Nationalised public transport = pay more for poorer service

Mockngbrd

But Mr Lui speaks the truth because even though most of these firms, SBS, SMRT, Singtel or Starhub, are publicly traded companies are majority owned by the government investment arms. So they are loosely speaking nationalised and their performances are indeed poor.

Also when it comes to competition, what kind of competition you expect from 2 companies who share the same parent?

Agree, there are hidden meaning between the lines of his words <_<

In a true democracy, we will just keep voting until we find a Transport Minister who can bring a high standard of public transport without privatisation.

Is that too lofty an ideal for Mr Lui?

I am sure SMRT CEO can do it if he cannot make it.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

really time to repent..another MBT in making..whole freakin country thinks HBD flat is expensive now but he didn't

seems to me that he is the only one to think that nationalised public transport is bad for the people..

No matter how i see it, i don't get it. (recover cost oriented vs profit oriented) which one is cheaper? put the service thingy aside because there is nothing to cheer about now when comes to service. so end of the day, it's the fare that matters.

if you have a team who goal is to recover cost but end of the day, the fare cost more than the team who is suppose to make a profit..shouldn't the cost recover team need a slap and tell him the right direction to take? In this case, Lui is openly doubting that the goverment's capability should transport go nationalised.

jia luck..seems to me that we have another MBT to bear with for the next 5 years....wonder who will be the next transport minister to clear up his s--t..maybe KBW?

Edited by Wrc

We need a national debate on Lui's assertion. I hope WP can take this one step further.

My vote for 2016 will depend on whether WP can perform on this simple issue.

LTK! Make Lui work for his lui!!

u mean u voted for papaya in 2011 election?

u mean u voted for papaya in 2011 election?

I voted PAP in the past. Voted WP this year. So high hopes for WP!

I voted PAP in the past. Voted WP this year. So high hopes for WP!

i would vote for anyone that gives me The Present,and Future,

not just The Future. <_<

The profit motive spurs commercial operators to be efficient & improve productivity

Is this a joke?

Not funny...

i would vote for anyone that gives me The Present,and Future,

not just The Future. <_<

Sorry, too profound. Means you voted PAP because they are the incumbent and the only one who can give you the Present?

can That Lui explain why taxpayer will pay more for poorer service if go nationalisation?

I also dun understand...

say if Govt takes over, spent the same amount of money like what SMRT/SBS did, but collect enough to recoup without profit. So how to end up paying more by the poor?

Maybe I lesser mortal, not up to that mental level to comprehend....

Sorry, too profound. Means you voted PAP because they are the incumbent and the only one who can give you the Present?

you mean PAP promised a Present..? :blink:

don't you just love the PAP?

when they falter, they tell you don't compare us with other nations, singapore is a SPECIAL case

when they progress, they publish reports everywhere that our economy is doing well against OTHER COUNTRIES

then when they want to do something, they completely turn the pros/cons around and tell you the complete opposite of what is true

not the 1st time they are doing this, don't forget the previous FT help create jobs for singaporeans or COE help you to own cars

Plus like to chut pattern & justify it feebly.

Like saying each oldie need 5 staff each to help them do good/promote/raise awareness for Singapore...even though the constitution says nothing about it.

Not mentioned were the costs relating to security, driver, office, overseas travel/expenses, etc & whether they are paid or not.

Pattern juay ke badminton!

Don't waste time arguing lah! I don't think they will even consider it as the idea is mooted by the oppies!

Turbocharged

don't you just love the PAP?

when they falter, they tell you don't compare us with other nations, singapore is a SPECIAL case

when they progress, they publish reports everywhere that our economy is doing well against OTHER COUNTRIES

then when they want to do something, they completely turn the pros/cons around and tell you the complete opposite of what is true

not the 1st time they are doing this, don't forget the previous FT help create jobs for singaporeans or COE help you to own cars

Age old tactic of "If you can't convince them, confuse them".. Sadly, alot of Singaporeans are still not educated enough to see thru it.. But fortunately, the numbers are going down..

Neutral Newbie

a private company will always find means and ways to cut corners to gain maximum profit... they do this by being efficient in their processes.. but it is different from providing an efficient transport system...

Neutral Newbie

Going by the his analogy, our civil service would be the most inefficient organization in the country?

Now i know, many weeks ago when he took public transport all for a f--king show. He only 'repent' for a few weeks, now pattern come out.

↡ Advertisement