Strategies on buying used car

Cook1234

Does he source for the car you want bro?

Yup, he would go look around  and select only those that he feels is bang for money. Or his customers that traded in with good conditions. We known each other for decades.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Turbocharged
(edited)

The best way to gauge how the previous owner handled the car is to look at these key factors - 

1) Steering wheel - a shiny and worn out steering wheel but mileage is low? Better to give this a miss. Unless the dealer does a re-wrap to conceal the history.

post-27974-0-54907600-1558271429_thumb.jpg

2) Worn out gear knob - an auto transmission gear knob is seldom in contact with, unlike a manual gear knob. If an auto gear knob can be worn out, the owner is probably very rough

post-27974-0-61251300-1558272116_thumb.jpg

3) Seats - low mileage but badly worn out and flat seats? Another example of tweaked mileage. Observe the side of the driver's seat. If it's flat, it also tells another story on the manner in which the driver enters and exits the car  This photo is not the worst example.  

post-27974-0-78196200-1558271659_thumb.jpg

4) Blurred headlamps - clear indication that the car is parked under the sun for extended periods

post-27974-0-62084900-1558271822_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 3

(edited)

The best way to gauge how the previous owner handled the car is to look at these key factors - 

1) Steering wheel - a shiny and worn out steering wheel but mileage is low? Better to give this a miss. Unless the dealer does a re-wrap to conceal the history.

attachicon.gifteana.jpg

2) Worn out gear knob - an auto transmission gear knob is seldom in contact with, unlike a manual gear knob. If an auto gear knob can be worn out, the owner is probably very rough

attachicon.gifgear.jpg

3) Seats - low mileage but badly worn out and flat seats? Another example of tweaked mileage. Observe the side of the driver's seat. If it's flat, it also tells another story on the manner in which the driver enters and exits the car  This photo is not the worst example.  

attachicon.gifbmw.jpg

4) Blurred headlamps - clear indication that the car is parked under the sun for extended periods

attachicon.gifheadlamps.jpg

thanks for sharing, if you have more pics, do share ! 

just curious - how easy to zhng mileage?

aka the way i read it, like super easy - every one seems to be doing it

other than "official AD / Big Brand workshop service records"

is there any legit way to find out if the mileage has been zhng before?

cheers!

Edited by TeamAMG69

Turbocharged
(edited)

You can say it's a given that mileage is tweaked for every used car sold by used car dealers, even more so now that  private hire cars are in the resale market. Nobody would want to purchase a used car with 80,000km annual mileage.

But there are some used car dealers who stand by their integrity and leave the mileage untouched. A non private hire used car with a high mileage done mostly on the highway may be a better buy than one  with a low mileage with multiple short distance city drives. 

Seen those used cars with multiple owners but with an unbelievable 10,000km annual mileage? Probably a lemon that lived most of its life in the workshop.

I don't trust those used car evaluation either. As a business entity, if you are honest and give the actual 'C' rating, you'd go bust in a matter of time.

Edited by Vinceng

Turbocharged
(edited)

Some examples of good condition 10 yr old cars

The seat is original with reasonable creases. The curve at the side of the driver seat is still well retained and not flat

post-27974-0-66707300-1558326920_thumb.jpg

Dashboard in good condition. Gear knob is matt in finishing. Original steering wheel has a little shine which is acceptable.

post-27974-0-28158500-1558327041_thumb.jpg

Original alcantara leather seats are still in good condition with minimal wear. Centre console arm rest in good condition without that dimple when driver rests elbow on it frequently.

post-27974-0-87109400-1558327112_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 1

My close relative has been sharing this lobang of brand new Altis at $55/day under don't know what Grab or Comfort Delgro deal. Seems like got a few batches release already and it is not tied down to any PHV company as in must drive full time. It is definitely a much better deal though I am not interested so never follow up.

Btw I did a rough calculation for interests sake. If I am to get a car, new or used, at > $10k/yr depreciation, then the above deal is more worth it. But please do not take my word for it, go find out if keen.

Turbocharged

My close relative has been sharing this lobang of brand new Altis at $55/day under don't know what Grab or Comfort Delgro deal. 

The advertised rental rate of $55 is AFTER the Grab, or any other private hire APP rebates.

No business is so insane to rent out a brand new $100K car at $55  a day.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

The advertised rental rate of $55 is AFTER the Grab, or any other private hire APP rebates.

No business is so insane to rent out a brand new $100K car at $55 a day.

Precisely. Which idiot will dump money into buying and renting out cars if the profits are not good. Might as well dump the money in fixed deposit.

Did anyone bother to go find out at all? At all?

My source is reliable, not tiagong from tiagong one. But I not keen as got enough cars already. And defintiely not that keen on Altis, brand new or not, haha.

I mostly deal with my dealer who is also my friend.

All I need is to agree to a price and a valid insurance paper.

I drive away after that.

Cos he trust me won't play him out.

He from which dealer

Turbocharged

Nowdays, you never know if the used car you just purchased is an ex rental, with dealers renting out unsold cars.

Turbocharged

Did anyone bother to go find out at all? At all?

My source is reliable, not tiagong from tiagong one. But I not keen as got enough cars already. And defintiely not that keen on Altis, brand new or not, haha.

Why bother?

Taking loan is not good. But when we don't have enough money, but purchasing that particular thing also become so important then we are forced to take the loan. So, I think with the loan purchasing a new car will be more beneficial. 

• Dislike 1

Hypersonic

Taking loan is not good. But when we don't have enough money, but purchasing that particular thing also become so important then we are forced to take the loan. So, I think with the loan purchasing a new car will be more beneficial.

Wow! Tell us something that we don’t know.
  • Praise 2

(edited)

Wow! Tell us something that we don’t know.

If you do not find it interesting, then my dear this message is not for you. The needy one will like this. 

Edited by Johnbrown

If you do not find it interesting, then my dear this message is not for you. The needy one will like this. 

gee, thanks !! you are real helpful !! ................................................ NOT

↡ Advertisement