Shell Vpower at 98 price every weekend till 25th sept

SGCMmadman

Already travelled 300km since I last pump on sat and there is still more than 1/2 a tank left. Wonder if this fuel will give me better cost per km than the 95. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Hi 'Stiener', I used to use Shell 95 for my car. But when 98 have been priced about 5 cents a litre more than 95 and 50L full tank of 98 costs $2.50 more than 95, I decided to try out 98. Since then, I have been using 98 as I could feel that 98 delivers significantly more power and achieving slightly more mileage than using 95 and yet my foot on the throttle is lighter.

Although $2.50 could get about 1.3L more of 95, it lacks the power and ultimately uses more fuel.

Owning a car in Singapore is already so expensive and factoring other costs such as road tax, insurance, maintenance, replacing of parts, etc. Comparing the total costs of these against 98 which are about 5 cents a litre more than 95, the 5 cents is really insignificance.

Let me give another scenario for comparison. Assuming if your car fuel tank is 50L and you pump Shell 98 4 times a month, it costs $10.00 ($2.50 x 4) more a month than using Shell 95. I do not smoke and don't know the price of a pack of cigarette. It might be close to about $10.00 a pack of so. If a casual smoker smokes a pack a week, it will costs about $40 a month for cigarette. Comparing spending about $40 a month on cigarettes with $10.00 a month more on 98 than 95 fuel.

I personally do not mind paying $2.50 more per full tank of 98 as I feel "shiok" when I could feel that the engine is more powerful and responsive.

Now whenever Shell V-Power is priced the same as 98, I use V-Power. Although both deliver almost the same mileage per full tank but I could feel that V-Power delivers more power than 98.

So 'Stiener', the decision is yours to decide.

↡ Advertisement

Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I will be able to do a calculation for the cost per Km. The problem is I can enjoy 18% discount on esso while I only get 10% off for shell. The discount does make a lot of difference.

Will give the 98 a try also and see how many miles each ltr gives me.