Persistent Lower Back Pain

Orangepineapple

Hi, jus to share some experience

My elder sis who was experiencing back pain after sitting on chair for long hours

Brought her to Chiro, initially she was reluctant to try, after some persuasion, she tried

after 1st try, she feel 90% cure, 2nd try,

totally cure, lucky for her, dunnid any more pain killer

To me, is heng sway, maybe she met the right doctor..........

↡ Advertisement

My elder sis who was experiencing back pain after sitting on chair for long hours

Brought her to Chiro, initially she was reluctant to try, after some persuasion, she tried

can share which doc did she visit and how much per session? thank you

I have double slipped disc at c4/c5 and c5/6 8 years ago. The pinched nerve was very painful and affected my quality of life. So I did the disc replacement surgery to replace the 2 discs. The whole surgery took 3 hours at Raffles Hospital, and the pain was gone right after the surgery. Recovery took 1 week and I was able to jog after that.

I highly recommend disc replacement for those who want a better quality of life. Therapy, chiro and pain killers do not solve the problem long term.

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 3

Chiros ain't doctors.

• Praise 1

I have double slipped disc at c4/c5 and c5/6 8 years ago. The pinched nerve was very painful and affected my quality of life. So I did the disc replacement surgery to replace the 2 discs. The whole surgery took 3 hours at Raffles Hospital, and the pain was gone right after the surgery. Recovery took 1 week and I was able to jog after that.

I highly recommend disc replacement for those who want a better quality of life. Therapy, chiro and pain killers do not solve the problem long term.

I shudder to even think of going under the blade .... mine holding well so far as it’s L2, L3, L4 been doing the physio or Pilates like excercises but still Kenna the sprain or nerve impingement like twice a year ...... can be the most innocent of bends and still get it , I’m glad you recovered well and fast too
  • Praise 1

Just to share my experience

I have had perennial acute LWB for several years now.

Gone to hospital for x-rays that show some bone degeneration. remedy: painkillers

Went to TCM for some of the episodes. remedy: acupuncture and massage. pain goes away faster than painkillers

went to Chiro: Remedy: spinal alignment which does help improve my posture but did not get to the root cause of the problem

went to the physiotherapist at the chiro clinic: Finally found out the cause of the LWB. overworked piriformis muscles due to slouching position at work. physiotherapist recommended stretching the piriformis and strengthening the core. totally cured my LWB

So if you have LWB, n it's not some slipped discs, try seeking help from a physiotherapist. could be due to some weak muscles.

here's the stretch that helped me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKp2f5-jRbI

• Praise 6

Gone to hospital for x-rays that show some bone degeneration. remedy: painkillers

Went to TCM for some of the episodes. remedy: acupuncture and massage. pain goes away faster than painkillers

went to Chiro: Remedy: spinal alignment which does help improve my posture but did not get to the root cause of the problem

went to the physiotherapist at the chiro clinic: Finally found out the cause of the LWB. overworked piriformis muscles due to slouching position at work. physiotherapist recommended stretching the piriformis and strengthening the core. totally cured my LWB

So if you have LWB, n it's not some slipped discs, try seeking help from a physiotherapist. could be due to some weak muscles.

Any recommended physiotherapist? 

Sorry, what does lwb stand for?

Lbp is quite common for lower/lumbar back pain among medical professionals.

lower back pain, I think most people just need to stretch if you're sitting down for too long.

try hanging off a chin-up bar. [:p]

Hi dsman, just tried your method and it seems working well for me after my first stretch. Will try on regular basis. I have the same issue as yours except that I got minor slip disc due to bone degeneration. Also been going round seeking treatment with TCM and Chiro until recently went for facet joint injection. Pain relieve was immediate but still hv to going thru physio treatment.

Thank you and do share if you have other stretches exercise which is useful.

I was taught 2 methods by an ortho doctor.

1) lying on your back, bend and pull your left knee up to your chest and hold for 20 seconds while keeping your right leg straight. Do the same for the other leg. Repeat for each leg 3 times.

2) lying face down, push your upper body up with both arms and hold for 20 secs facing forward. Your back for legs to head should be an incline. After that relax and lie down for 20 secs. Repeat 3 times. The pose is something like a yoga pose.

That’s the best I can describe and these 2 exercises does help for me.

• Praise 1

Sorry, what does lwb stand for?

Lbp is quite common for lower/lumbar back pain among medical professionals.

And I tot it means Long Wheel Base
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

A lot of guys I see had the same issue I had before which is the pelvic bone tilted forward. The reason is because of the tummy being fat. The posture becomes off and the strain goes to the lower back muscles as this causes the lwb muscles to tighten. I know cos I had this issue before.

The solution is to lose the tummy fat first. Diet, excercise or if intermittent fasting works for you, lose that tummy fat. Eat one meal less a day and stay away from white sugar or food & beverages containing white sugar. Drink plain water. No beer, no soft drinks, no alcohol.

After that do stretching by sitting down on the floor with your legs stretched forward. Bend forward slowly and feel the lower back stretch. Do it daily for 2 weeks. This should get your lowerback muscle to relax and allow the pelvic bone to straighten back to its original position.

Train your core muscles (abs and lower back) by doing planking. Dont do crunches or sit ups cos these excercises actually will cause more injury to your spinal cord. I know ppl will scoff at planking and think it is ineffective but it is a non intrusive excercise that will not injure your back. It works for me. The dieting and excercising is all about discipline.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Honestly... if u are going to spend the time planking. Just do some pushups la. There's no difference as long as u keep your back straight.

If you want to do planking. Do the dynamic ones where u go from forearms to your palms and back. Now thats a damn tough exercise...

Just tried this stretch. Quite interesting. But if u can't lie down just do the regular sitted gluteal stretch you learn in saf stretching is good enough.

I did not really have lower back pain. More like leg pain but is related to spine.

I also did not chiro, just physio. The MRI was 1k plus.

Which part of the leg and did you get it cured or lessen the pain?..... my mrs also have leg pain at the upper shin but side....when she go jogging wif me. 

Which part of the leg and did you get it cured or lessen the pain?..... my mrs also have leg pain at the upper shin but side....when she go jogging wif me. 

I have pain at the upper hip/buttocks area. Also numbness on the big toe. I think the spine is very complicated so the cure/treatment is different. There are a LOT of causes for leg pain.... 

The pain is better but I don't think the condition improved. The big toe numbness seem to be coming on more often recently since I started jogging 4km. 

The Pain seems less though. 

Honestly... if u are going to spend the time planking. Just do some pushups la. There's no difference as long as u keep your back straight.

If you want to do planking. Do the dynamic ones where u go from forearms to your palms and back. Now thats a damn tough exercise...

Just tried this stretch. Quite interesting. But if u can't lie down just do the regular sitted gluteal stretch you learn in saf stretching is good enough.

If you want to put push ups into the picture you will need to do reps and you need to take breaks. To me it becomes too disruptive to what you are trying to do in the first place. When ppl arms grow tired they will just stop altogether. The focus is core, not upper body training.

What I'm suggesting is beginner phase after losing the tummy fat. Of course there are more advanced training on the core but I do not know how old ppl are out there and dont know what pre-exisiting conditions they have. Older folks like me will take longer to recover. That's why I dont recommend doing push ups.

Planking is a simple excercise that does not require one or two days rest inbetween to recover and you can do it daily for as long as you can.

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement