Qatar plane declares emergency. PRC pilot refuse to give way

Ahtong

LINK

SHANGHAI : A Chinese pilot's refusal to give up his landing slot to a passenger plane that issued a distress call to say it was running out of fuel almost caused a disaster, state media reported Thursday.

China's privately-owned Juneyao Airlines confirmed that one of its pilots refused to give way when a Qatar Airways plane contacted air traffic controllers at Hongqiao airport, asking permission to land immediately.

The pilot of the Qatar plane said it had just five minutes' worth of fuel left after it was diverted from Shanghai, the Global Times newspaper reported, adding that a disastrous accident was only narrowly averted.

The Qatar plane was travelling from Doha to Shanghai when it was ordered to divert due to a thunderstorm on August 13.

Air traffic controllers in Hongqiao, about 45 kilometres (30 miles) from Shanghai, ordered the Juneyao pilot to circle the airport and allow the Qatar plane to land first, but the pilot refused.

The Global Times said the Juneyao pilot claimed he had been waiting "a long time" and needed to land "right now", citing comments posted online.

Shanghai-based Juneyao Airlines, which was founded in 2005, said the pilot and crew had been suspended pending the outcome of the investigation, but that the "rumours on the Internet are far from the truth".

"It remains doubtful whether the fuel on the Qatar Airways plane was really fewer than five minutes," the paper quoted a spokeswoman as saying.

"And why didn't it inform the tower controller earlier?"

At one point, the two aircraft came perilously close for there to be a risk of collision, according to an aviation forum quoted in The Global Times.

"A Mayday is rare and means the plane is in an extreme emergency and may even face the danger of a crash," the paper quoted an unnamed senior air traffic control official as saying.

China's civil aviation authority said in a statement it was investigating the incident and those responsible would be "severely punished".

The Qatar plane landed safely after the incident.

- AFP/ir

↡ Advertisement

And i thought not giving way was a sgrean driver traits.. But PRC beat us in this, by not giving way for emergency..

Turbocharged

And i thought not giving way was a sgrean driver traits.. But PRC beat us in this, by not giving way for emergency..

Plane somemore.. [laugh] [laugh]

title sounds misleading. sounds like PRC was the pilot of Qatar airways. [laugh]

but when i took jetstar recently, the co-pilot was a PRC. dunno wat he was trying to say during the announcements..... :wacko: got me abit worried whether control tower oso blur or not. [sweatdrop]

If that Qatar really did crash, it will be broadcast "seconds from disasters".

Then we will really know who is telling the truth.

Then i think we wait a few year before it can be film, as investigation will take a few months to years. Sometime even without conclusion....

They seem to outdo each other with every passing day. This is absolutely shambolic if its true, and that pilot would have flown his last plane, but then again its china.....he might get an award instead.

usually international flight got priority in landing cos they usually got less fuel after a long flight.

may be the PRC pilots got pressured by the airline to save fuel, that's why they were forced to cut queue?

Some of these PRC people are really crazy. I have my fair share of experience. I can accept (but not approve) them being kiasu & cut queue. Afterall its their country, & its part of their culture, but to not give way when lives are at stake!

While I can't say I am surprise, but its still pretty scary the type that people that flies planes are like that.

Should have scrambled the air force. I wonder if he will give way to a pair of sidewinders. [:p]

how to dodge sidewinders? lol