Taxi Drivers to vote for Dr Tony Tan!

Kaixing

Neutral Newbie

Union of Taxi drivers will be voting for Dr Tony Tan as he has pledge to raise their driving age till 75.

Personally, I see the move more as a Hazards on the road, imagine these old uncles driving 60 km/h on the expressway! Bad move if I rushing to work.

Taxi drivers raise concerns with Dr Tony Tan

In a meeting with leaders of the National Taxi Association today, Dr Tony Tan said that some issues shared included raising the age limit for taxi drivers, and concerns about their well-being when they grow old as they are self-employed.

Other challenges they faced included having to deal with unruly passengers and often being portrayed negatively by the media.

He said that if elected, he hopes to raise the issue of raising the age limit for taxi drivers, to 75 years old, to the Government.

On the 75 per cent endorsement he has received from the unions, Dr Tan said that it was a tremendous boost for him.

He added some had concerns about jobs and the need to keep people employed during an economic crisis.

↡ Advertisement

After which, they will claim that since taxi drivers can drive to 75...

we should raise the minimum age for CPF to 75 as well...

hm... nice try TT...

just wished we had a more charismatic choice as opposition president...

at least everyone will be on the same page...

it appears now that votes for oppostition will be split between TCB & TJS...

TCB- a good well spoken man with good manners.... but seriously too soft to stand up against the Cabinet...

TJS - a passionate man, but like what everyone is saying using the GE style to handle PE doesnt help him get more votes...

my humble choice will be TJS... not because he is good...

because all my relatives will align our votes to prove ppl power to the ruling party...

Yah, i will first raise the age limits for taxi drivers to 75, then followed up by the increase in taxi rentals, reduced subsidies on diesel, increased drivers' insurance due to old age in which taxi drivers will have to subsidise partially.

Wah, sibeh ho. Implement 1 thing can kill so many birds already. Smart move. [laugh]

On the 75 per cent endorsement he has received from the unions, Dr Tan said that it was a tremendous boost for him

Vote for TT and see our reserve door open up for tem thunder without restriction... Vote for TT and more foreigners will come in as Sillypore need ALL DIFFERENT KINDS OF FTs to survive.... Vote for TT and all will be treated fairly when comes to NS... oops.. did his son come into the news when he got deferment for 12 yrs?.... Vote for TT for Singapore to go through the COMING RECESSION?! :o

After which, they will claim that since taxi drivers can drive to 75...

we should raise the minimum age for CPF to 75 as well...

hm... nice try TT...

just wished we had a more charismatic choice as opposition president...

at least everyone will be on the same page...

it appears now that votes for oppostition will be split between TCB & TJS...

TCB- a good well spoken man with good manners.... but seriously too soft to stand up against the Cabinet...

TJS - a passionate man, but like what everyone is saying using the GE style to handle PE doesnt help him get more votes...

my humble choice will be TJS... not because he is good...

because all my relatives will align our votes to prove ppl power to the ruling party...

TCB hahahah... He just announced that he will PLAY BY THE BOOK!... What I can see... is that he is another PRATA man.... He is not serious in representing the pple ...

Edited by Apvman

i'm not sure it is good news for the consumers as for safety point of view.

Most pple reach > 70 years old, their eyes sight are not so good esp. at night.

I am not against them to drive till 75 years old, but definitely need strict medical checkup to ensure their healths are ok to fit to drive.

Taxi drivers may not support him fully, but the Taxi companies will.

There'll be less taxis sitting at the taxi compaines compound waiting for rental. More demand for taxis will make the operators buy more, effectively pushing up COE prices.

And a taxi driver driving up to 75, will he be able to endure the 12 hr shift mentally and physically? More accidents, push up insurance premiums again.

As a president, did he think this far out? Taxi drivers are unlike him at 70s sit in aircon room with lots of "advisors" giving him opinions and he just need to sign on the dotted line.

TCB hahahah... He just announced that he will PLAY BY THE BOOK!... What I can see... is that he is another PRATA man.... He is not serious in representing the pple ...

You must quote him in full. He is serious about representing the pple('s action party).

Union of Taxi drivers will be voting for Dr Tony Tan as he has pledge to raise their driving age till 75.

I thought TT say candidates need to know the powers of the elected president?

Run the post which is available. Not the post which they hope to have?

President can suka suka raise driving age?

Please quote your source.

Personally, I see the move more as a Hazards on the road, imagine these old uncles driving 60 km/h on the expressway! Bad move if I rushing to work.

you will grow old someday and some young ppl will say the same to to you...

i'm not sure it is good news for the consumers as for safety point of view.

Most pple reach > 70 years old, their eyes sight are not so good esp. at night.

I am not against them to drive till 75 years old, but definitely need strict medical checkup to ensure their healths are ok to fit to drive.

TOTALLY AGREED with YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [wave][thumbsup]

Ask TT to drive a taxi for a full 12 hour shift at his age then talk.

He's being driven around by his driver in his Mercedes, of course anything also can say.

Can this consider as vote buying?

I would prefer to allow taxi drivers to be able to afford to retire and do something that they enjoy, eg playing chess, taichi etc, as we see in China, the old folks doing in the gardens. But looking at all the money stuck in CPF and long housing loans, probably not so easy to retire early.

Neutral Newbie

Wouldn't it be better off to let them retire in peace and enjoy the progress of Singapore? Work till 75! I can never imagine...

The new president must make taxi companies do more for their drivers, like taking care of the medical benefits and retirement plans.

Can this consider as vote buying?

I would prefer to allow taxi drivers to be able to afford to retire and do something that they enjoy, eg playing chess, taichi etc, as we see in China, the old folks doing in the gardens. But looking at all the money stuck in CPF and long housing loans, probably not so easy to retire early.

its kinda in our sense.... but certainly not in TT sense....

the aim should be to retire early..... but instead of fixing the root cause of the problem but ask us to work longer...

its a solution.. but not a long term one..... whats next after 75?

78?

Wouldn't it be better off to let them retire in peace and enjoy the progress of Singapore? Work till 75! I can never imagine...

The new president must make taxi companies do more for their drivers, like taking care of the medical benefits and retirement plans.

What to do, there is still a old man at 80+ still refused to retire and another at 70+ still trying to via for the presidential seat.

They'll use the example of these 2 figures to push their point indirectly.