrears management is a nice way of saying O$P$

It just means MIW wards are better at hounding residents for payments [:p]

CST really did a good job at PP considering all the difficulties some people gave him.

Pls...Choa Chu Kang Town Council isn't as great either... lights spoilt never change, lift takes days to repair, dirty floor, bulky items at the rubbish chute area never remove for days...

I called the Town Council..instead they gave me the mobile number of the contractor...ask me to give contractor a call if i have any problem...knn..i become their staff...

How come the Woodlands or whatever Town Conuncil never got last....for allowing worker to go up the water tank....

Neutral Newbie

Sporeans have eyes to see whether their estate is indeed clean/well-maintained or not.

The erection results speak for itself. No need to insult our intelligence with such report.

I guess in sinkapo inc, $$$ is the yardstick for everything, no $ no talk, u die your pasar.....

What's the point of using arrears as a form of measurement? They are saying that they are more effective than ah longs?

Pls...Choa Chu Kang Town Council isn't as great either... lights spoilt never change, lift takes days to repair, dirty floor, bulky items at the rubbish chute area never remove for days...

I called the Town Council..instead they gave me the mobile number of the contractor...ask me to give contractor a call if i have any problem...knn..i become their staff...

How come the Woodlands or whatever Town Conuncil never got last....for allowing worker to go up the water tank....

you never wtfish them upside down [laugh] [laugh]

but then there are some 60% needed these insults to their intelligence.......guess you are the minority...

Sporeans have eyes to see whether their estate is indeed clean/well-maintained or not.

The erection results speak for itself. No need to insult our intelligence with such report.

to me its a positive report, if it is real.

it shows that oppo wards are more understanding towards poor ppl who cant pay for monthly service and conservancy charges.

if the area is still clean, i don see the reason for the outcry in not give those poor ppl a few months to pay by installment?

you never wtfish them upside down [laugh] [laugh]

I did....i think i kana black listed liao hahaha...

the moment they see or hear my name..they should be cursing themself....

hahaha...but i only F the valid points...

(edited)

You need to yell back, then they will call themselves.

Happened to me before. [laugh]

I called the ofic to report faults with my new flat, but they asked me to call their contractors. I had to yell at them "I bought my house from HedgeDB, the relationship is between me and HedgeDB, don't ask me to call your contractors". Then, LL they called.

So, next time, yell at them and tell them you pay $$$ every month to TC, not their contractors!!!

Edited by Kangadrool

Don't know if you guys remember but a few years back, 2 MIW TCs lost $12mil on Lehman bonds.

Did those TCs get a F- on their report?

Which is worse? Not hounding people for S&C or blowing $12 mil of taxpayer monies punting?

Which leads to the question why TC still need to O$P$ people for S&C when they have so much $$$ swooshing around.

I always write to them...c.c to MND, HDB ceo,HDB chairman and most of all MP of your estate....no reply after 1 week...

write again and informed that you are going to write to the media and keep it as a record.....Will hantam them in the

next erection.... :D

Don't know if you guys remember but a few years back, 2 MIW TCs lost $12mil on Lehman bonds.

Did those TCs get a F- on their report?

Which is worse? Not hounding people for S&C or blowing $12 mil of taxpayer monies punting?

Which leads to the question why TC still need to O$P$ people for S&C when they have so much $$$ swooshing around.

collection is part of the assessment [confused] i don't pay by GIRO, so owe for 3 months then pay, you will see reminder and lawyer letter [laugh] [laugh] , they ask RC member to drop into your mail box, no need postage [rolleyes]

Twincharged
(edited)

CNA

Town council management report is politically motivated, says Chiam

By Tan Weizhen, TODAY | Posted: 11 July 2011 0653 hrs

SINGAPORE: Former Opposition Member of Parliament Chiam See Tong on Sunday criticised the latest Town Council Management Report (TCMR) - which showed that the town council of his former Potong Pasir ward had improved in three of the six indicators - as being "politically motivated".

Despite the improvements, the Potong Pasir town council remained among the worst performing according to the report, which was released last Friday.

For example, while most town councils achieved a Level 1 rating for service and conservancy charges arrears management, the town councils of Opposition-held Hougang and Potong Pasir fared worst in this area.

Mr Chiam, 76, had helmed the Potong Pasir ward for 27 years until the General Election - which was held in May - when he moved out of the ward to lead a team to contest in Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC. Mr Chiam and his wife Lina, who had contested in Potong Pasir, were both defeated.

The Ministry of National Development (MND) had said that the third TCMR - it was introduced in 2009 - covered the period from last October to March this year and was based on pre-General Election town boundaries.

Despite the MND's pronouncement that the assessment was carried out before the GE, Mr Chiam said in a media statement yesterday: "The HDB has now decided to award Potong Pasir constituency with a consolation prize after the GE by reporting that (its town council) has made the biggest gains with higher scores recorded for three out of six indicators."

Mr Chiam added that he did not believe the report. "At all material times, I have been maintaining the estate well. (The report) is politically motivated," he said.

When asked to respond to Mr Chiam's statement, Potong Pasir MP Sitoh Yih Pin reiterated that the "most important thing now is for us to move forward and improve the living conditions of Potong Pasir residents".

"We also have to ... improve the overall maintenance of the town council," said Mr Sitoh. He added that a working committee was formed last month to look into "why the families are in arrears".

- - TODAY/fa

actually KBW is going to review on the Town Counical management report framework.. so he actually know's there is flaws in the system and want to change to a more fairer system.. but well.. it will need time for policy review also.. Hmm...

http://news.xin.msn.com/en/singapore/artic...umentid=5023817

So if anyone got any feedbacks or comments on the Town Council Management Report framework can also email to [email protected].

Edited by Yewheng
↡ Advertisement