Jump to content
Orangepineapple

Persistent Lower Back Pain

Recommended Posts

5th Gear
40 minutes ago, Sporkypiggy said:

@Etnt For Herniated Disc (cervical or lumbar), most public hospital tend to perform fusion surgery. Whereby they will removed the herniated disc, place a bone graft between the 2 vertebral segments to fuse them together. The surgeon will say that this is a minimally invasive surgery as the cut is about 5 to 6 cm.

Lumbar Fusion: https://www.spine-health.com/treatment/spinal-fusion/lumbar-spinal-fusion-surgery

Cervical Fusion: https://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/cervical-spine-surgery

Some private Ortho doctor may perform a more minimally invasive or they claim key hole surgery to remove part of the herniated disc instead of removing the entire disc as in the Fusion technique.

The surgeon will usually run through the sequence with you in detail and have you sign the agreement form before proceeding with the surgery.

Do take note that it will take at least a year for the vertebral to fully fused together. So its a long journey to full recovery. The doctor will give you guidances on your daily activities.

Mine was replaced by DIAM spacers, not fusion. Ortho said when it recur when I'm older, then fusion.

↡ Advertisement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
6 hours ago, Sporkypiggy said:

@Atrecord So what kind of key-hole surgery did you do?  Can elaborate a little bit more?

What i see from the discharge summary, states:

Lumbar spinal stenosis. Lateral recess stenosis
Foraminotomy and microdiscectomy 

Do these sound obvious to you? 

In any case, what the doc told me was there a metal tube will be inserted to dilate the space (i think the nerve canal?), and then another tube will be inserted to remove the fragments of the damaged discs that are compressing on the nerve.

After the surgery, i was given a container containing the fragments. Actually my brother told me he went for a similar op 2 years ago, and the fragments i have, are maybe 6-8 times more than his... 😓

Initially i was worried about the doc having to cut off parts of the discs to remove the parts compressing on the nerve, but he clarified that there's no need to cut, as the damaged discs are already broken, and he will merely 'pick up the pieces' during the surgery.

  • Praise 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
6 hours ago, Etnt said:

I think sometimes surgeon will also see actual condition in OT bah. Before going into OT, I was told keyhole; after woke up, open back.

Actually, from the photo my wife took, the wound is about a finger long... my sis-in-law commented that keyhole also such a big wound...

Now that you say this, i also dunno was it still keyhole, or open back (is that what's normal surgery is called?)... 

😓

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
5 hours ago, Sporkypiggy said:

@Etnt For Herniated Disc (cervical or lumbar), most public hospital tend to perform fusion surgery. Whereby they will removed the herniated disc, place a bone graft between the 2 vertebral segments to fuse them together. The surgeon will say that this is a minimally invasive surgery as the cut is about 5 to 6 cm.

Lumbar Fusion: https://www.spine-health.com/treatment/spinal-fusion/lumbar-spinal-fusion-surgery

Cervical Fusion: https://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/cervical-spine-surgery

Some private Ortho doctor may perform a more minimally invasive or they claim key hole surgery to remove part of the herniated disc instead of removing the entire disc as in the Fusion technique.

The surgeon will usually run through the sequence with you in detail and have you sign the agreement form before proceeding with the surgery.

Do take note that it will take at least a year for the vertebral to fully fused together. So its a long journey to full recovery. The doctor will give you guidances on your daily activities.

The doc said my bones are still aligned and it's the discs that are damaged. Was told that in some cases where the bones have degenerated too, might need to put screws in place to keep the bones in fixed position... that's no fusion, right?

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
4 hours ago, Windwaver said:

Nobody upper back pain?

where's considered upper back? i know someone who had a surgery for Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy... this one is near the neck...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
10 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

Actually, from the photo my wife took, the wound is about a finger long... my sis-in-law commented that keyhole also such a big wound...

Now that you say this, i also dunno was it still keyhole, or open back (is that what's normal surgery is called?)... 

😓

They didn't clarify the size of the key. Anyway have a swift recovery! 

Screenshot_20210421_231831.thumb.jpg.c67839542ab1dac689f619c943f083fb.jpg

  • Haha! 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supercharged
36 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

where's considered upper back? i know someone who had a surgery for Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy... this one is near the neck...

Thoracic Spine, neck is common.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5th Gear
8 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

They didn't clarify the size of the key. Anyway have a swift recovery! 

Screenshot_20210421_231831.thumb.jpg.c67839542ab1dac689f619c943f083fb.jpg

lol. my key about this size.

  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5th Gear

@Atrecord Not too sure if your condition is due to lumbar herniated disc. Bulging disc or ruptured disc.

The herniated disc may compress your nerve and even spinal cord. Nerve compression may generally lead to pain. And it may send shooting pain down from your back to your leg. And worst case, case numbness and tingling sensation down to your toes.

I am not familiar with the DIAM spinal spacer, it  may seems to be explained in the below video. If so, then your case is not fusion.

 

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
12 hours ago, Windwaver said:

Thoracic Spine, neck is common.

oh, then nope. only heard lower back where it's always the lumbar that's affected. you have upper back pain?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
13 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

They didn't clarify the size of the key. Anyway have a swift recovery! 

Screenshot_20210421_231831.thumb.jpg.c67839542ab1dac689f619c943f083fb.jpg

another important lesson learnt. Must ask specific dimensions instead 😂

Thanks...

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
2 hours ago, Sporkypiggy said:

@Atrecord Not too sure if your condition is due to lumbar herniated disc. Bulging disc or ruptured disc.

The herniated disc may compress your nerve and even spinal cord. Nerve compression may generally lead to pain. And it may send shooting pain down from your back to your leg. And worst case, case numbness and tingling sensation down to your toes.

I am not familiar with the DIAM spinal spacer, it  may seems to be explained in the below video. If so, then your case is not fusion.

 

wow, informative... i'll ask my doc when i go for follow-up whether mine is which one... i had the impression that it's cos the 2 discs somehow got out of alignment and parts of them were damaged, so the fragments were compressing on the nerve.

but he did say my case quite straightforward, and everything went well. 

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supercharged
2 hours ago, Sporkypiggy said:

@Atrecord Not too sure if your condition is due to lumbar herniated disc. Bulging disc or ruptured disc.

The herniated disc may compress your nerve and even spinal cord. Nerve compression may generally lead to pain. And it may send shooting pain down from your back to your leg. And worst case, case numbness and tingling sensation down to your toes.

I am not familiar with the DIAM spinal spacer, it  may seems to be explained in the below video. If so, then your case is not fusion.

This kind straight forward, MRI sure can pick up and it's only a matter of surgery or not.

People who don't have a clear diagnosis but is suffering are worse off.

 

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5th Gear (edited)
Spoiler

This is the wound, not say very big but not small

9D07E063-A843-4E8E-9F8F-8FDBCA4526F7.thumb.jpeg.3a3927bb2c29f08b7e3bfc7b8f8fa209.jpeg

and I dunno why they like to return to owner the removed parts. These are the discs they took out

EDA1A786-FF6D-4FDE-A048-D13DF915D7E9.thumb.jpeg.07f9d1e05be508d05b08156bf2c5012b.jpeg

Edited by Etnt
put in spoiler tag, some might find it offensive
  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Etnt said:
  Reveal hidden contents

This is the wound, not say very big but not small

9D07E063-A843-4E8E-9F8F-8FDBCA4526F7.thumb.jpeg.3a3927bb2c29f08b7e3bfc7b8f8fa209.jpeg

and I dunno why they like to return to owner the removed parts. These are the discs they took out

EDA1A786-FF6D-4FDE-A048-D13DF915D7E9.thumb.jpeg.07f9d1e05be508d05b08156bf2c5012b.jpeg

Looks like 5 to 6cm. And very ouch. 

Return you is to tell you got work done. Not just cut open and sew back up. 😁 Something like workshop change the wipe blades for you. My workshop always return me the old ones as if got value. 

  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5th Gear

@Atrecord Did some read up. Below is what I extracted. For sharing purpose: 

An interspinous spacer is a device that is inserted into the back of the spine, between the spinous processes. The device is used to treat spinal stenosis. Spinal stenosis occurs when the passageways of the spine are narrow and compress the nerves of the spine.

Lumbar spinal stenosis (LSS) is a medical condition in which the spinal canal narrows and compresses the nerves and blood vessels at the level of the lumbar vertebrae.

I think your doctor would be the best person to give you the true diagnosis.

For bulging disc and slipped disc,  X-ray may give you a hint. But MRI can confirm it. The cost of X-ray (<$100) vs MRI (>$1000) is quite big. Usually doctor would recommend physio and give you pain killers if you have back ache. But if you start to have constant numbing and tingling sensation (24x7), then it is a cause of concern. If a patient leave it untreated, it may get worst. And if a patient waited too long, finally cannot take it, and decided to go for operation. The nerve may be compressed for too long and may take longer time to heal itself. Or in worst case, will not heal at all, meaning the numbness and tingling sensation may not totally go away after operation.

My advice to those who have neck and lumbar pain. Don't wait too long to go see a doctor. After getting the diagnosis, then you can decide what is your best approach.  Spend 5-10min every morning and evening to do some light stretching maybe your best medicine.

 

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
On 4/22/2021 at 1:29 PM, Etnt said:
  Hide contents

This is the wound, not say very big but not small

9D07E063-A843-4E8E-9F8F-8FDBCA4526F7.thumb.jpeg.3a3927bb2c29f08b7e3bfc7b8f8fa209.jpeg

and I dunno why they like to return to owner the removed parts. These are the discs they took out

EDA1A786-FF6D-4FDE-A048-D13DF915D7E9.thumb.jpeg.07f9d1e05be508d05b08156bf2c5012b.jpeg

i think my wound a bit shorter than yours, but more 'rugged' i am told.

And i think my 'removed disc fragments' got more than yours... 😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×