Black flakes from washing machine

Fcw75

1 hour ago, Fcw75 said:

It’s the softener and liquid detergent basically.

I used this one, very effective. Mine’s always a top loader.

https://shopee.sg/product/173464235/2809673293?smtt=0.34349542-1637163655.9

Thanks, I tried to find out what's inside. I thought it's some borax or sodium carbonate.

Instead I find Affresh, wm cleaner

image.png.c8636de22446b0651629d01f6bbca6d3.png

Sodium percarbonate -> Kao color bleach powder

Sodium carbonate -> washing soda

Vinegar -> acetic acid

Ok, maybe I can cobble up some of these powders + vinegar, and avoid the bleach. [:p]

I notice my Samsung top load has this problem with the black particle. Electrolux front load doesn't seem to have this problem, but it's probably hidden.

Cold water wash and top load water sitting on top of a drum, may be the difference causing this problem than with front load and warm/hot water wash.

• Praise 2

8 hours ago, Kxbc said:

Stained some clothes permanently when I did not remove all and iron them. The black stains literally melted and got stuck to the clothes. Can't remove at all. 

Yeah... hated that. Like pee sai.

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Playtime said:

Had the problem lay time. 

Switched to powder... no more problem. 

Damn those soap scum. 😒

I have been using powder detergent all along but this year switched to those KA laundry capsule. Too convenient.

Waiting to see when the soap scum will be back.

I am using Samsung front load washing machine.  Every 40 wash it will give warning for drum cleaning, thrre is a auto drum cleaning function. I always used the drum cleaning detergent to clean it, add some soda powder.

• Praise 1

For people who die die must use iquid softener, can try not pouring direct to the inlet... dilute it fully first with water. 

I think the pee sai forms when undissolved half dried bits of liquid softerner etc somewhere in the intestines of the washer sticks on to your clothing like glue 🤔... iron it... and it's done,  can buy new cloths 

Front load washer. 

Persil/Spin.

I use the 90 degree drum cleaning cycle sometimes, maybe every few months. Supposed to do monthly but forget.

Just buy those powder form washing machine cleaner and use it every 2 months. Confirm ok. Mine is top loader, using it to wash clothes 4 times per week. 

basically powder detergent maybe better for removing more types of "dirt". Scum doesn't really exist in front load cos as long as u clean the rubber seal for the door, your drum is always clean.

Was damn pissed that day. Was hand rinsing a mattress protector with waterproof lining inside that hasnt been washed for several years cos it was protecting a mattress which is stacked underneath another mattress. Then i noticed the plastic lining was bit worn out. But heck since i hand rinsed the bedsheet already, might as well do both. And since I've been junking lots of things recently, decided not to be so wasteful. maybe keep it for a while more before junking.

Put into washer at 40 degrees, the plastic lining disintegrated coating the entire drum in white flakes (like tissue paper) but on a worse scale. At the same time, the water overflow from the drain coated my service yard floor with the same thing. Bloody hell had to spend time cleaning both. 

One mistake led to essentially a lot of clean up. 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged

In conclusion:

1. Top loader - seems to be happening to almost every user, whether using or not using washing powder, washing liquid, liquid softener, bleach. Proposed solutions might work.

2. Front loader - No such issue noted from users.

• Praise 1

11 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

basically powder detergent maybe better for removing more types of "dirt". Scum doesn't really exist in front load cos as long as u clean the rubber seal for the door, your drum is always clean.

Was damn pissed that day. Was hand rinsing a mattress protector with waterproof lining inside that hasnt been washed for several years cos it was protecting a mattress which is stacked underneath another mattress. Then i noticed the plastic lining was bit worn out. But heck since i hand rinsed the bedsheet already, might as well do both. And since I've been junking lots of things recently, decided not to be so wasteful. maybe keep it for a while more before junking.

Put into washer at 40 degrees, the plastic lining disintegrated coating the entire drum in white flakes (like tissue paper) but on a worse scale. At the same time, the water overflow from the drain coated my service yard floor with the same thing. Bloody hell had to spend time cleaning both. 

And you got a full cardio workout too.. what's not to like 🤣🤣🤣

• Shocked 1

37 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

In conclusion:

1. Top loader - seems to be happening to almost every user, whether using or not using washing powder, washing liquid, liquid softener, bleach. Proposed solutions might work.

2. Front loader - No such issue noted from users.

No leh, if you just use washing powder only for top loader then no such problem.

Edited by Fcw75

8 hours ago, Kb27 said:

Thanks, I tried to find out what's inside. I thought it's some borax or sodium carbonate.

Instead I find Affresh, wm cleaner

image.png.c8636de22446b0651629d01f6bbca6d3.png

Sodium percarbonate -> Kao color bleach powder

Sodium carbonate -> washing soda

Vinegar -> acetic acid

Ok, maybe I can cobble up some of these powders + vinegar, and avoid the bleach. [:p]

I notice my Samsung top load has this problem with the black particle. Electrolux front load doesn't seem to have this problem, but it's probably hidden.

Cold water wash and top load water sitting on top of a drum, may be the difference causing this problem than with front load and warm/hot water wash.

Bro, you are a DIY guy.

Take out the whole drum and clean the outside yourself man! 😁

• Haha! 1

40 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

New washing machine?

• Haha! 1

17 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

New washing machine?

no lah. use hot water cycle disintegrate the plastic flakes to smaller. Then hand clean the drum with pail of water and a thin microfibre cloth that can see the flakes. Also clean up my service yard.
then run another 2 rinse cycles.

Dulan man. Chucked the mattress protector down the rubbish chute!

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1