LKY confirmed: Immigration caused stress and tension

Wishcumstrue

Try here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...nal)_per_capita

Use IMF/World Bank, CIA factbook as sources.

As for the timeline, you can always view the trend which includes the time dimension over decades. (1970 to 2009)

As you can see, the results and outcomes are not affected by when the data was taken. Singapore's GDP per capita has been below those countries for many years

http://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?d...hl=en&dl=en

The above link works. You have to right click/copy & paste the URL.

Edited by CKP
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

without him, will we have a successful country? learn to count your blessings

a good general w/o men cannot win a war...

y u think so highly of him? i do't understand. don't be so brainwashed by our national education programmes.

who knows, if one can turn back the clock, SG may be more prosper now under other's leadership.

Neutral Newbie

without him, will we have a successful country? learn to count your blessings

doube post

Edited by Jkcs

y u think so highly of him? i do't understand. don't be so brainwashed by our national education programmes.

who knows, if one can turn back the clock, SG may be more prosper now under other's leadership.

Tick for tact, a good men w/o good general cannot win even a battle. -_-

both are equally important. [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

Tick for tact, a good men w/o good general cannot win even a battle. -_-

a = one

men = many man

your sentence not correct. a good man definitely cannot win a war even with brilliant general. that is why we need men to do the job [:p]

edit to correct my own error

Edited by Jkcs

I have nothing against foreign workers. As they're here to do the jobs that Singaporeans [including me] shun. Jobs like construction worker, bus driver, taxi driver, waiter/ waitresses, clerk, admin workers, domestic helpers, toilet cleaners.....

But what pisses me off is that schools these days are offering scholarships to foreign students, be it from neighbouring ASEAN countries or China, so that they can boost the results of PSLE and O-Level in neighbourhood schools [Yes! Foreign competitions starts from Primary School now, even kids are not excused from this]!!! It's pretty obvious all the principal cares is about the image and result of the school, rather than giving a good education to Singaporean students. =(

I mean, with regards to the foreign workers, if we were in their shoes, earning $60/month back home, and labourous jobs here in Singapore can give me a salary of $400-$1800/month, it's a great opportunity for me, and I will definitely come to Singapore and work too.

But I can't stand that 'Singaporean's are not good enough' mentality of the bosses and principals we have in our society. And they also open the doors to replace managers, PMET's in general with foreigners.

That irks me.

What irks this nation most is when they are at someone's territory.....they can act like big farks....esp PRC's, demanding others not to cook curry, and their other lousy spoilt brat behaviour.....if they go some other places and act like this...sure kena buried in cement alive !

What irks this nation most is when they are at someone's territory.....they can act like big farks....esp PRC's, demanding others not to cook curry, and their other lousy spoilt brat behaviour.....if they go some other places and act like this...sure kena buried in cement alive !

Cannot be helped, as the govt here "support" those FTs! [:p]

It's crazy that the principal or the team set up by schools here, actually go China and head-hunt good performing students overseas, cover them for 'foreign student' school fees, some even cover their accomodation in hostels, and some largi better, get monthly allowances.

All these just for the image of the school.

=(

It's crazy that the principal or the team set up by schools here, actually go China and head-hunt good performing students overseas, cover them for 'foreign student' school fees, some even cover their accomodation in hostels, and some largi better, get monthly allowances.

All these just for the image of the school.

=(

This is the effect of the ranking system and precisely why it should never be implemented in the first place.

There is no need for ranking at all.

The main and sole purpose of schooling is to provide education and building up the character to our next generation, not competing to see who is in the top spot.

MOE should just concentrate on how to provide quality education to the students without fuss.

HDB shoud just continue building affordable quality flats to the people. (LHL's rally say build more flats but never mention about affordability)

a = one

men = many man

your sentence not correct. a good man definitely cannot win a war even with brilliant general. that is why we need men to do the job [:p]

edit to correct my own error

opps [:p] thanks for the correction [laugh]

This is the effect of the ranking system and precisely why it should never be implemented in the first place.

There is no need for ranking at all.

The main and sole purpose of schooling is to provide education and building up the character to our next generation, not competing to see who is in the top spot.

MOE should just concentrate on how to provide quality education to the students without fuss.

HDB shoud just continue building affordable quality flats to the people. (LHL's rally say build more flats but never mention about affordability)

Precisely. It has come to the point where we can't live out our lives anymore......

Precisely. It has come to the point where we can't live out our lives anymore......

hey wait...aren't you that school boy that we talked to before warning you about the opened floodgate for foreigners?

didn't you argue that competition is a good thing for singapore?

sorry if i have mistaken you for another school boy.

I have nothing against foreign workers. As they're here to do the jobs that Singaporeans [including me] shun. Jobs like construction worker, bus driver, taxi driver, waiter/ waitresses, clerk, admin workers, domestic helpers, toilet cleaners.....

But what pisses me off is that schools these days are offering scholarships to foreign students, be it from neighbouring ASEAN countries or China, so that they can boost the results of PSLE and O-Level in neighbourhood schools [Yes! Foreign competitions starts from Primary School now, even kids are not excused from this]!!! It's pretty obvious all the principal cares is about the image and result of the school, rather than giving a good education to Singaporean students. =(

I mean, with regards to the foreign workers, if we were in their shoes, earning $60/month back home, and labourous jobs here in Singapore can give me a salary of $400-$1800/month, it's a great opportunity for me, and I will definitely come to Singapore and work too.

But I can't stand that 'Singaporean's are not good enough' mentality of the bosses and principals we have in our society. And they also open the doors to replace managers, PMET's in general with foreigners.

That irks me.

Thankfully, only Singaporeans can apply to become a taxi driver at this moment. It is still a decent income for a hardworking cabbie, who can expect to earn 2-3k per month.

But i am not too sure if in the near future, we will have PRCs, Indians and Pinoys driving turbo-ed Sonatas to race with us Singaporeans on the roads! :ph34r:

hey wait...aren't you that school boy that we talked to before warning you about the opened floodgate for foreigners?

didn't you argue that competition is a good thing for singapore?

sorry if i have mistaken you for another school boy.

huh? No.....

I've always hated these competitions from other countries, especially if they're here just to boost the ranks of the school.....

huh? No.....

I've always hated these competitions from other countries, especially if they're here just to boost the ranks of the school.....

ok sorry my mistake.

your nick looks familiar to the school boy who supported open competition in the workplace.

sorry to hear that young people are getting the squeeze in the schools too.

it's not going to be any easier when you graduate either.

My guess is assuming tan jee say is correct then your interpretation is over analysing the difference colors within the 1.1% producitivty increase from 2000-2009.

You guessed wrong; I don't have to look at any charts to see at first glance that;

a) labour inputs accounted for 2.4% of annual GDP growth from 2000 - 2009;

b) of this 2.4% (out of 4.9%) contribution of labour inputs towards annual GDP growth, labour quality is accounting for a greater proportion relative to total hours worked;

Table 1 explains clearly; like I've previously explained a 1% labour productivity growth does not translates into an equivalent 1% growth in GDP. What you need to look at is the decomposition of the GDP growth figures into the corresponding inputs; namely capital investment, labour productivity and total factor productivity. You cannot ignore these figures just because they are inconvenient to your argument.

My impression is that you are quoting statistics and figures without understanding what they really mean.

When you said:

Basically GDP can be increased by either adding more workers, or making the existing employed workers more productive. Higher education (or labour quality) is acutally contributing to both increases in productivity and labour force size depending on how they are employed.

it becomes clear to me that you do not understand the basic model used to measure GDP. The neoclassical model (most commonly used by both academics and government officials) of the macro-economy compromises of 3 main inputs:

a) labour;

b) capital investment;

c) technological change (measured by TFP);

You are completely ignoring and not taking into account the contribution of capital investment and TFP when looking at GDP growth.

Like I said, you cannot simply subtract percentages here and there to arrive at a conclusion, because:

a) these percentages measure different metrics;

b) these percentages have a different base level/value;

And finally, it is not really an argument to say that if Tan Jee Say was wrong, he would have been attacked by the PAP relentlessly; and because this didn't happened, he must be right.

Seriously? Let's be objective please. I've previously said that I hold Tan Jee Say in great respect and admiration, but I am not going to accept anything and everything he said at face value and throw all objectivity and analysis out of the window. The vast majority of Singaporeans who believed in LKY and did exactly this, is the main reason why Singapore is where we are currently at.

Democracy is never known to be a system for efficient decision making. In fact, it is known to slow things down to offer a chance for the alternative choice to debate it out.

The only good thing about democracy is that it offers a peaceful (non-violent) way to change a government of the day.

But I do concur that msm hero worship had done more harm than good to our reasoning ability.

Edited by Jpcc
↡ Advertisement