Audi/V.W. engine oil comsumption.

ER-3682

How was your friend driving his ride, part of the engine oil lost in turbo charged rides goes to lubricating the turbo bearings. It is thus normal for turbo charged cars to 'drink' engine oil. To achieve 1 litre for 1500km needs lots of short distance driving.

↡ Advertisement

just to share.

i have a friend who drives a bmw 523.

his engine drinks EO like nobody's business.

he sent back to PM to check, and they said its NORMAL.

long story short, he sent lawyer's letter over and they changed a new engine for him.

just to share.

i have a friend who drives a bmw 523.

his engine drinks EO like nobody's business.

he sent back to PM to check, and they said its NORMAL.

long story short, he sent lawyer's letter over and they changed a new engine for him.

Typical Singapore workshop style.

When you bring your car that done servcing from other workshops, they will tell this area got issue, that are is spoil, this part that part need to change, although you may not even notice anything unsual.

When you done your service at their workshop, & come back when you notice something is not right. They will said, its normal, cause need to 'run in' & all sorts of excuses come out.

The words of these people must be taken with a pinch of salt.

This type of people who bad mouth others to boost their image are generally very weak in thier character and will not go far in their choosen career. Avoid 100% if you come across such shop operators.

So serious!

Maybe it has also to do with Sinagpore's Tropical weather, that the engine bay is much hotter.

No matter how hard & long I drive, the hood is always cold, but I don't think I driven over 8 deg since I got the car. But the water (or is it the oild) temp is quite high (biut consistant) at 90 degree though, on my A3.

Nothing to do with tropical weather. There are many other places with summer hotter than Singapore. Even in freezing winter, the car getting overheated is much higher than in Singapore.

Think most likely it's the severe stop-start traffic conditions which the engine is not suited for or it's a serious engineering problem.

The engine is also always cooler and smoother when driving long distance than in city traffic or short distance.

Edited by Kangadrool

Neutral Newbie

This is definitely not normal. I had the same issue with my Audi. Got to top up at least 1l of engine oil every 2km. Audi service centre say it's normal but in actual fact it's not. Bang table and they admitted got the car in and overhaul engine. Btw the car is less than 2 yr old. Had very bad experience with Audi service department, had been visiting service centre every 3-4 wks.... Had since got rid of the car...

Top up 1L engine oil every 2km quite serious...u must have carried lots of bottles of engine oil with u since you would have to top up many times before even reaching your destination!

This is definitely not normal. I had the same issue with my Audi. Got to top up at least 1l of engine oil every 2km. Audi service centre say it's normal but in actual fact it's not. Bang table and they admitted got the car in and overhaul engine. Btw the car is less than 2 yr old. Had very bad experience with Audi service department, had been visiting service centre every 3-4 wks.... Had since got rid of the car...

Top up 1L engine oil every 2km quite serious...u must have carried lots of bottles of engine oil with u since you would have to top up many times before even reaching your destination!

Is it 2K km or just 2KM :huh:

hmm.. wonder this is relevance...

My friend's legacy is modded with low compression and EO is consumed when he wacked. However, there's no symptom when checked. He has to change the gasket every year... the tuning is done too aggressive....and couldnt take the pressure...

hmm.. wonder this is relevance...

My friend's legacy is modded with low compression and EO is consumed when he wacked. However, there's no symptom when checked. He has to change the gasket every year... the tuning is done too aggressive....and couldnt take the pressure...

Have found out that different engine oil will affect the consumption of EO...

Also if you drive like a madman - whack redline often it will increase the rate of EO consumption..i think

Have found out that different engine oil will affect the consumption of EO...

Also if you drive like a madman - whack redline often it will increase the rate of EO consumption..i think

i doubt so.. most of the NA B&B car dont.... maybe its NA...

This is a known problem for some VW, BMW, Audis... But they don't seem to know the solution. Go google & you realise that there can be many reasons for oil loss without leaks.

Edited by Karu

some of the TC'ed engines from vw and audi needs to top up 1L of EO between the servicing interval of 15k km. Based on owners manual, topping up 1L of EO every 4K Km is considered normal. If you have to top up 1L every 1K km or 2k km, go feedback to your SA (service advisor) and get him to do a piston compression test. Once replaced, problem should be gone.

Other than drinking EO, you have to be more precise what problems u have with ur audi, instead of just saying u have to visit PA every few wks. If not, how do we know what u mean when u say the brand is unreliable? if the reason why u have to go back PA every 3-4 wks is because of the EO drinking prob, that should be considered 1x problem. And not "many" probs.

Edited by Jenius81

So far no problem with mine. close to 10,000km and still no warning light. check dip stick and level is ok.

I have the habit to check my vehicle's engine oil dipstick and all the fluids every other week (notwithstanding that mine was a new car) and everything is normal.

Now my mileage is closing to more than 40k km in mileage after 15 months.

i doubt so.. most of the NA B&B car dont.... maybe its NA...

Im talking about conti cars....

↡ Advertisement