Strategies on buying used car

Cook1234

Neutral Newbie

Got strategy to save on buying used car using these quidelines:

1) buy a parf car with about 3 years left to go> so that there's not much money the dealer can mark up anyway.
2) go for mileage about 10-15kpa. <10k pa is too underutilized and may pose other problems.
3) go for agent serviced.
4) preferably 1 owner and parked in sheltered place.
5) prepare not to take loan so that 1) dealer cannot make money for loan 2) can get rid of car anything if not happy or if any major defect without suffering any loss from early loan settlement because value of car is near paper value anyway.

If bros and sis notice that in ST advertised are usually newer cars, thus much can be marked up on price and dealer can make on loan also. Dealers don't mind advertising bacause they stand to make a lot if deal is realised.

So sgcarmart is the place to go to looks for such good value cars if bros and sis scrutise hard enough.

Just my humble view and may not suit everyone, especially those looking for cars with latest features etc.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged
(edited)

10-15k pa for a 7yrs old car?

conti car still able to find easily.

B&B car quite difficult, unless they reset the speedo.

And if you are buying Toyota/Lexus car, Borneo will not reveal car owner records

===================================

Distributor: Used car's record confidential unless...

WE REFER to Madam Jenny Han's letter last Saturday ('It's a Catch-22 situation with used cars').

The policy of Borneo Motors is to respect and maintain the confidentiality of our customers' data at all times, even if they are no longer owners of the vehicle.

This confidentiality of customer information is maintained unless and until required by a legal authority to reveal it.

Borneo Motors will also consider a written authorisation from the owner (or previous owner as the case may be) to release the information to a specified buyer.

In contrast, customers who purchase pre-owned Toyota or Lexus vehicles from Borneo Motors' pre-owned division are provided with official confirmation on the condition of the vehicle as well as pertinent vehicle service maintenance and repair history.

This ensures customers can make an informed decision and enjoy peace of mind when purchasing a pre-owned Toyota or Lexus vehicle from us.

Alison Ong (Ms)

General Manager

Customer Relations Division

Borneo Motors (S)

Edited by Mcf777

u also need to consider the wear and tear parts that need to be replaced for a 7 year old car. Could add up to a couple of thousand bucks

Go and ask for a long test drive. Must test the used car right? Must get opinion right?

Then drive it to another second hand dealer, telling him you you want to sell/trade in that car!

The second dealer will give you his most honest answer to the real worth of the car. This old lah, that wear out lah, old model hard to sell lah, low Coe value, etc etc.

With that in mind....make a offer somewhere in between to the first car dealer for the car!

That's my best advice for all car buyers!!

Ya, as a ex-owner of the car..i want my detail to remain confidential as well...I had an experience before when I sold my 2 years old car...the buyer actually called me to ask about the car history...KNN..damn tu lan....I call the agent and fark him upside down!

Go and ask for a long test drive. Must test the used car right? Must get opinion right?

Then drive it to another second hand dealer, telling him you you want to sell/trade in that car!

The second dealer will give you his most honest answer to the real worth of the car. This old lah, that wear out lah, old model hard to sell lah, low Coe value, etc etc.

With that in mind....make a offer somewhere in between to the first car dealer for the car!

That's my best advice for all car buyers!!

Normally you talk alot of c--k.

But this suggestion is good. [laugh]

Got strategy to save on buying used car using these quidelines:

1) buy a parf car with about 3 years left to go> so that there's not much money the dealer can mark up anyway.

2) go for mileage about 10-15kpa. <10k pa is too underutilized and may pose other problems.

mileage can be adjusted

3) go for agent serviced.

unless you can verify, if not same as not saying

4) preferably 1 owner and parked in sheltered place.

1 owner yes. sheltered carpark cannot verify

5) prepare not to take loan so that 1) dealer cannot make money for loan 2) can get rid of car anything if not happy or if any major defect without suffering any loss from early loan settlement because value of car is near paper value anyway.

if dun take loan. they will up the price or less discount. LPPL

If bros and sis notice that in ST advertised are usually newer cars, thus much can be marked up on price and dealer can make on loan also. Dealers don't mind advertising bacause they stand to make a lot if deal is realised.

So sgcarmart is the place to go to looks for such good value cars if bros and sis scrutise hard enough.

Just my humble view and may not suit everyone, especially those looking for cars with latest features etc.

you must know how dealer work...

Neutral Newbie

When i went to look around for 2nd hand cars i went with a cousin of mine who is a mechanic. One thing he helped me with was advising me on choosing a car that also wouldn't be too expensive to fix in case of having any troubles with it. I think that for most people that can also be a good point to look for.

When i went to look around for 2nd hand cars i went with a cousin of mine who is a mechanic. One thing he helped me with was advising me on choosing a car that also wouldn't be too expensive to fix in case of having any troubles with it. I think that for most people that can also be a good point to look for.

Dont mind me asking, is there any specific car model that is not expensive to fix? I am quite surprised by the cost to repair my Honda for a rather small superficial damage....good thing I'm not paying.

Neutral Newbie

Dont mind me asking, is there any specific car model that is not expensive to fix? I am quite surprised by the cost to repair my Honda for a rather small superficial damage....good thing I'm not paying.

Sure they are all expensive to fix but surely you agree that there are brands whose parts or fixing expenses are a lot more expensive than others, at least it's what I think but maybe i'm not right;)

Sure they are all expensive to fix but surely you agree that there are brands whose parts or fixing expenses are a lot more expensive than others, at least it's what I think but maybe i'm not right;)

All I know is VW used to be a massive pain to fix with long wait for parts but that was a long time ago. I suppose we have to stick to popular AD models then. My car is PI, JDM only, which is probably why it is so expensive, even though it is a popular car model.

Thanks!

Dealer also reading this arh.:)

Anyway dealer also got family to feed, as long as don't chop too much can liao.

↡ Advertisement