Throttle Cable Problem...

Weiiix

Neutral Newbie

Got some problem with my throttle cable and accelerator this afternoon.

The accelerator pedal was very hard, feels like its stucked. cant be press at all...

after a few tries, it went down and the RPM goes up and stop there without coming back down.

I immediately off my engine, found that the Throttle Body is stuck in Open Position instead of Close Position even after i release the accelerator.

I had to manually turn back the Throttle Body.

The cable seems very stiff, doesnt pull smoothly as before. dont know if its going to snap soon or what.

when i was driving back home in the morning there was no problem at all.

it only happens when i start my car a few hours later.

Anyone knows any good workshop near hougang that can fix the problem.

Thank you very much....

↡ Advertisement

If it's just the cable problem, just spray WD40 on the cable and that'll do. I've seen ppl get stuck cable while driving on the PG track who stopped the car after putting into neutral gear, and apply WD40 and went on with more laps on the track.

Got some problem with my throttle cable and accelerator this afternoon.

The accelerator pedal was very hard, feels like its stucked. cant be press at all...

after a few tries, it went down and the RPM goes up and stop there without coming back down.

I immediately off my engine, found that the Throttle Body is stuck in Open Position instead of Close Position even after i release the accelerator.

I had to manually turn back the Throttle Body.

The cable seems very stiff, doesnt pull smoothly as before. dont know if its going to snap soon or what.

when i was driving back home in the morning there was no problem at all.

it only happens when i start my car a few hours later.

Anyone knows any good workshop near hougang that can fix the problem.

Thank you very much....

Neutral Newbie

I spray on the throttle body and cable near the screw area .... but still stuck...

hopefully not tat ex to change or service.

Better bring to your WS to verify what's the problem.

May i know is the throttle cable universal for other rides?

Can i just service the cable?

May i know is the throttle cable universal for other rides?

Can i just service the cable?

Whats the make of your car? It's a common replacement part. If you can take out the cable and pump grease/oil into the cable it might help but it's a temp fix. The best is to take out the cable and see if the cable's stuck. If the cable looks ok, then its the throttle body spring but I can tell you most of the time it's the cable.

No it's not universal as they are of different lengths.

It's difficult to inject grease into the wire cable. You can use aerosol lub can to do the work but you will need a lubricating device as show.

post-272-1314017071_thumb.jpg

post-272-1314017079_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeobh

Neutral Newbie

Whats the make of your car? It's a common replacement part. If you can take out the cable and pump grease/oil into the cable it might help but it's a temp fix. The best is to take out the cable and see if the cable's stuck. If the cable looks ok, then its the throttle body spring but I can tell you most of the time it's the cable.

No it's not universal as they are of different lengths.

You may wish to check with your spare part shop or WS as some throttle cables comes with the throttle link (the turning head) so it is right to say they are not universal though you can fabricate them if you have the know-how.

I don't really encourage fixing the throttle cable though some may disagree. My logic is that it is stuck usually because of a reason and typically it's due to corrosion or it is stuck due to something else. If you can't find the item causing it to be stuck (most common being floor board, stray wires or the carpeting) no amount of grease will help and if it is corrosion, the rust will kick in again sooner or later. The last thing you want is for the car to kena uncontrolled acceleration at high speed as there is no guarantee that you wouldn't kena brake fade before you stop.