Singapore Still Seeking Spontatenity Billions $ Later

CKP

thats y when TT talked abt entrepreneurship, i was like WTF man here people's mentality is see u no up when u try to start own biz, all rather take safe route n carry ballz in corporate. We will never reach china/USA entrepreneur level

thats y when TT talked abt entrepreneurship, i was like WTF man here people's mentality is see u no up when u try to start own biz, all rather take safe route n carry ballz in corporate. We will never reach china/USA entrepreneur level

The answer is in the cable: "LIP SERVICE" as mentioned by MP Inderjit Singh.

To move beyond talking and lip service, the substantive move will be to divest the GLCs said Singh.

[laugh]

Here, entrepreneurship or more simply, starting your own business, is viewed as a "last resort" career option, taken up by those who have nothing to lose, i.e. with low educational qualifications, cannot get a good public/private sector job... so go into business lah...

If a person has good paper qualifications, and doors open to good public/private sector jobs, I think such person will not dare to take the risk to be entrepreneur.

Edited by Sosaria

The answer is in the cable: "LIP SERVICE" as mentioned by MP Inderjit Singh.

To move beyond talking and lip service, the substantive move will be to divest the GLCs said Singh.

[laugh]

Wow! He was quoted. And very frank words. Now why didn't he say it out loud in the first place!! I think this is MP's main duty, to point out where we have gone wrong and suggest corrections.

I think there will be a lot of red faces around if this cable was publicised... although the govt's stand here is to remain tight-lipped and refuse to comment on any wikileak cable.

Even on the US diplomatic side, there will be some red faces and awkwardness after this... [laugh] They are highly critical of singapore, and some of their cables are purposely written quite condescendingly, like they're trying to poke fun at our expense!

I agree on the entrepreneurial part, but as far as educational system goes... the US should spend more time studying their own. China and India also built their success on this type of so-called "stifling" educational system that emphasizes exams - but they have been successful?? Why?

Wow! He was quoted. And very frank words. Now why didn't he say it out loud in the first place!! I think this is MP's main duty, to point out where we have gone wrong and suggest corrections.

I think there will be a lot of red faces around if this cable was publicised... although the govt's stand here is to remain tight-lipped and refuse to comment on any wikileak cable.

Even on the US diplomatic side, there will be some red faces and awkwardness after this... [laugh] They are highly critical of singapore, and some of their cables are purposely written quite condescendingly, like they're trying to poke fun at our expense!

I agree on the entrepreneurial part, but as far as educational system goes... the US should spend more time studying their own. China and India also built their success on this type of so-called "stifling" educational system that emphasizes exams - but they have been successful?? Why?

"the US should spend more time studying their own. China and India also built their success on this type of so-called "stifling" educational system that emphasizes exams - but they have been successful?? Why?"

The short answer is:

1. Singapore ranks high while US ranks poorly in fundamental education at the primary/secondary/high school level.

2. The US tertiary education and Ivy leagues are un matched in the world; NUS/NTU are nowhere near. They have best and brightest to do basic reasearch.

3. The US has a strong and long history entrepreunership spirit, in spite of its weak fundamental education rankings:

a. Because Americans see wealth is created from the entrepneurship class and have a general distaste for government and the public sector. In contrast, Singapore's risk averse culture and habits of constraint due to the perceived strength of government, means there is a weak entrepreuner class. In other words, everything depends on government: government says X, they X, government says Y they Y. If something X goes wrong, government must fix; if something Y does not happen, government must answer why. In addition, no questioning because it is painted as "confrontational" or "throwing stones".

b. Good fundamental education (primary to high school) is not an important factor to determine a high or low risk taking culture. Education is over rated.

[cool]

Edited by CKP

"the US should spend more time studying their own. China and India also built their success on this type of so-called "stifling" educational system that emphasizes exams - but they have been successful?? Why?"

Good fundamental education (primary to high school) is not an important factor to determine a high or low risk taking culture. Education is over rated.

[cool]

I think good education is important. Key thing is what is taught. Entrepreneurship can be foster during high school education.

Schools can arrange carnival during the holidays, & have students groups each learning to make some stuff to sell, example, one group to make lemonade & ice cream, another donuts, & school provide them with stalls to sell their stuff at the carnival. Idea is not to make big bucks, but to expose them to starting & running a business.

I think US have something like that. There are kids that sell cookies door to door also.

In Germany, I saw during Summer, teenagers have setup fleas market style stall to sell old books & stuff at the city center area. If not, some parents will teach them some skills, like making cakes, or sign up for summer camp.

All while students here in Singapore mostly are given accessment to do during their holidays. Otherwise they hang around shopping malls or on their facebook.

Here, entrepreneurship or more simply, starting your own business, is viewed as a "last resort" career option, taken up by those who have nothing to lose, i.e. with low educational qualifications, cannot get a good public/private sector job... so go into business lah...

If a person has good paper qualifications, and doors open to good public/private sector jobs, I think such person will not dare to take the risk to be entrepreneur.

Ever told many years back during government tender interview: Your company got no one with professional qualifications? All your competitors got Professional Engineers among their Partners/Directors. You should not be doing business. That Engineer had to resign his job (he accepted competitor who delivered illegal/unauthorised installation), after accepting ours [:p] It seems we never fail to appoint/authorise incompetent to decision authority. [confused]

No wonder now our local Uni full of foreigner coz they only need 20% of the sporean to get degree, end up rest of the sporean need to get those expensive those non recognize private degree cert

Our multi-million dollars Ministers not entrepreneurs?

The short answer is:

1. Singapore ranks high while US ranks poorly in fundamental education at the primary/secondary/high school level.

2. The US tertiary education and Ivy leagues are un matched in the world; NUS/NTU are nowhere near. They have best and brightest to do basic reasearch.

3. The US has a strong and long history entrepreunership spirit, in spite of its weak fundamental education rankings:

a. Because Americans see wealth is created from the entrepneurship class and have a general distaste for government and the public sector. In contrast, Singapore's risk averse culture and habits of constraint due to the perceived strength of government, means there is a weak entrepreuner class. In other words, everything depends on government: government says X, they X, government says Y they Y. If something X goes wrong, government must fix; if something Y does not happen, government must answer why. In addition, no questioning because it is painted as "confrontational" or "throwing stones".

b. Good fundamental education (primary to high school) is not an important factor to determine a high or low risk taking culture. Education is over rated.

[cool]

I also believe literacy often assumed/mistaken for education [:p]

No wonder now our local Uni full of foreigner coz they only need 20% of the sporean to get degree, end up rest of the sporean need to get those expensive those non recognize private degree cert

I believe more fruitful to bring honour to the qualification we hold, than to be parasites to them (I only wear 300 degrees

glasses)[:p]

Having so many degree holders is not important. It is just an aspiration but has not much practical value if there are no jobs to go with it.

Just read an article (maybe ST, or Today, yesterday) about graduates, some Ivy League, in the USA, working waitressing and other dead-end jobs now in the poor economy. Wonder if they wished they had spent the time studying for a degree, doing something else?

And in somewhere else it was said that a high-school dropout, and a PhD, both jobless, will draw the same unemployment benefits! [laugh]

Edited by Sosaria

will u stop ur child from post high sch to walk the business path or u rather he get a 5K job at a bank

I like to believe most people got normal kids. It takes a variety of people to make a world. Not everyone suitable for anything/everything they want. Can check their Ba Zi?

↡ Advertisement