ST Forum: Puzzled By Tan Jee Say's Presidential Promises

Vulcann

Some one is obviously of the opinion that the 4th Tan is unsuitable..

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/...ory_692473.html

Puzzled by Tan Jee Say's presidential promises

I AM curious about the reasons behind Mr Tan Jee Say's motivation to serve Singaporeans ('Another Tan enters the fray'; last Saturday).

The investment adviser has resigned from the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP). Yet he continues to promote his five-year $60 billion National Regeneration Plan, which he lobbied for as an SDP candidate at the hustings for the recent general election, in his presidential bid. Has he confused the role of Singapore's head of state with that of an opposition MP?

If he is elected president, Mr Tan is reported to have stated that he plans to turn the grounds of the Istana into a central park. As far as I know, no country in the world, including the United States, has done this for the official residence of its titular head.

Security is a key consideration. There is also the dignity of the office. Imagine a foreign dignitary being met by sweaty joggers on his way to an official meeting with our president and prime minister.

Singaporeans may want a president who is not merely a rubber stamp for government policies, but it is just as important that we do not elect someone who rolls out populist schemes to appeal to the masses.

Toh Cheng Seong

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Security is a key consideration. There is also the dignity of the office. Imagine a foreign dignitary being met by sweaty joggers on his way to an official meeting with our president and prime minister

What's wrong with that?

If I were the foreign dignitary I would have praised the host and said that you are truly a people's president! [thumbsup][thumbsup]

The Istana is a govt office with a nice garden, not a holy ground please...

Edited by Vulcann

(edited)

IF Jee Say gets the official rubber stamp to contest, he DEFINITELY has my vote. No dilemmas for me like I had in juggling TKL and TCB, who were both MIWs for the longest time. This guy wore the red of the Singapore banner in a valiant effort in the last GE, and I'll support him. Screw Toh Cheng Seong and all the other running dogs and lackeys.

Edited by Turboflat4

My feeling is that Jee Say will be like our late President Mr. Ong T.C

I really likes his idea to open up Istana garden to the public.

Turbocharged
As far as I know, no country in the world, including the United States, has done this for the official residence of its titular head.

Toh Cheng Seong

wah low this chap......obviously he never go to JB before right......

The Istana of the Sultan of Johor is open to public everyday. It is a pretty nice place to chill out and exercise.

Jee Say has a vision for Singapore with his Regeneration Plan and has a right to speak for it but of course President powers are limited he knows.

For the Istana, security and event hosting can always be planned - it is the thought that shows here.

And as for Mr Toh, he may well have a political axe to grind - http://comment.straitstimes.com/showthread.php?t=44301

HDB, COE, PTC has a root cause. Jee Say will give the people a bigger say in OUR MONEY.

Turbocharged

As far as I know, no country in the world, including the United States, has done this for the official residence of its titular head.

Toh Cheng Seong

The Istana of the Sultan of Johor is open to public everyday. It is a pretty nice place to chill out and exercise.

Never been there before, but I heard so, from others who've been on the grounds. Sometimes, may bump into the royal himself, driving his golf cart...

I think opening istana grounds is even more logical, given singapore's lack of open spaces. Nobody has a right to hog large spaces for exclusive use.

Toh Cheng Seong

these states palace belong to the sultans, not the govt, they can do whatever they want with the place. can even open chicken or duck store.

i'm even more puzzled why it took so long for the attack dogs to come out. [rolleyes]

TJS for president! [grouphug]

If he can get the COE in the first place...

sadly all candidates got links with P*P in past or present...

no 1 has come forward with no links with them b4..

I guess it is pretty difficult for an ordinary Joe to come out campaigning.

He or she must have some social standing such that folks know them.

Here people only know politicians, businessman & bad guys [laugh]

Supercharged

I guess it is pretty difficult for an ordinary Joe to come out campaigning.

He or she must have some social standing such that folks know them.

Here people only know politicians, businessman & bad guys [laugh]

in any case, look at the eligibility criteria for elected president, is it a surprise that all have links to government before?

rather than blame others for not coming up, we should all blame the eligibility criteria which is designed such that only a small group of people (with their most likely politician inclination and affilation being aligned to you-know-who) is eligible to stand for election.

in any case, look at the eligibility criteria for elected president, is it a surprise that all have links to government before?

rather than blame others for not coming up, we should all blame the eligibility criteria which is designed such that only a small group of people (with their most likely politician inclination and affilation being aligned to you-know-who) is eligible to stand for election.

rghtly said....think even Obama will not qualify [laugh][laugh][laugh]

rghtly said....think even Obama will not qualify [laugh][laugh][laugh]

that why he mess up the accounting in the country [laugh] [laugh]

(edited)

TJS will make TT win this EP. AK will make no ripple.

Imagine of the 60% most vote TT instead of TCB.

the 40% most vote TJS and 2nd TKL and little TCB and AK.

TJS may garner 25% of the overal votes but TT will take 40%...

Edited by Tigerwoods
↡ Advertisement