China: 1st time in Shanghai

AFV_V200

Last time summon to SHnaghai forma project meeting. really have no idea where to go.

I stay in Marvel hotel. 123 South Xizang Road 200021 Shanghai,.

Dont want to travel too far from my hotel. anyplace to go?

Thanks

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Last time summon to SHnaghai forma project meeting. really have no idea where to go.

I stay in Marvel hotel. 123 South Xizang Road 200021 Shanghai,.

Dont want to travel too far from my hotel. anyplace to go?

Thanks

Xintiandi, nanjing lu...etc etc...

So where do you wanna go? I betcha it's damn hot outside.

Just came back from the BUND. ya is damn hot, weather like SG. I love to eat and take photo.

Ah Old shanghai, everybody beloved city . . . I was there twice since 2000 and loved every mins of it, the food, shopping and sight-seeing was enchanting. I must caution you that to wear sport shoe or comfortable walking shoe as you need some walking to do bro ! ( I went with wife free&easy )

First, U must visit XinTiandi,( something like our ClarkeQ/BoatQ ) as another bro pointed out earlier, U can find Crystal Jade Rest serving local dishes + Shanghainese delights, 1st tasted their Prawns coated with duck-egged, a superb dish, slightly salty but wash down with chinese T.

Try their local steam fish another thumb-up and a invigorating soup, 3 dishes for two is good enough. Shopping in XTD was abit upscale for tourists and drinking/pub with jazz lounge to sooth your ears

Shopping was great bargain too, U go thru many alley-way, small shops sells watches, men bags, tailor-made shirt/pants and suit at reasonable prices, Shanghai steam-boat are a must try, due to their cool weather, they tends to eat more, Visit the Oriental pearl tower for a sight-seeing panaromic city view of SH by nite would be great, Something like our URA in Maxwell road on master planning of the city skyline in Shanghai.

Take a tube to Putong from PuXi and U can visit the bunds ( Old Shanghai movies were shot there ) admist the misty cold air, everyne is hawking something wanting you to buy as gifts, like our esplanade, but it 's very long walking path, take a cab straight across the ' Wangpu Bridge', U would hear Putong and Puxi w/o the name stopping, shanghainese eats/sleep here, heard the old bund Otel was haunted due to many people killed with old door still intact for memory sake.

If time permits, visit Shuchou town by train or bus, approx an hour to hour half from Shanghai city, U need to ask for direction from otel staff, they be happy to assist. Well, Shuchou has it's hidden beauty in landscaping and backyard river-themed with boat-women singing old ear chinese folks song to entice your spirit, whereby paintiing scroll, souvneirs hunters for families/friends back home, you can buy chinese tea or old antique/s for home decor/usage, many chinese delicacies adores the side-walk. The boat-ride comes in a package once you disembark from the bus i travelled inclusive of a simple lunch during a break, ( Day 3 Free and easy )

Take bus bk to Shanghai, by nitefall, U must try ' Green house ' massage house, I love this best, many tourists alike go to this place, I happened to find out during my morning walk after b/f, small built-up nice ambience/surrounding was awesome for this kind of establishment, something you see in the movie with flowing long curtain seperated by next massage cubicle, noted no hanky/panky going on here, all legitimate, they oso provide foot/head and full body oil massage at reasonable price, I strongly recommend U to try, cannot rem address, opp one service apartment hotel.

Dun ask me about their karoake, niteclub, not too keen on them.. Hope you can check it out ya!

• Praise 1

Just came back from the BUND. ya is damn hot, weather like SG. I love to eat and take photo.

Hey,

Have u tried the Yu Gardens? Nice classic chinese mansion surrounded by old streets and old temples........ Great for photo taking..... And if you love to eat, you can check out the best Xiao Long Bao there......... It's called Nan Xiang and located at Chen Wang Miao which is really part of the Yu Gardens area...... Don't bother to join the long queue at the take out counter...... just go straight up to the restaurant and eat-in instead. Must try is the crab roe xiao long bao and the big tang bao where u got to use a straw to drink up the soup within the big dumpling. It's a bit of a tourist trap but I find myself returning there each time I visit SHG.

If u r a foodie, then another "must-try" place is this old shanghai restaurant called "Mei Long Zhen" along Nanjing West Rd...... The restaurant is an old establishment..... very popular with politicians and visiting dignitaries...... must try is the Fresh Pearl River Shrimps, braised Eel, and this sweet and spicy fish served on handmade noodles.....

There is a mall called "Mei Long Zhen Square" across the restaurant..... but restaurant is set off the main rd...... but do look out for the gate and a small signage...

There are also some popular chain restaurants (a la our Crystal Jade here in SG) in SHG that serves really good food:

1) Xiao Nan Guo

One of my personal favorite chain restaurant.

2) Bi Feng Tang

Great for snacks and dim sum type. They operate both large sit-in chinese restaurant types and small little cafe type places.

3) Shanghai Ah-Su (Uncle Shanghai)

They are famous for this yummy crispy pork cutlet dish. Quite popular place for locals to holding their wedding banquets there.

Also since one bro here recommended Suzhou..... I shall provide you with another option in the form of Hangzhou......

You could just do a day trip and commute via train.

The most famous sight in Hangzhou is West Lake (Xi Hu)...... great for photo taking.......

Also if time permits, you can consider visiting the tea plantation in Hangzhou if you are into Chinese Tea drinking.....

Finally, one of the most famous personality coming out of Hangzhou is this Tang poet called Su Dong Po and there is this dish that called Dong Po Rou (Dong Po Meat) and u have tons of restaurant within the Hangzhou city center selling this dish....

There's also a food street (akin to our chinatown food street) within Hangzhou City center itself but be prepared for many beggars hovering around waiting to snatch up any leftovers or unfinished food..... can be quite unnerving...

Hi guys just don't feel like creating new thread so tap on the old thread

Will be going to shanghai for a week, bought the ticket for dec.

Since my last visit was like 6-7 years ago with little impression (was with tour guide), so basically i only know the bund, oriental tower and nanjing lu. But unfortunately i forgot all these places and even my hotel name!

So all the experts here can advise which hotel best? Preferable 5 star with budget 100-250 per night will do. Location is important best if located connecting to a large shopping mall.

And anyone has lobang for car rental with driver? I might need to use it for few days. Preferable luxury sedan cos only 3 people.

Kum sia in advance :D

5-star hotel near the bund, these are standard room rate

hyatt, marriot, meridien @ $250-$300

fairmont peace hotel @ $350-$400 - worth a try [thumbsup]

going there end of this month. stay 2 nights only ... will spend most of the time in hangzhou [:)]

Hi guys just don't feel like creating new thread so tap on the old thread

Will be going to shanghai for a week, bought the ticket for dec.

Since my last visit was like 6-7 years ago with little impression (was with tour guide), so basically i only know the bund, oriental tower and nanjing lu. But unfortunately i forgot all these places and even my hotel name!

So all the experts here can advise which hotel best? Preferable 5 star with budget 100-250 per night will do. Location is important best if located connecting to a large shopping mall.

And anyone has lobang for car rental with driver? I might need to use it for few days. Preferable luxury sedan cos only 3 people.

Kum sia in advance :D

Edited by Wt_know

5-star hotel near the bund, these are standard room rate

hyatt, marriot, meridien @ $250-$300

fairmont peace hotel @ $300-$400

Fairmont maybe not cos my travel expense mostly out for the ticket itself so hotel around 200 best for one week.

Is it good to stay in pudong or just stay in the bund?

Hangzhou anything good? I only stay one night there and nothing remain in my memory except kena cheated by the tour guide

Edited by Thaiyotakamli

i tot you want to go shopping ...

nanjing east road whole stretch is the best liao

which is near the bund

Edited by Wt_know

i tot you want to go shopping ...

nanjing east road whole stretch is the best liao

which is near the bund

Ok can will find hotel around the area there.

Btw got fly with china eastern before?

Fairmont maybe not cos my travel expense mostly out for the ticket itself so hotel around 200 best for one week.

Is it good to stay in pudong or just stay in the bund?

Hangzhou anything good? I only stay one night there and nothing remain in my memory except kena cheated by the tour guide

Personally Puxi side for sure. Peace hotel I find is old and do not like the low level.

Ok can will find hotel around the area there.

Btw got fly with china eastern before?

what kind of shopping you into? china planes to me not acceptable, not even in pilot seat.

• Praise 4

Personally Puxi side for sure. Peace hotel I find is old and do not like the low level.

what kind of shopping you into? china planes to me not acceptable, not even in pilot seat.

Is meridien good?

Shopping not much would prefer food. Any must go restaurant in puxi area? I see from google i headache, so many hotels and eateries, dunno which one is good haha

This china eastern is A330-200, checked from google quite new. Taking the biz class since it seems quite worth for value

Is meridien good?

Shopping not much would prefer food. Any must go restaurant in puxi area? I see from google i headache, so many hotels and eateries, dunno which one is good haha

This china eastern is A330-200, checked from google quite new. Taking the biz class since it seems quite worth for value

meridian the one at xizhang zhong lu, jiujianglu been there for buffet only once. Find the place ok but the location is good. Not into food, but Northwest, 黄河路 theres is a food street that have some good baos. fengyang lu got nice local food and the back streets of nanjing dong lu is good. Tianjin lu area have lotsa hardware and it runs along the sides of the dong lu pedestrian mall. Nice location but not grand on the outsides but understand that a lot of airlines use this hotel due to its location. wujiang lu near nanjing xi lu got some nice food as well, finally theres one along the side of the city god temple, if you face the temple it is on the right. all the way to the 3/4 way, you will see a food street on the right. The place is littered with good restaurants especially along the bund and river area. The view is good, the rent is high, their food needs to be good to survive. Airline wise it is really personal preference but I do not like to fly, so maybe that is why more touchy.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4