Driving fast on the German Autobahn

Ithunk

tell us what is useful about that video then

to me its 3 mins worth of becareful when you speed

do you think we don't already know that?

Apparently there are many that don't, or need to be reminded, judging by the amount of high speed related accidents here.

↡ Advertisement

i've had the luck to have an mtm-tuned 700hp RS6 at my disposal in Switzerland for a month...

naturally i took it to Germany one fine weekend.

some notes :

- only 20% of the autobahn has no speed limits, the rest is regulated at max 130 kmh

- the recommended max speed for the autobahn is 130 kmh, even where there's no limit.

- doing 300 kmh on a public road, fairly crowded Sunday morning is pretty stressful. (i let a Swiss friend try first, at least he had more experience on the Autobahn than i did - he sometimes goes across the border for cheap groceries), you automatically get sweaty palms

- it's just as scary for the front passenger with the road zooming by at 83 m/s, who also will get sweaty palms.

- the video is right, even when u slow down to 100kmh suddenly everything becomes very 'slow'. this can be dangerous if you're following too closely the vehicle in front for e.g.

- lots of people will get pissed off if you do 300kmh, be prepared for lotsa hi beams - firstly, it's quite dangerous for the other cars going at 150 or so. secondly, you're probably some rich swiss guy from across the border.

notes on the RS6

- even with faster cars prodding you at 200kmh, u can easily pull away.

- FC for normal driving is 5.5km/l, on the autobahn you can actually see the fuel needle move downwards.

Not sure about this statement:

"only 20% of the autobahn has no speed limits, the rest is regulated at max 130 kmh"

I can neither confirm the 20%--no speed limit is still the standard rule, not the exception--and 130 km/h is an untypical speed limit on the Autobahn.  Typically, if there is a speed limit, it's lower: 120, 100, 80, even 60, if there is construction.  There are some places where there is 130, but few.

130 is the recommended speed, true, and if you get into an accident going faster, you are automatically partly liable.  But as long as you're not, you're fine.

I can proudly say I have driven on autobahn.

But I only drove about 170km/h max, 150kmh on average with a Ford SUV.

Had a female colleague as passenger and she said she didn’t feel unsafe even though I drove fast because all the cars are also fast, so my speed seemed slow relatively.

I can proudly say I have driven on autobahn.

But I only drove about 170km/h max, 150kmh on average with a Ford SUV.

Had a female colleague as passenger and she said she didn’t feel unsafe even though I drove fast because all the cars are also fast, so my speed seemed slow relatively.

I can only claim to have been driven around haha.

On a recent trip to Munich, was driven around to few places by vendor in a VW pasenger van. The ang moh driver was agressive at certain stretches to bring the speed up to 170km/hr which the car surprisingly still very stable. Most of the city roads have speed limits of 80km/hr or lower. But beside being able to drive at higher speed, nothing unusual lah the roads, though first impression is generally very well maintained unlike up North.

(edited)

9zykw2.jpg

This is my record on the autobahn on a rental Audi A6 3.0TDI :) .With a decent conti car, you can do 200km/h comfortably as most cars on slower lanes are doing 160+. At 240 I found it challenging to sustain because of the attention required and that the car felt like a plane taking off the runway lol.

But beware of speeding on normal roads in Germany. The speed cams there are unmarked and only 3km/h tolerance is given. The grace is that the fines start at a low 15 euro fine.

Edited by Ceecookie

9zykw2.jpg

This is my record on the autobahn on a rental Audi A6 3.0TDI :) .With a decent conti car, you can do 200km/h comfortably as most cars on slower lanes are doing 160+. At 240 I found it challenging to sustain because of the attention required and that the car felt like a plane taking off the runway lol.

cos you were driving an oil burner, that’s why.

Instead of a Mondeo, Avis gave me a C-Class so basically the trip was Cologne-Konstanz-Frankfurt and so a lot of de-restricted Autobahn......great.

Could easily sit over 200kph, at least in the South but further north got more Polish trucks and white vans. Can confirm.....German brakes REALLY good, took 20-30min to shake the smell (brakes lah, not underwear though they did need a change)

How fast can drive on the high-speed road in German?

How fast your car can go?

Unrestricted means just that, only issue now is traffic. Can still clear 200kph but question mark over for how long.

↡ Advertisement