Range Rover Evoque

SCChia

Glad you got your ride bruh,

The tailgate sound is created by the electric motor running inside, no way to soften the sound, but you can adjust the opening height though, they are build stronger as they to lifting the tailgate up in the event of snow accumulation, thus you have 2 struts closing and opening them, I have installed a thule bike rack on the tailgate before I switch to hitch mounted bike rack for more sturdiness and it have sufficient power to lift it up still.

Camera that fail to switch on is due to software issue, mine sometime lags a bit or there is once or twice it did not turn on, but you can bring it up tot the AD for follow up,

The loudness of the reverse sensor sound can be adjusted, just switch to reverse, and adjust the volume using your audio volume control knob. do check your driver instruction manual for more details.

After driving the car for 1 week, i notice the following and hope Evoque owner here can share and advise:-

- When I pressed the tailgate button to let it close automatically, the sound made by the hydraulic pumps is pretty loud.  Is that normal?

- When reversing, the camera does not turn on 100%.  Sometimes it shows the camera footage, sometime it shows the graphic of the rear sensor coverage.  What must i do to have the camera footage always ON when reversing?

- Is there a way to lower the loud reverse warning alarm sound?

Thanks in advance.

↡ Advertisement

Thanks Bro for your advise.  The camera and reverse volume issues have been solved after i sent in my car for checks and software upgrade.  The ride is good so far, except i start to hear rattling noises coming from both front doors and am disappointed with that considering the car is still new.  Still unable to locate where the noise comes from but it should be near the window or area around the top of the seat belt holder.  

Glad you got your ride bruh,

The tailgate sound is created by the electric motor running inside, no way to soften the sound, but you can adjust the opening height though, they are build stronger as they to lifting the tailgate up in the event of snow accumulation, thus you have 2 struts closing and opening them, I have installed a thule bike rack on the tailgate before I switch to hitch mounted bike rack for more sturdiness and it have sufficient power to lift it up still.

Camera that fail to switch on is due to software issue, mine sometime lags a bit or there is once or twice it did not turn on, but you can bring it up tot the AD for follow up,

The loudness of the reverse sensor sound can be adjusted, just switch to reverse, and adjust the volume using your audio volume control knob. do check your driver instruction manual for more details.

After driving the car for 1 week, i notice the following and hope Evoque owner here can share and advise:-

- When I pressed the tailgate button to let it close automatically, the sound made by the hydraulic pumps is pretty loud.  Is that normal?

- When reversing, the camera does not turn on 100%.  Sometimes it shows the camera footage, sometime it shows the graphic of the rear sensor coverage.  What must i do to have the camera footage always ON when reversing?

- Is there a way to lower the loud reverse warning alarm sound?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Bro for your advise.  The camera and reverse volume issues have been solved after i sent in my car for checks and software upgrade.  The ride is good so far, except i start to hear rattling noises coming from both front doors and am disappointed with that considering the car is still new.  Still unable to locate where the noise comes from but it should be near the window or area around the top of the seat belt holder.  

Hi bro,

With regards to the front door sound, you might want to try jamming a carpark coupon thickness, folded into half, and cut into maybe 5cm by 3cm rectangle and shoving it between the door card area near your shoulder, it needs to be between the leather portion and plastic portion, As you open the door, look for a round plastic cover measuring 1cm diameter, somewhere around your waist height, jam the parking coupon them. abit hard to explain in words, lol.

It took me around 3 months to get rid of all those sound. What`s worse is, those sound comes out while you are driving alone and no way to go around and press on panels esp those located in the rear of the car.

Hi Guys,

I have since gotten myself another ride, and traded in my Evoque, by now it should be on its way to New Zealand already (Kena Exported)

I`ve finally found a car fitting my long list requirement.

1) must be all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive

2) able to wade thru water 50cm

3) able to change out to heavy duty damper for long overlanding trip

4) able to use E10 petrol

5) twin fan for cooling

6) height clearance of min 8 inches

7) got spare temp tyre

8) able to install 2 inch towing hitch

9) timing chain only, no timing belt

10) able to install roof rack

11) bigger cargo space than current evoque

12) quality sound system

13) cruise control

14) able to retrofit light bar

15) good fuel tank mileage for long distance driving

16) reverse cam or sensor

17) air bags for driver, passenger, curtain airbags

18) reliable drivetrain and engine reputation

19) able to fit All terrain Tyres.

20) electric memory seat setting

21) budget ard 200K or less

22) Able to hold its own in mild off road situation

A few cars was short listed

1) Honda CRV

2) Toyota Rav4

3) Jeep compass

4) Jeep wrangler

5) Suzuki Jimny

6) Toyota FJ Cruiser

7) Toyota Land cruiser 200

8) Toyota Prado 150 Diesel / Petrol

9) Land rover Discovery sports

10) Land rover Discovery 4

11) Toyota fortuner

12) Subaru XV

13) Subaru Outback

14) Subaru forester

15) Jeep Cherokee

16) Jeep Grand Cherokee

18) Land rover Evoque

19) Ford Ranger

20) Ford Everest

21) Range rover sport diesel

22) Mitsubishi outlander

23) Nissan Qashqai

24) Nissan X trail

But while car shopping, due to the following reason they were dropped from the list,

1) Honda CRV

Front wheel drive, and interior looks dated with the wood trims (Dropped from shortlist)

2) Toyota Rav4

Front wheel drive, nice interior, (Dropped from shortlist)

3) Jeep compass

Italian engine, unsure of its longevity, quirky interior (Dropped from shortlist)

4) Jeep wrangler

Powerful engine but expensive, Shortlisted.

5) Suzuki Jimny

Limited interior space and fuel range, low top speed, Shortlisted

6) Toyota FJ Cruiser

Managed to sight 2 units in SPG brand new, but asking price is not worth buying, no one letting go of it in 2nd hand market (Dropped from shortlist)

Outside budget, wife complain too big (Dropped from shortlist)

8) Toyota Prado 150 Diesel / Petrol

Parallel importer seemed not interested to entertain, F-up attitude, Shortlisted

Unsure of ingenium engine, and pricing seemed steep, build quality (Dropped)

Limited second hand units in sgp, none seems mechanically care for (Dropped)

11) Toyota fortuner

Rear wheel drive only (New model) Dropped

12) Subaru XV

Abit on the small side, good ground clearance Shortlisted

13) Subaru Outback

Dated interior, Shortlisted

14) Subaru forester

Weak sound system, comfortable but bouncy ride, Shortlisted

15) Jeep Cherokee

Italian engine again (Dropped)

16) Jeep Grand Cherokee

Unsure if they managed to sort out the electrical gremlins, Australia user is still giving bad reviews (Dropped)

18) Land rover Evoque

Not much feeling on new evoque with the mega touch screen, and flush door handle Machiam velar, overpriced (Dropped)

19) Ford Ranger

G plate only!!!! Sian was looking forward to it launching in sgp (Dropped)

20) Ford Everest

Cannot come into Singapore because it is only Euro 5 compliant, Sian ½ (Dropped)

Tons in 2nd hand market, but asking price and reliability issues a concern (Dropped)

22) Mitsubishi outlander

Yeah no more 2.4 liter drinker engine, now comes in 2 liter, but only front wheel drive, (Dropped)

23) Nissan Qashqai

Front wheel drive only Sian1/2, (Dropped)

24) Nissan X trail

Cargo space can be bigger, front dashboard took up a lot of room space, (Shortlisted)

In the end here are the vehicles I have to do more research on,

1. Nissan X trail $148k, Cargo space can be bigger, front dashboard took up a lot of room space

1.  Subaru XV $103k, Abit on the small side, good ground clearance, handles tidily, but boot space is the only down side (Dropped)

1.  Subaru Outback $145k, Dated interior, wife complain the car long, and sits lower than evoque, (Dropped)

1.  Subaru forester $122k, Weak sound system, comfortable but bouncy ride, sales advisor chialat, bochup, cannot answer my queries, maybe Qs too technical liao

1.  Jeep wrangler $250k, Powerful engine, expensive, Reliability issue with electrical, and non-lockable bonnet is a concerns, wife complain too squarish inside and too tall for wife to climb up, and drives like a truck with vague steering feel, I kinda like it though, maybe guys thing, but sad to drop it (Dropped)

1.  Suzuki Jimny $118k, Limited interior space and fuel range, low top speed, comes in 4 speed auto, very buzzy on NSHW driving, not worth the money they asking for, (Dropped)

1. Toyota Prado 150 Diesel / Petrol $215k, Parallel importer seemed not interested to entertain, F-up attitude, after asking from another PI source, still same PI attitude issue, (Dropped)

After looking and shopping + research, finally settled on the forester, due to

Lots of aftermarket parts, undercarriage metal protection, towing hitch, roof rack, off road ability, and checks the most boxes

1) must be all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive (Yes)

2) able to wade thru water 50cm (Yes 50cm also, same as evoque)

3) able to change out to heavy duty damper for long overlanding trip (Yes, KYB or bilstein)

4) able to use E10 petrol (Yes, Confirmed in the owners-manual)

5) twin fan for cooling (Yes)

6) height clearance of min 8 inches (Yes 8.7 inch)

7) got spare temp tyre, (Yes, got mini donut)

8) able to install 2 inch towing hitch, (Yes/No, genuine Subaru hitch only 1 ¼ inch, aftermarket from Curt have 2 inch)

9) timing chain only, no timing belt (Yes, finally forester got timing chain not belt)

10) able to install roof rack (Yes, thule rack)

11) bigger cargo space than current evoque, (Yes, a lot bigger)

12) quality sound system (Nope, crappy speaker from myammar)

13) cruise control, (Yes, weird eyesight cruise control system)

14) able to retrofit light bar (Nope, need to retrofit and modify)

15) good fuel tank mileage for long distance driving (Yes, according to owner of the 2019 model hitting 720km per tankful)

16) reverse cam or sensor (Yes)

17) air bags for driver, passenger, curtain airbags (yes)

18) reliable drivetrain and engine reputation, (Yes, they changed to chain driven CTV and engine design got slight revision to direct injection)

19) able to fit All terrain Tyres. (Nope, stock 18 inch AT tyre replacement is a bitch to find)

20) electric memory seat setting (Yes)

21) budget ard 200K or less (yes)

22) Able to hold its own in mild off road situation (Yes, Youtube says so, lol)

And finally a proper attitude sales lady who went the extra mile to find out answer to my questions, not pushy, but very attentive and really listens to our needs. Throws in other stuff I needed, and gave a good price for my evoque.

Collected my  new ride last month, and shed tears saying goodbye to my evoque who have brought us to long overland trip, is gonna be sorely missed.

Now what am I gonna do with my evoque parts lying in my store???

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

On 7/11/2019 at 11:49 AM, Jellyfish said:

Hi bro,

With regards to the front door sound, you might want to try jamming a carpark coupon thickness, folded into half, and cut into maybe 5cm by 3cm rectangle and shoving it between the door card area near your shoulder, it needs to be between the leather portion and plastic portion, As you open the door, look for a round plastic cover measuring 1cm diameter, somewhere around your waist height, jam the parking coupon them. abit hard to explain in words, lol.

It took me around 3 months to get rid of all those sound. What`s worse is, those sound comes out while you are driving alone and no way to go around and press on panels esp those located in the rear of the car.

Good morning bro, i sent my car in to the authorized dealer's workshop hoping that they can sort out the noise issues but after having my car for almost 3/4 day they said they couldnt detect any noise.  Hence i have to record the noise whenever possible.  I did and record a 3 min audio of the noise and sent to them.  Bearing in mind this is what i hear everyday on my way to work throughout the 40 over mins drive.  My wife, friends and visitors all said i have a nice looking new car but the noise makes it sound like a old car with poor build quality :( .  If you have time listen to the audio file...is that the same type of noise you were experiencing? 

20190905_084111.m4a

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:28 AM, Orhbin said:

Good morning bro, i sent my car in to the authorized dealer's workshop hoping that they can sort out the noise issues but after having my car for almost 3/4 day they said they couldnt detect any noise.  Hence i have to record the noise whenever possible.  I did and record a 3 min audio of the noise and sent to them.  Bearing in mind this is what i hear everyday on my way to work throughout the 40 over mins drive.  My wife, friends and visitors all said i have a nice looking new car but the noise makes it sound like a old car with poor build quality :( .  If you have time listen to the audio file...is that the same type of noise you were experiencing? 

Hi Bro,

After listening to it, I suggest you check the following,

1) Fuel Line from tank to chassis, they do vibrate, and give out that noise, Wearnes did put cable ties on mine and some foam insulation on it.

2) Under carriage heat shield, they are notorious for losing its metal clips and causing the heat shield to vibrate, and if you cheong thru puddle of water, you will bend them causing it to rattle even more.

3) Center gear trim console, my dynamic trim ride has this 2 strip of alu trim running from head unit to the rear, its near your knee when you are driving, they are also capable of making that noise., I tore apart mine and grease up the alu trim and put it back, finally peace and quiet.

Never count on other wearnes to trouble shoot noise, cos they do not drive like you do. the speed and style differs. hope my 2 cents of where to look for is helpful.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:28 AM, Orhbin said:

• Praise 2

On 9/6/2019 at 4:56 PM, Jellyfish said:

After listening to it, I suggest you check the following,

1) Fuel Line from tank to chassis, they do vibrate, and give out that noise, Wearnes did put cable ties on mine and some foam insulation on it.

2) Under carriage heat shield, they are notorious for losing its metal clips and causing the heat shield to vibrate, and if you cheong thru puddle of water, you will bend them causing it to rattle even more.

3) Center gear trim console, my dynamic trim ride has this 2 strip of alu trim running from head unit to the rear, its near your knee when you are driving, they are also capable of making that noise., I tore apart mine and grease up the alu trim and put it back, finally peace and quiet.

Never count on other wearnes to trouble shoot noise, cos they do not drive like you do. the speed and style differs. hope my 2 cents of where to look for is helpful.

Thanks so much for the info.  I will check and see if i can fix those areas as you have mentioned.  Having said that, i and my wife are pretty sure some of the noises are coming near the top of the seatbelt area and we have adjusted the height whenever the noise surface but it doesnt work most of the time.  Is that also one of the area where it will generate noise like that?

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:03 PM, Orhbin said:

Thanks so much for the info.  I will check and see if i can fix those areas as you have mentioned.  Having said that, i and my wife are pretty sure some of the noises are coming near the top of the seatbelt area and we have adjusted the height whenever the noise surface but it doesnt work most of the time.  Is that also one of the area where it will generate noise like that?

Yes the seatbelt mechanism does indeed vibrate inside the panel area, where you do the seatbelt adjustment, I got that sound on the driver side, I've tried spraying lubricant on the bolt, but found out that the sound was caused by the structural ribbing designed onto the plastic panel, only way is to remove it and trim out the excess that comes into contact with the plastic seatbelt pivot located inside the height adjustment panel, for temp fix, I used a felt sticky pad which people stick under the leg of table to minimise scratching and paste inside, but it was short lived as it dropped after 3 weeks on mine,

On 9/18/2019 at 9:54 AM, Jellyfish said:

Yes the seatbelt mechanism does indeed vibrate inside the panel area, where you do the seatbelt adjustment, I got that sound on the driver side, I've tried spraying lubricant on the bolt, but found out that the sound was caused by the structural ribbing designed onto the plastic panel, only way is to remove it and trim out the excess that comes into contact with the plastic seatbelt pivot located inside the height adjustment panel, for temp fix, I used a felt sticky pad which people stick under the leg of table to minimise scratching and paste inside, but it was short lived as it dropped after 3 weeks on mine,

last week while i was away on business trip, i arranged with wearnes to leave my car with them for 3 days to rectify the noise issues.  They carried out the following on my car:-

- Brake Pedal mechanism linkage lubricated : The noise issue solved

- Seat belt mechanism insulated - Both front : Noise issues not solved

- All door rubber seals lubricated

- Both chrome panel centre console insulted : Noise issues not solved.  There is a disc rattling noise whenever the car goes over connecting sections of expressway or when the car accelerates after braking was applied.

Looks like the car is going in workshop again when i next travel.  :(

39 minutes ago, Orhbin said:

last week while i was away on business trip, i arranged with wearnes to leave my car with them for 3 days to rectify the noise issues.  They carried out the following on my car:-

- Brake Pedal mechanism linkage lubricated : The noise issue solved

- Seat belt mechanism insulated - Both front : Noise issues not solved

- All door rubber seals lubricated

- Both chrome panel centre console insulted : Noise issues not solved.  There is a disc rattling noise whenever the car goes over connecting sections of expressway or when the car accelerates after braking was applied.

Looks like the car is going in workshop again when i next travel.  :(

I sure share the same sentiment with regards to hunting down the noise, and can drive you up the wall (Pek Chek), there is a very long thread in BabyRR forum just for noise the Evoque makes.

Do update us if the re appointment with Wearns produce any good results.

Hi Guys,

I just recently went for my first service check with my RR and afterwards I can't connect to the internet anymore. I usually connect through my phone's hot spot but I can't do it now. No traffic info or web browser available. InControl apps also don't have internet connection.

They did a system update during the check at the workshop so I don't know if they messed something up. Any suggestions? Any of you had a similar problem?

Max

On 7/11/2019 at 1:25 PM, Jellyfish said:

Hi Guys,

I have since gotten myself another ride, and traded in my Evoque, by now it should be on its way to New Zealand already (Kena Exported)

5) twin fan for cooling

7) got spare temp tyre

😎 able to install 2 inch towing hitch

12) quality sound system

13) cruise control

1) Honda CRV

2) Toyota Rav4

3) Jeep compass

4) Jeep wrangler

5) Suzuki Jimny

6) Toyota FJ Cruiser

😎 Toyota Prado 150 Diesel / Petrol

11) Toyota fortuner

12) Subaru XV

13) Subaru Outback

14) Subaru forester

15) Jeep Cherokee

16) Jeep Grand Cherokee

18) Land rover Evoque

19) Ford Ranger

20) Ford Everest

22) Mitsubishi outlander

23) Nissan Qashqai

24) Nissan X trail

But while car shopping, due to the following reason they were dropped from the list,

1) Honda CRV

Front wheel drive, and interior looks dated with the wood trims (Dropped from shortlist)

2) Toyota Rav4

3) Jeep compass

Italian engine, unsure of its longevity, quirky interior (Dropped from shortlist)

4) Jeep wrangler

5) Suzuki Jimny

6) Toyota FJ Cruiser

Managed to sight 2 units in SPG brand new, but asking price is not worth buying, no one letting go of it in 2nd hand market (Dropped from shortlist)

Parallel importer seemed not interested to entertain, F-up attitude, Shortlisted

11) Toyota fortuner

12) Subaru XV

13) Subaru Outback

14) Subaru forester

15) Jeep Cherokee

16) Jeep Grand Cherokee

Unsure if they managed to sort out the electrical gremlins, Australia user is still giving bad reviews (Dropped)

18) Land rover Evoque

Not much feeling on new evoque with the mega touch screen, and flush door handle Machiam velar, overpriced (Dropped)

19) Ford Ranger

20) Ford Everest

Cannot come into Singapore because it is only Euro 5 compliant, Sian ½ (Dropped)

Tons in 2nd hand market, but asking price and reliability issues a concern (Dropped)

22) Mitsubishi outlander

Yeah no more 2.4 liter drinker engine, now comes in 2 liter, but only front wheel drive, (Dropped)

23) Nissan Qashqai

24) Nissan X trail

Cargo space can be bigger, front dashboard took up a lot of room space, (Shortlisted)

1. Nissan X trail $148k, Cargo space can be bigger, front dashboard took up a lot of room space

1.  Subaru XV $103k, Abit on the small side, good ground clearance, handles tidily, but boot space is the only down side (Dropped)

1.  Subaru Outback $145k, Dated interior, wife complain the car long, and sits lower than evoque, (Dropped)

1.  Subaru forester $122k, Weak sound system, comfortable but bouncy ride, sales advisor chialat, bochup, cannot answer my queries, maybe Qs too technical liao

1.  Jeep wrangler $250k, Powerful engine, expensive, Reliability issue with electrical, and non-lockable bonnet is a concerns, wife complain too squarish inside and too tall for wife to climb up, and drives like a truck with vague steering feel, I kinda like it though, maybe guys thing, but sad to drop it (Dropped)

1.  Suzuki Jimny $118k, Limited interior space and fuel range, low top speed, comes in 4 speed auto, very buzzy on NSHW driving, not worth the money they asking for, (Dropped)

1. Toyota Prado 150 Diesel / Petrol $215k, Parallel importer seemed not interested to entertain, F-up attitude, after asking from another PI source, still same PI attitude issue, (Dropped)

Lots of aftermarket parts, undercarriage metal protection, towing hitch, roof rack, off road ability, and checks the most boxes

3) able to change out to heavy duty damper for long overlanding trip (Yes, KYB or bilstein)

😎 able to install 2 inch towing hitch, (Yes/No, genuine Subaru hitch only 1 ¼ inch, aftermarket from Curt have 2 inch)

9) timing chain only, no timing belt (Yes, finally forester got timing chain not belt)

15) good fuel tank mileage for long distance driving (Yes, according to owner of the 2019 model hitting 720km per tankful)

18) reliable drivetrain and engine reputation, (Yes, they changed to chain driven CTV and engine design got slight revision to direct injection)

19) able to fit All terrain Tyres. (Nope, stock 18 inch AT tyre replacement is a bitch to find)

And finally a proper attitude sales lady who went the extra mile to find out answer to my questions, not pushy, but very attentive and really listens to our needs. Throws in other stuff I needed, and gave a good price for my evoque.

Collected my  new ride last month, and shed tears saying goodbye to my evoque who have brought us to long overland trip, is gonna be sorely missed.

very interesting write up here......:)

On 7/11/2019 at 1:25 PM, Jellyfish said:

Hi Guys,

5) twin fan for cooling

7) got spare temp tyre

😎 able to install 2 inch towing hitch

12) quality sound system

13) cruise control

1) Honda CRV

2) Toyota Rav4

3) Jeep compass

4) Jeep wrangler

5) Suzuki Jimny

6) Toyota FJ Cruiser

11) Toyota fortuner

12) Subaru XV

13) Subaru Outback

14) Subaru forester

15) Jeep Cherokee

16) Jeep Grand Cherokee

18) Land rover Evoque

19) Ford Ranger

20) Ford Everest

22) Mitsubishi outlander

23) Nissan Qashqai

24) Nissan X trail

1) Honda CRV

2) Toyota Rav4

3) Jeep compass

4) Jeep wrangler

5) Suzuki Jimny

6) Toyota FJ Cruiser

11) Toyota fortuner

12) Subaru XV

13) Subaru Outback

14) Subaru forester

15) Jeep Cherokee

16) Jeep Grand Cherokee

18) Land rover Evoque

19) Ford Ranger

20) Ford Everest

22) Mitsubishi outlander

23) Nissan Qashqai

24) Nissan X trail

😎 able to install 2 inch towing hitch, (Yes/No, genuine Subaru hitch only 1 ¼ inch, aftermarket from Curt have 2 inch)

would pt 2 with a snorkel works out the same?

Interestingly , the SPF has a Prado for ministerial duties.

Edited by Sdf4786k

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:00 AM, Sdf4786k said:

would pt 2 with a snorkel works out the same?

Interestingly , the SPF has a Prado for ministerial duties.

Different still bruh,

There is more than just snorkel to ensure safe wading, Door sealing will let in water above certain depth, gearbox/diff/engine/ all have breather hose to also deter water from going into them.

Electronic also have a limit on how high water can wade thru before getting wet. some vehicle might float if water is too deep, but in those cases, they are just taking the risk of having water inside cabin or being floated away, no point wading deep if your car just float away if cannot find traction to get out of the deep water.

50 to 70cm is my comfort zone, anything higher, I rather detour or wait it out. lol SGP car too ex to destroy.

• Praise 1

10 minutes ago, Jellyfish said:

Different still bruh,

There is more than just snorkel to ensure safe wading, Door sealing will let in water above certain depth, gearbox/diff/engine/ all have breather hose to also deter water from going into them.

Electronic also have a limit on how high water can wade thru before getting wet. some vehicle might float if water is too deep, but in those cases, they are just taking the risk of having water inside cabin or being floated away, no point wading deep if your car just float away if cannot find traction to get out of the deep water.

50 to 70cm is my comfort zone, anything higher, I rather detour or wait it out. lol SGP car too ex to destroy.

Well then, nothing less than a defender 110 will suffice. 

↡ Advertisement