Which is your favourite Hawker food >20 years?

Wind30

Turbocharged
(edited)

Today I went back to this hawker stall in Whampoa market which I ate since I was a child more than 20 years back.

It really brought back memories and it still taste as nice.

I just wanted to share the stall and am wondering if anyone else know about similar stalls that has been selling for a long long time and still taste as good.

The stall I am talking about is the Curry Rice Stall in whampoa Market. I think they only sell for breakfast only... the braised pork there is REALLY good. Quite easy to see as there is always a queue. No newspaper cuttings though.

IT still taste the same since my parents brought back for me 20 years back....

It is REALLY HARD to find the same stall selling the SAME food for 20 years. And still taste the same. Almost all my favourite childhood stalls have closed down or moved.... The only other one I know still at the same place is a Malay food stall in a Coffee shop in TPY.

Edited by Wind30
↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

Whampoa market really brings bk memory. I grew up ard that area, and had eaten there since young..... These days I don't go there often, but I know all the good stuff are still there

Turbocharged

Whampoa market really brings bk memory. I grew up ard that area, and had eaten there since young..... These days I don't go there often, but I know all the good stuff are still there

the rojak, hokkien mee, chicken rice, fish soup... yum yum [thumbsup]

Turbocharged

Alot of bird shxt from the car park. Think so of the trees are removed now.

Fish head steamboat(market side), kwangju tong ciao shi - peanut porridge n chee cheong fun. Singapore fried hokkien mee. Ruby popiah. Hoover fish soup. Carrot cake. Lontong. I think I am going there now. :wub:

Today I went back to this hawker stall in Whampoa market which I ate since I was a child more than 20 years back.

I just wanted to share the stall and am wondering if anyone else know about similar stalls that has been selling for a long long time and still taste as good.

The stall I am talking about is the Curry Rice Stall in whampoa Market. I think they only sell for breakfast only... the braised pork there is REALLY good. Quite easy to see as there is always a queue. No newspaper cuttings though.

It is REALLY HARD to find the same stall selling the SAME food for 20 years. And still taste the same. Almost all my favourite childhood stalls have closed down or moved.... The only other one I know still at the same place is a Malay food stall in a Coffee shop in TPY.

That is really a nice place for food.

Alot of bird shxt from the car park. Think so of the trees are removed now.

Fish head steamboat(market side), kwangju tong ciao shi - peanut porridge n chee cheong fun. Singapore fried hokkien mee. Ruby popiah. Hoover fish soup. Carrot cake. Lontong. I think I am going there now. :wub:

I like one of the steamboat stalls at one of the corners. It was there for many many years.

I am staying nearby the market for >30yrs liao and IMO only those old stalls are worth patronising...the rest of the new stalls are not up to the standard coz of the rental thus they usually cut corners. Or maybe I already numb to the food here already...I usually drive out to Kallang Bahru/Boon Keng there though. [laugh]

Bros need recommend can see below:

Night Market

Chix Rice - Nan Xiang. Roast chix sold out usually in the afternoon.

Hokkien Mee - IMO the corner stall opposite bread stall are nicer, the Singapore Hokkien Mee too bland for my taste.

Fish Head steamboat - corner opposite bread shop is good.

Nasi Lemak - middle corner stall, they have a economical rice, duck rice and song fishhead stall too. Nice rice with pandan flavour for Nasi Lemak.

Morning Market

Curry Rice - this i 2nd TS recommendation.

Robert Mee Siam - cheap and good. They no more selling Lontong though due to some reason.

Vegetarian Food - middle stall facing wet market. Nice condiments

Brother's hillview fried bee hoon - recommend their braised chix feet, porridge and bee hoon. Guangdong xiao shi beside them also not bad.

China Mee Hun Kuay - almost same taste as those in Msia. recommended.

Turbocharged
(edited)

I see I must try the Fish Head steamboat at the corner.

Frankly, I don't stay near whampoa and I only know the curry rice stall because my parents used to buy for me when I was young.

I don't meant for this thread to be about whampoa market but it seems that only whampoa market seems to have many old stalls still selling?

Any other stalls in other markets/coffee shops?

I know another one is the Malay stall in Toa Payoh Block 125 coffee shop. This one I think the stall is taken over by the daughter but you still can see the original owner (now old grandmother) in the stall. The fried chicken is really oily but taste very nice. Also more than 20 years old from my childhood. I think the son got a branch in block 203 in TPY but this stall opened much later.

Edited by Wind30

Supercharged

I see I must try the Fish Head steamboat at the corner.

Frankly, I don't stay near whampoa and I only know the curry rice stall because my parents used to buy for me when I was young.

I don't meant for this thread to be about whampoa market but it seems that only whampoa market seems to have many old stalls still selling?

Any other stalls in other markets/coffee shops?

I know another one is the Malay stall in Toa Payoh Block 125 coffee shop. This one I think the stall is taken over by the daughter but you still can see the original owner (now old grandmother) in the stall. The fried chicken is really oily but taste very nice. Also more than 20 years old from my childhood. I think the son got a branch in block 203 in TPY but this stall opened much later.

I know this Malay stall in Blk 125. I'm staying v near. I didn't know its so famous, until I saw long queue in the morning. Lunch time, almost sold out.

I bought one time before. Well it's nice, but its v expensive, I think

(edited)

It'll be a sad day if all these hawker food extincts....

Edited by Relagsingh

Turbocharged
(edited)

I know this Malay stall in Blk 125. I'm staying v near. I didn't know its so famous, until I saw long queue in the morning. Lunch time, almost sold out.

I bought one time before. Well it's nice, but its v expensive, I think

I don't think it is FAMOUS as in it went on television/newpapers etc. It is just been around there for a VERY VERY long time, at least >20 years. Probably > 30 years since my mom also have fond memories of it.... The chilli and fried chicken still taste pretty the same.

but taste is personal lah... I find nice, other people may think so so. But it is a FACT that the malay stall has been around there for many years.

I grew up in TPY. Many of my childhood stalls are gone. Example I used to absolutely love the Fan Choy stall in one of the TPY market (forgot which one). The Fan Choy is wrapped in yellow paper and have one small piece of chicken, chinese sausage, egg in it. They also sell chinese tea and simple dimsum. But ever since the founder retired, the son who took over really cannot make it. Taste all gone, and business just went downhill until close shop.....

Edited by Wind30

I love the boon lay hawker center food.

Many also old timer there >30years.

Love the roti prata, power nasi lemak, roast pork rice.....delicious.

I used to live at blk 97 facing CTE for 20years. I love the first generation of Loy Kee chicken rice inside hawker ctr that opens in morning. [:)]

Turbocharged

I love the boon lay hawker center food.

Many also old timer there >30years.

Love the roti prata, power nasi lemak, roast pork rice.....delicious.

Is boon lay around 30 years ago??

Is boon lay around 30 years ago??

yes.................I moved to Boon Lay in 1978.............33 years ago...............

my favourite: Hokkien Mee

one of my fav stall: Swee Guan Hokkien Mee at Geylang Lor 29

post-87160-1312986680_thumb.jpg

this is how the stall looks like

post-87160-1312986697_thumb.jpg

i usually order a $10 plate for two person...

check out the prawns and sotongs

↡ Advertisement