WikiLeaks - SG chapter

Grindcore888

Is Yacoob planning to run road after stepping down?

Yaacob Ibrahim - Minister of Environment and Water Resources

--------------------------------------------- ---------------

Ha ha so much for confidence in SG.

I'm not surprised.. Politicians and ministers also want to make quick bucks and accumulate wealth and secure future for their families.

In this modern world of greed, even America is ruled by wall street bankers rather than politicians..

It's a rat race.

That makes for very interesting, if unsurprising reading. There doesn't seem to be anything inside that we don't all tAlk about in private.

Children Americns ? Where is the loyalty ?

OMG.... a 'veteran' minister who has chosen to make his children to adopt foreign citizenship!! ........... that's a good example to follow :o

Edited by KARTer

hmm...this was created in Oct 2004:

The biggest challenge to the development of the

opposition in Singapore is the PAP's highly successful track

record. It has consistently delivered peace, stability, and

rapid economic growth for four decades, while avoiding

corruption and mainly avoiding cronyism. It maintains close

contacts with all levels of Singapore society and seeks

feedback -- on its terms -- on how government policies are

working.

7 years on, in 2011, I think the opposition is not facing such a big challenge after all.

Neutral Newbie

That makes for very interesting, if unsurprising reading. There doesn't seem to be anything inside that we don't all tAlk about in private.

Exactly. It seems that the diplomats just come to the forums and report what they read here.

Neutral Newbie

congratulations

your eyes very sharp

really must hands up for you [nod]

Is Yacoob planning to run road after stepping down?

Yaacob Ibrahim - Minister of Environment and Water Resources

--------------------------------------------- ---------------

this is a very interesting pattern, many minority ministers in singapore history did not marry their own race.

yaacob: married an american.

abdullah tarmugi (speaker): married a chinese.

tharman: married a japanese.

rajaratnam: married a hungarian.

dhanabalan: married a chinese.

balaji: married a chinese.

vivian (though a half chinese himself): married a chinese.

Edited by Alheych

Seems like this subject could be his greatest concern.

Other topics no one has come up to refute.

AsiaOne

Monday, Sep 05, 2011

Mr Lee Kuan Yew said the WikiLeaks cable claiming he had 'characterized' Islam as a 'venomous religion', is false.

Mr Lee said this in a press statement released today.

This follows the release by Wikileaks of a cable by the US Embassy in Singapore reporting on the visit of Senator Hillary Clinton to Singapore in July 2005.

He added that he looked up the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' (MFA) filenote of the meeting.

"Nowhere does it record me describing Islam as 'venomous', nor did I say anything which could have given that impression."

The statement, which was issued on Mr Lee's behalf by press secretary Yeong Yoon Ying, stated that Mr Lee did talk about extremist terrorists like the Jemaah Islamiyah group, and the jihadist preachers who brainwashed them.

He said that they are implacable in wanting to put down all who do not agree with them.

He also said that their Islam is a perverted version, which the overwhelming majority of Muslims in Singapore do not subscribe to.

Mr Lee said he had also pointed out that Singapore Muslim leaders are rational, and that the ultimate solution to extremist terrorism was to give moderate Muslims the courage to stand up and speak out against radicals who have hijacked Islam to recruit volunteers for their violent ends.

Whether he did say or not, only God and he himself know. But the damage has been done and the person who is troubled by this will be none other than LHL.

Edited by Civic2000

Seems like this subject could be his greatest concern.

Other topics no one has come up to refute.

AsiaOne

Monday, Sep 05, 2011

Mr Lee Kuan Yew said the WikiLeaks cable claiming he had 'characterized' Islam as a 'venomous religion', is false.

Mr Lee said this in a press statement released today.

This follows the release by Wikileaks of a cable by the US Embassy in Singapore reporting on the visit of Senator Hillary Clinton to Singapore in July 2005.

He added that he looked up the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' (MFA) filenote of the meeting.

"Nowhere does it record me describing Islam as 'venomous', nor did I say anything which could have given that impression."

The statement, which was issued on Mr Lee's behalf by press secretary Yeong Yoon Ying, stated that Mr Lee did talk about extremist terrorists like the Jemaah Islamiyah group, and the jihadist preachers who brainwashed them.

He said that they are implacable in wanting to put down all who do not agree with them.

He also said that their Islam is a perverted version, which the overwhelming majority of Muslims in Singapore do not subscribe to.

Mr Lee said he had also pointed out that Singapore Muslim leaders are rational, and that the ultimate solution to extremist terrorism was to give moderate Muslims the courage to stand up and speak out against radicals who have hijacked Islam to recruit volunteers for their violent ends.

1. There is many a slip twixt tongue and lip...

a) What he thought and what he said may be two different things

b) the meaning he took may be different from the meaning the other party took

c) accepting that there is no confusion over shades of meaning, whether or not he said it should be taken in relation to what else has been said on the same subject matter - given what he has said in the past, is it reasonable and believable that he would say this or not?

d) The cable could be a malicious lie (edited before uploading)

e) The original writer might be a liar

Edited by Darryn

OMG.... a 'veteran' minister who has chosen to make his children to adopt foreign citizenship!! ........... that's a good example to follow :o

That's an interesting charcaterisation, and phrasing it this way I fear is not very complimentary towards you.

Upon birth, the children would automatically have been given US citizenship (as per all children with at least one US Citizen parent), afther that, choosing which citizenship to maintain is a matter of family dynamics - it is entirely possible that his wife "insisted" or that there were other factors play.

I would think it's not a case of him "making them choose" to adopt. this sounds like he proactively secured for them - and forced them into abandoning Singapore. I am sure the dynamic is very different to that.

Although I must admit, that his own children are not even citizens is something that I find "interesting" to say the least, and it is something that I feel does colour a lot of what he does and decisions that he makes - not least of which on NS and education issues.

I read what the cables said on the 2006 elections - andd they were pretty on the Money as regards WP building reputation and being able to mount a credible challenge at the next election.

It would be fascinating to see what they have to say about the 2011 elections

↡ Advertisement