Jerking Car... sometimes... what's wrong?

Pjlee25

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

I am a light-footer on the accelerator. At times, my car will shudder or jerk during gear change. The shudder happens only when I try to accelerate (lightly) after dropping speed (i.e downing from higher gears). The shudder is just like how a manual transmission car is about to stall when there's insufficient rev. The shudder will go away when 1) I release my footing from the accelerator, or 2) I rev harder on the accelerator.

The problem does not happen all the time on all gears, but only about a couple of times per drive, and only at gear change between gear 2/3/4 (i have a 6 speed auto gear box). Also, if I provide a heavier footing on the accelerator, I will not get this problem at all. Well, I don't wish to be heavy on the gas all the time, as it will drive up fuel consumption. It's also not my driving habit.

What could be the problem? Is there a problem with the gears, auto transmission system, oil, or valves? I'm loss at this as I can't seem to find much info about this from the internet.

Thanks!

↡ Advertisement

Hi,

I am a light-footer on the accelerator. At times, my car will shudder or jerk during gear change. The shudder happens only when I try to accelerate (lightly) after dropping speed (i.e downing from higher gears). The shudder is just like how a manual transmission car is about to stall when there's insufficient rev. The shudder will go away when 1) I release my footing from the accelerator, or 2) I rev harder on the accelerator.

The problem does not happen all the time on all gears, but only about a couple of times per drive, and only at gear change between gear 2/3/4 (i have a 6 speed auto gear box). Also, if I provide a heavier footing on the accelerator, I will not get this problem at all. Well, I don't wish to be heavy on the gas all the time, as it will drive up fuel consumption. It's also not my driving habit.

What could be the problem? Is there a problem with the gears, auto transmission system, oil, or valves? I'm loss at this as I can't seem to find much info about this from the internet.

Thanks!

what is ur ride?

easier for us to advice.

Cruze?

Yup we need to know if ur ride is a full automatic or semi automatic.

For Semi Automatic, some form of jerking (not really jerking, but u can tell the gear is changing) from 1st to 2nd gear maybe obvious.

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

Ride is 320i. Problem happen only during full-automatic mode.

If it is wrong plugs, I would think that the problem will be a consistent one, right? i.e. happens all the time. But mine doesn't... it happens but it goes off after it gets over a couple of times within a ride.

Hi,

Thanks!

How long have you had your license? Or more specifically how long is your driving experience? I don't think there will be any problems if you leave yr auto shifting alone.

Hi,

Ride is 320i. Problem happen only during full-automatic mode.

If it is wrong plugs, I would think that the problem will be a consistent one, right? i.e. happens all the time. But mine doesn't... it happens but it goes off after it gets over a couple of times within a ride.

Normally happen at gear 2 , low speed ? I guess is lack of power lah , if you gas more slightly should be OK right ?

Neutral Newbie

Normally happen at gear 2 , low speed ? I guess is lack of power lah , if you gas more slightly should be OK right ?

Yes. I don't face the shudder if I gas it more.. but was just wondering if there is really a problem as I don't recall having the need to gas more for my previous rides.

I encountered this problem when the car is engaged at D and is idle. Problem was spark plug cable. Incorrect fitting as it was aftermarket. Changed it and problem went away. Not sure if you are facing a similar one. Could be spark plug related like the brudders have mentioned.

Neutral Newbie

I do face the same problem during light acceleration.

During low speed (0-10km/h), sometimes when i do light acceleration(depress the accelerator just a little, like 0.5cm) my car may start to jerk. However it all goes away after i accelerate above 10km/h or I accelerate heavier.

Car model I'm driving is Nissan 350z(2007)

Neutral Newbie

I forget to add that its an auto car.

Been driving this car for a year plus, and only 7-8months ago it starts to have such a problem.

Neutral Newbie

Driving this car all the while with same issue, but only share with us now?

Nope. Just changed my car not too long ago.

Neutral Newbie

I forget to add that its an auto car.

Been driving this car for a year plus, and only 7-8months ago it starts to have such a problem.

Hi Xdeatel,

are you still on this problem still? for 7-8 mths? Or you have solved it by changing the plugs?

Neutral Newbie

Try changing the spark plugs, sounds like irregular firing order of your plugs..

Perhaps... u guys know when about should plugs be changed?

I'm on the current set of plugs (high power type) for about 30K km now.

↡ Advertisement