TCB Flip Prata

Cerano

Source: http://www.facebook.com/notes/alps-tan/as-...155903631158054

As the wind blows: and Tan Cheng Bock with it

Spurred by discussions online, I looked up old news clippings and recent articles on Dr Tan Cheng Bock. What I found troubled me.

In the Straits Times (30 July 1987), Dr Tan Cheng Bock spoke in support of the ISA detention of "Marxists". I quote him: "The threats for which preventive detention was introduced continue to exist."

319971_155905764491174_100002152550730_306731_5773952_n.jpg

Dr Tan Cheng Bock also suggested that the ISA does not stifle political opposition, with the rhetorical questions:

"Has this action or previous actions under the ISA ever discouraged dissent or political activities? Have political rallies been banned, political forums been banned? Has anyone who attended the meeting been arrested? Have publications of political parties been banned? Have people who spoke up or who asked questions in any forum or dialogue sessions been dealt with?"

- "Most think Govt acted rightly, says Cheng Bock" (ST 30 July 1987)

306841_155905571157860_100002152550730_306729_6104275_n.jpg

Dr Tan Cheng Bock also had no qualms about supporting the detention of a close friend's relative: "Dr Tan Cheng Bock of Ayer Rajah, also had a connection with the detainees. A relative of one of them was a close friend, he said."

- "The worries and concerns before the ISA decision" (ST 30 July 1987)

318986_155905471157870_100002152550730_306728_5439474_n.jpg

Yet in an interview published by The Online Citizen on 22 June 2011, Dr Tan Cheng Bock changed his tune with: "I really feel they are innocent."

For nearly 30 years, Dr Tan Cheng Bock was a PAP stalwart. Yet there is a YouTube video of him giving a speech admitting that during GE 2011, he helped train SDP's Mr Tan Jee Say.

Dr Tan Cheng Bock sat on the board of Jurong General Hospital, so he should have been aware of the decision to change its name. Yet he only resigned some time after the announced name change, just before the Presidential Election.

I cannot support somebody who will support detention of his close friend's relative and then change his tune in time for a presidential campaign.

I cannot trust a man who changes sides on politics and corporate governance when he sees a chance to move into the Istana.

Some say Dr Tan Cheng Bock is a man of belief, but all I see is a man who believes in doing the convenient and self-serving.

Edited by Cerano
↡ Advertisement

no one convincing u to vote for who. this is just to help you make a more informed decision especially with some background info

My reading of the marxist conspiracy is that the govt detected a wisp of smoke which lead them to suspect fire. They lashed out with a "blunt instrument" (TT's words) and ended up squishing quite a few innocent people in the process.

It is really hard to tell the rights and wrongs unless we have a freedom of information act so all who are interested can look through the records when they are declassified.

Not trying to support MIW, but academically analyzing an event 20+ years on is one thing. When you are in the hot seat back then and having to make decisions based on limited info and time constraints, it is a whole different feeling.

no la just newspaper excerpts

for the whole report??

cause i realise after reading a lot of TR posting, its important to read the whole news instead of just what they post. cause TR like to take one line and ignore the rest which distorted a lot of meaning.

for the whole report??

cause i realise after reading a lot of TR posting, its important to read the whole news instead of just what they post. cause TR like to take one line and ignore the rest which distorted a lot of meaning.

err just short excerpts of quoted speech. Since its quoted speech you cant exactly misquote it.

watermarked from the NLB and SPH

My reading of the marxist conspiracy is that the govt detected a wisp of smoke which lead them to suspect fire. They lashed out with a "blunt instrument" (TT's words) and ended up squishing quite a few innocent people in the process.

It is really hard to tell the rights and wrongs unless we have a freedom of information act so all who are interested can look through the records when they are declassified.

Not trying to support MIW, but academically analyzing an event 20+ years on is one thing. When you are in the hot seat back then and having to make decisions based on limited info and time constraints, it is a whole different feeling.

Correct but you must note that we are not questioning their judgement or decision but his view which he expressed then. His view was questionable

That time communist(cold war) was the enemy instead of Osama.. And then our gahment also was more gan chiong than compare to now..

Edited by Ender

err just short excerpts of quoted speech. Since its quoted speech you cant exactly misquote it.

watermarked from the NLB and SPH

ah.. okay... then no point seeing the photo [laugh]

Correct but you must note that we are not questioning their judgement or decision but his view which he expressed then. His view was questionable

Bro, are people allowed to change their views? If they felt that way 20+ years ago, can they stand corrected now?

At the beginning of PE, I thought TCB might be the best bet. Can I change my mind and vote TJS instead? Or should I stick to my guns [:p]

That time communist(cold war) was the enemy instead of Osama.. And then our gahment also was more gan chiong than compare to now..

if we factor in what happen during that time... Communim is picking up speed very fast accross the world. so paraniod is a normal reaction then...

Bro, are people allowed to change their views? If they felt that way 20+ years ago, can they stand corrected now?

At the beginning of PE, I thought TCB might be the best bet. Can I change my mind and vote TJS instead? Or should I stick to my guns [:p]

bro not the changing la.

its like for example you have an accident... on site you will tell the truth but after you go home have a hot shower... you will then tell different stories one to your benefit. this is human nature bro

↡ Advertisement