Huge changes in last 6 years

Scion

Turbocharged

more than 6 years ago, the Singapore identity was still very strong

it has since eroded at speed i couldn't have imagined

there was a time i felt proud of being a Singaporean, with our relatively low crime rates and high standard of living...

now i feel nothing

there was a time i got emotional listening and singing to the tune of "count on me singapore", "stand up for singapore", "home", etc...

the songs are still nice to hear, but somehow the meanings are different to me now

there was a time i got excited watching the national day parade on tv...

these 3 years i have skipped watching it

there was a time i felt a sense of responsibility when i was recalled to serve in-camp trainings...

now i felt silly

the success of IRs, record GDP, AAA rating in Asia... all these don't instill pride in me anymore... all i'm looking for is that familiar sense of belonging here

the usage of new media like facebook, twitter, youtube to spread unflavourable news doesn't help, cos they can only make me feel angry or disgusted...

the PRC joker saga, the curry saga, the pinoy and mr gay saga... when will all these end?

↡ Advertisement

Seriously, due to In-camp training, I missed a lot of opportunities for oversea trainings & trips. Got one time, I was suppose to go Eastern Europe for business trip but can't go due to NS, & a collegue went instead.

later he posted pictures with hot Eastern Europeans co-workers (apparently, hot babes are a dime a dozen there) drinking in pubs, & skiing in the mountains in the weekend, while I am in green, smelly & dirty, somewhere in a forest in Singapore.

Thats not the worst part, the worst part is I have to do extra work so I can get my things done before NS, then when I return, a truckload of work awaits me. Then the very tulan remarks from collegue ( I am the only one in my department that have to do NS, amazing isn't it) that its ok ( the workload), as I have just come back from Holidays, & recharged!

2 days later I am going for my NS again, sianz, & more work waiting for me after that.

Turbocharged

if you still can write this thread mean you still got known medicine to cure... [:p]

which medicine can help to find back the sense of belonging?

i'm now like an old man trapped in a younger body, looking for whatever things that can be nostalgic and bring back memories of a good old Singapore

last time i only complained about the hot weather...

now i complain about everything

jialat!

[laugh]

HDB gone from really affordable to even more AFFORDABLE

hmm.... so its all about property price :blink:

like that also can [laugh]

If this is true.. MBT single handledly pull down his party. :D

Edited by Joseph22

i'm now like an old man trapped in a younger body, looking for whatever things that can be nostalgic and bring back memories of a good old Singapore

jialat!

[laugh]

somehow i in same category as TS.. [:p]

"Think about the Singapore you want in 20yrs time. Do you want it to be something special or just like any other cities in Asia or the world".......

=(

Guess we're doomed.....

more than 6 years ago, the Singapore identity was still very strong

it has since eroded at speed i couldn't have imagined

there was a time i felt proud of being a Singaporean, with our relatively low crime rates and high standard of living...

now i feel nothing

there was a time i got emotional listening and singing to the tune of "count on me singapore", "stand up for singapore", "home", etc...

the songs are still nice to hear, but somehow the meanings are different to me now

there was a time i got excited watching the national day parade on tv...

these 3 years i have skipped watching it

there was a time i felt a sense of responsibility when i was recalled to serve in-camp trainings...

now i felt silly

the success of IRs, record GDP, AAA rating in Asia... all these don't instill pride in me anymore... all i'm looking for is that familiar sense of belonging here

the usage of new media like facebook, twitter, youtube to spread unflavourable news doesn't help, cos they can only make me feel angry or disgusted...

the PRC joker saga, the curry saga, the pinoy and mr gay saga... when will all these end?

same boat bro.

and i have friends working all over the world telling me they feel the same when they come back to this place.

it used to be my country but now it's just a hotel.

i'm doing what my friends are all doing - working hard and planning for retirement somewhere else.

jialat!

[laugh]

Luckily you not a Young Woman trapped in an Old Man body...

Turbocharged

remember the Huang Na case in 2004?

a case of a poor PRC child kena murdered by a Malaysian...

Singaporeans were compassionate then and were generous to donate 300k to Huang Na's mother

not to say we are not compassionate and generous now, but i feel the xenophobia here has risen to an extent and the society has divided so far apart that, to be frank, i can't see this happening again

where has Singapore disappeared to? <_<

There is a Saying : A Home is where your Heart is.

If you have a loving family, good neighbours, faithful friends and sincere collegaues.

To achieve this dream, you all got to start becoming one 1st.

Turbocharged

Just take it that Spore is becoming more colourful with interesting stories to read these days.

Most importantly, don't let external events distract you and bring you down.

same boat bro.

and i have friends working all over the world telling me they feel the same when they come back to this place.

it used to be my country but now it's just a hotel.

i'm doing what my friends are all doing - working hard and planning for retirement somewhere else.

Bro why so troublesome... Just go n marry a FT girl and u will get the chance to migrate with her when both of u have enough of Singapore loh... [laugh]

↡ Advertisement