ST Forum: PR's Plea On Lift Upgrading

Vulcann

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Online...ory_700651.html

PR's plea on lift upgrading

SINGAPOREANS are lucky to have the Government upgrade their homes by subsidising lift upgrading by up to 95 per cent ('Why lift upgrading cannot be compulsory' by the Housing Board; last Saturday).

However, permanent residents (PRs) are not eligible to vote in lift upgrading. Why is this so?

PRs pay the full market price for their resale HDB flats and conservancy charges, and do not enjoy service and conservancy rebates.

They regard their flats as their homes and contribute to nation building through the taxes they pay. And yet, when HDB asks residents to vote on the lift upgrading for their blocks, PRs are not allowed to vote on the physical work that will affect their homes directly. On top of that, PRs are asked to pay the full unsubsidised price.

The increased cost borne by PRs is unlikely to be recouped from a higher resale price, as citizens do not have to pay for it and so can sell their flats at a lower price. A PR owner's only option is to sell his flat before the lift upgrading is completed.

Give PRs a voice on changes to their homes.

Sin Kuan Cheung

↡ Advertisement

Well, its the gahmen's way of telling PRs to become citizen, don't use Sg to their full advantage then balik kampong to retire.

Well, its the gahmen's way of telling PRs to become citizen, don't use Sg to their full advantage then balik kampong to retire.

Yes, actually the gahmen is already quite lenient by giving considerable amount of equal rights and entitlements to PRs. This guy should go to another country and compare. Only recently did the PRs get additional burden like only one ballot for P1 (now citizens get two), additional charges for education and health care.

I think someone will write in to answer him... go become citizen lah (and your kids have to serve NS [lipsrsealed] ) for the right to decide lift upgrading! Let this PR decide whether worth it or not!!

Yes, actually the gahmen is already quite lenient by giving considerable amount of equal rights and entitlements to PRs. This guy should go to another country and compare. Only recently did the PRs get additional burden like only one ballot for P1 (now citizens get two), additional charges for education and health care.

I think someone will write in to answer him... go become citizen lah (and your kids have to serve NS [lipsrsealed] ) for the right to decide lift upgrading! Let this PR decide whether worth it or not!!

Yup dont complain & just become a citizen. :D

Hello Sin Kuan Cheung,

Not happy here, then go back to your own hometown.

[thumbsdown][thumbsdown][thumbsdown]

Yeah...first come here act blurr....then want pay rise....then what to teach spore what to do......now tell garment what to do....WTF......

Get the fark out of here.....

The gov will have their hands full entertaining these vocal PR.

Who demands everything except NS for themselves!

I am so happy to see such 'uprising' of their voices to be heard and want fair play!!

he got a point though. i wont feel good too if i cant vote and asked to pay full price. PR or citizen a like.

its fair for them to vote since they pay the same price as any other residents in the block.

They regard their flats as their homes and contribute to nation building through the taxes they pay.

Errr ... contribute to nation building???

Not all PRs are contributing to nation building lah.

Do they and will they sink roots here?

For most of them, the answer is an obvious NO.

Will they allow their sons to do NS?

Again, for most of them, the answer is NO ... they will pack up and scoot off, just before their sons turn 18.

Say that again ... PRs contribute to nation building? [shakehead]

Most have the mentality to accumulate wealth here and either go back home to retire with strong SGD, or 'upgrade' their families to 1st world countries like USA, Europe, or Australia, by finding jobs there with their Singapore 'experience'.

Let's face it lah - most come here just to make more money, for themselves, much more than they can earn back home ... wherever that may be, e.g. Malaysia, India, China, Phillipines etc.

he got a point though. i wont feel good too if i cant vote and asked to pay full price. PR or citizen a like.

its fair for them to vote since they pay the same price as any other residents in the block.

Usually policy is made for a reason. My guess is that stats may show that PR tend NOT to vote for lift upgrading because they are lesser subsidized.

More importantly, their profile is the younger, economically productive, ie not old.

Which means that the old people, Singaporeans who have no choice but to die in Singapore, who need lift landing the most, will have their votes drowned out by the younger self-serving PRs who can climb stairs and/or does not care or know their tenants likely do not need lifts.

In summary, there may be time when it was necessary, but NOW, PRs should NOT be allowed to buy HDB.

If like this say, it will have never ending argument lo. For example how come a single citizen can only buy resale flat and cannot buy new flat like others, and he/she also pay the same amount of tax every year like the rest?! [:p]

↡ Advertisement