Pirelli Cinturato P7

Jupiterman

8 hours ago, Columbian78 said:

I changed to a set of new P7 Cint Run flat yesterday.

Size 225/50/17, $205, Leong seng.

Made in Romania. This was only printed on the inner side wall of the tyre which would not be visible once installed on car.

This is my first time trying run flat. Only 1 obvious reason why I want it. Concerns with harshness but recent sharings had been that run flats had improved and P7 seems to be fine. So go ahead.

I am happy with the initial impression. The dreaded initial shock of noise or harsh ride were not there at all. Will not comment much until new tyre symptoms wear off.

These are the tyres I had on this car (sylphy sss): CPC2 -> GR100 -> PS4 -> F1A3 -> F1A3 -> P7cintRunFlat

Can see I am a F1A3 fan. Almost going to slip on F1A5 but last minute decided to try run flats which F1A5 don't have.

One thing I had already observed is that run flat tyres do not seem to be sensitive to the air pressure. I mean I don't observe any difference in ride quality when I reduced the tyre pressure from around 280kpa (shop pumped) to 230/210 (car spec). Usually for my previous normal tyres, the effect will be obvious. Maybe run flat has strong sidewalls so the air pressure has less impact on the side wall strength.

If this goes well, my future tyres will all be run flats.

I just changed to P7 RoF 3 weeks ago and have to say it perform better than my last set of GY Efficientgrip RoF. The fact that my P7 is of thinner profile (225/45R18) than the GY I had (225/50R17) tell point to me that P7 is a better set in term of noise and comfort. 

sELBEig.jpg

BTW, the metal support in GY and P7 are different to begin with, and that probably contributed to the different character. 

GY has a larger metal support at the base of the tyre which provide very good puncture protection, but lesser support if the tyr is totally flat out. 

efficientgrip-suv-hr-3-flat-highres-5973

While P7 support is at the side wall only, offering lesser puncture protection but better run flat support. 

run-flat-slide2-4505480346118.png

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8