Strategies on buying used car

Cook1234

$32 for shocks, I am impressed. Did you DIY?

Those rear shock-absorbers were easier DIY, since no precision wheels alignments required after replacement.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Some things to share:

Who the previous owner was (Teacher, or lady, or Malay) owner doesn't guarantee good condition

Assume mileage has been clocked unless you get chronologically accurate service records

Expect breakdowns - even genuine low mileage cars are subject to years of outdoor exposure without turning a wheel

Check that the car you buy isn't overdue for a scheduled major service costing a couple of thousand dollars, or has it due very shortly. Same for road tax.

Accident history: bumps and bingles are part and parcel of driving. Pull up the boot bottom carpets, check body panel alignments, under door sills, etc, for evidence of major accidents

See more than one example of the car you're interested in. Test drive a brand new one at the dealer's if its still available on the market

Hidden costs of purchase that may not be mentioned in the initial verbal quote: processing fees, transfer fees, etc. Also, shop around for the best insurance/bank loan. The shop that you're buying the car from may have commissions-linked motivations that might not necessarily net you the best deal

Check that the stock car wasn't simply a demod

Unique enthusiasts' cars can usually be traced back to their respective forums where you can get an idea of its history. IMHO enthusiasts' cars *may* be driven hard but are invariably well maintained as their owners are quite into their cars

More when I can remember

Edited by Macrosszero

At 40k major servicing, i had spent ard 2k replacing the wear and tear parts (Brake Pads, 4L engine oil, brake fluid, transmission oil, alternator, filter) plus a through servicing on the Aircon, flushing and all... it does feel good after that..(maybe its a illusion) feels that the car is back to 90% of its condition... hahahaha

Yr alternator spoil at only 40K km? Thats very early. Thats about the mileage of a 2 year or less car. [:/]

Plus yr service/repairs cost quite high fr the things u did. [dizzy] (Although some I see as unnecessary).

What car u drive?

Competitive charges and good workmanship for my car, although they also handle other continental cars.

Ya ty also promote their services fr Chevy cars at the Chevy forum.

But I find their charges a bit on the high side. Maybe cos I can get very good deals here n there. [cool]

I guess many wil find their charges OK.

But I did see a couple of complaints about their work in some forums b4. :blink:

They are trained to see body language.

Dont show interested.

Dont wear expensive clothings, watches, shoe, etc- they got eagle eyes to spot these things.

dun show interested.

Ya. Show interest in a car u dont want, then casually ask about the car u DO want as u r walking out of the showroom. [thumbsup]

Ty see a sale walking out the door, ty wil make a very good offer to pull u back. [laugh]

Yr alternator spoil at only 40K km? Thats very early. Thats about the mileage of a 2 year or less car. [:/]

Plus yr service/repairs cost quite high fr the things u did. [dizzy] (Although some I see as unnecessary).

What car u drive?

its a impreza 1.6 A...

actually the car was already 3 years old when i bought it...

mileage was 40k... and no major servicing done yet.

soi guess i had to throw in some money... total ard 1.5k to get the wear and tear parts replaced.

1) I called Borneo Motors to ask for latest Servicing done, They tell me it's 35000KM.

It is me or them? Is Accident Repair = Servicing? Huh?

2) Sorry pardon me for my limited Vocab, I have all black and whites to prove that Borneo Motors Do Not really protect previous owner's details. It's archived in my pile of mess 2.5 Years back, I need to search and I wish to share here! Need some time this weekend to find.

3) Champion Motors? Since when did I mention Champion Motors?

So much confident? Let me share with you this also.

I forced the salesman to bring the car to STA Used Car Evaluation before dropping a $1000 deposit based on a A grading. No mention of signs of Accident, which I myself can see with my naked eyes after learning so much on cars for the past 3-4 years.

so wat kind of visible evidence of accident history can u spot with ur naked eye? (juz curious)

its a impreza 1.6 A...

actually the car was already 3 years old when i bought it...

mileage was 40k... and no major servicing done yet.

soi guess i had to throw in some money... total ard 1.5k to get the wear and tear parts replaced.

Maybe dealer adjust mileage??? [confused]

he better not be found doing it though...

honestly for 13k mileage every year seems reasonable enough...

but maybe they may resort to doing this...

at least they were honest that the ex owner did not do major servicing yet...

but anyway, its fixed now...

been enjoying the drive though the ocassional sounds occur...

as long as there are no major problems, i have been pretty satisfied so far other than the high FC... haha

he better not be found doing it though...

honestly for 13k mileage every year seems reasonable enough...

but maybe they may resort to doing this...

at least they were honest that the ex owner did not do major servicing yet...

but anyway, its fixed now...

been enjoying the drive though the ocassional sounds occur...

as long as there are no major problems, i have been pretty satisfied so far other than the high FC... haha

What sounds??? [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

hahaha, initially was the eeeeking sound...

but after 2 months it was ok...

mechanic told me it was because the new brake pads are screw tight...

hence after a period of time, its ok now...

next its like a clock ticking sound...

the mechanic says because of the metal from the air intake(KNN) one is touching the car body.

helped me push it up a bit... now ok for 1 week.

hhaha i hope there will not be any new sound coming out though...

mechanic told me it was because the new brake pads are screw tight... Brake pads can screw too tight [confused][confused]

the mechanic says because of the metal from the air intake(KNN) one is touching the car body. Now he loosen, wait u see patches of oil below the car. [sweatdrop]

Only can listen to wat he says ba...

his explanation is that when its too tight and then the pads are new so the sound...

but indeed after weeks the sound gone...

as for the filter, he actually didnt loosen anything, just helped to push it up further so it couldnt be too close to the body...

as for me, my knowledge about cars is simply too little to ask much questions...

reading up more so far on MCF is indeed adding to my knowledge this past week.

Only can listen to wat he says ba...

his explanation is that when its too tight and then the pads are new so the sound...

but indeed after weeks the sound gone...

as for the filter, he actually didnt loosen anything, just helped to push it up further so it couldnt be too close to the body...

as for me, my knowledge about cars is simply too little to ask much questions...

reading up more so far on MCF is indeed adding to my knowledge this past week.

And your mech knows this only too well. Hahaha. [laugh]

If my mech tok to me like that, I wil tell him to screw his balls on too tight wil also make funny sounds. Hahaha.

mechanic told me it was because the new brake pads are screw tight...

the mechanic says because of the metal from the air intake(KNN) one is touching the car body.

The brakes squeeling sound is usually he never put high temp copper grease on the brake shims.

The tick tick tick sound likely fron the hot exhaust pipes/silencer contracting as it cools. No harm in that at all. Its normal.

Thanks Bro...

at least i know it now...

actually the tick tock sound isnt too bad...

only while iddling at traffic light then it happens...

once it moves off the sound is gone...

but then it really is good to learn more so as to challenge them in future rather than just accepting whatever their suggestions...

Thanks Bro...

at least i know it now...

actually the tick tock sound isnt too bad...

only while iddling at traffic light then it happens...

once it moves off the sound is gone...

but then it really is good to learn more so as to challenge them in future rather than just accepting whatever their suggestions...

No prob. [wave]

Last time no Internet. I learnt the hard way. [sweatdrop]

Ya ty also promote their services fr Chevy cars at the Chevy forum.

But I find their charges a bit on the high side. Maybe cos I can get very good deals here n there. [cool]

I guess many wil find their charges OK.

But I did see a couple of complaints about their work in some forums b4. :blink:

After their expansion, the employees do most of the cars (the Malaysians better than the PRC ones).

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1