Conti cars immune to heavy rain?

Unidentified

yesterday morning heavy downpour encountered 2 conti,1 vw golf and 1 opel astra zooming very fast on lane 1(easily 130-140).it's not the 1st time i encounter conti cars running fast on wet weather.are conti cars immune to wet weather?

↡ Advertisement

yesterday morning heavy downpour encountered 2 conti,1 vw golf and 1 opel astra zooming very fast on lane 1(easily 130-140).it's not the 1st time i encounter conti cars running fast on wet weather.are conti cars immune to wet weather?

Non Conti cars can also travel 130-140 in the wet, is just whether the driver got the balls to or not only.. [rolleyes]

Neutral Newbie

I think there are several factors but country make is not one of them. The weight of the car, brakes, alignment and most importantly, the tyre size and condition. I was driving a Toyota Wish, when it was 2 mths old, I was travelling very comfortably at 140 - 150 kmh on NSHW when it was raining. The car was very stable. You feel in control. I like to speed when it is raining becos there is not policeman. When the tyre and the car was around 1.5 year old, travelling at 110kmh during raining is so scary. The car was drifting and slightly floating.

More than 10yrs ago, driving 100 km/h on BKE in the rains, during office hrs had to drive co Mit Lancer, hit a pool of water on lane1. Car was suddenly "sloshed backward and floating" and the few seconds was like eternity, and totally no control of the car.

However, whenever I drove my OPEL Corsa 1.2, I can simply drive thru the pool of water without worry.

So, I guess the heavier Corsa help to overcome the pool of water. Of course heavier weight of car would give slower pickup and higher fuel consumption. There are always pros and cons.

Its actually very true.

When I was last up the NSH to Melaka, was driving a rented Jepun car.

On dry road, it drove perfectly AOK. Can go up to 140++ km/hr prolonged - no problemo.

But then, near Ayer Keroh, it started to rain heavily.

I had to slow down to 70-80 km/h, because the water puddles over certain sections of the NSH would pull my steering wheel to one side, as the front tyres hit these puddles (and slow down, relative to the other tyres).

So it is not so much whether I can go faster.

The constant pulling of the steering wheel over water puddles, would automatically 'warn' you to slow down, as otherwise it would be dangerous ... with family on board and all.

However,

The most blatant difference was that I see Mercedes Benz's and BMW's zooming past me at >110 km/h along the same wet NSH, without even having to slow down ..... water puddles and all!!!

So is it their F/R-RWD configuration, or better performance tyres that make them immune to the water puddles during the thunderstorm?

i also duno why but i usually do 130-140 at NSH on rain, i know i shouldn't but it actually quite stable despite the down pour [:(]

partly you know the polis won't be out there asking for kopi $

I feel the tyres play a big part. The only other factor could be conti car give better steering feedback, thus better confidence and the driver will be less likely to be caught by surprise.

Black opel astra?

both are white golf and astra.

i am just puzzled and if you keep a lookout during heavy downpour,those cars those zoom past above 100km/hr in the 1st lane are mostly conti.the rest like me will jus stick to center lane and drive at 70-80km/hr.

More than 10yrs ago, driving 100 km/h on BKE in the rains, during office hrs had to drive co Mit Lancer, hit a pool of water on lane1. Car was suddenly "sloshed backward and floating" and the few seconds was like eternity, and totally no control of the car.

However, whenever I drove my OPEL Corsa 1.2, I can simply drive thru the pool of water without worry.

So, I guess the heavier Corsa help to overcome the pool of water. Of course heavier weight of car would give slower pickup and higher fuel consumption. There are always pros and cons.

i c.so it's more of the car rather than the balls of drivers.

I believed the tyres plays the main part.....not so much with the car

+1 to tires. Design of tires specifically, threads that 'cut' through water are more stable on wet roads.

NSHW can drive fast on rainy days due to road design and rough surface. If you notice, the 'pores' of roads are bigger, water drains off very fast in heavy downpour, hardly any accumulation of water on road surface, meaning more tire grip to road. Very important for high speed highways.

If you see our expressways, there's a layer of water on surface of road (can see reflections), more slippery and thus can't drive as fast as NSHW.

Doing high speed on NSH is different with doing it in Singapore context. Singapore tends to have water trap on expressway. Whereas for NSH, I seldom see puddle of water even though raining heavily.

Most conti cars are shod with super duper continental tyres. This brand of tyre got huge longkangs to drain away the water very well.

Also conti cars are veery well insulated from the external sound/vibration, which gives the driver a safe sense of confidence.

Also these cars got super abs and stability controls, so easier to control and drive in dangerous wet condition.

Also these rich owners got money to repairs or service their cars, so no worries.

↡ Advertisement