Volkswagen Sharan..

VellfireS

- Auto hold function

- Braking performance

- Sound system

- Auto folding wing mirror

- Gear shift at Low speed (closer gear ratio)

Autohold?

This comes standard, right? It works exactly the same as the one in the Passat.

And I find the release from the hold position to be less jerky than the Passat.

Oddly enough the rest of the items you mentioned...Sharan=Passat...so those deficiencies are not something I can identify with.

And for highway driving, based on the my OBD-linked HUD (aftermarket of course), I think 15km/L at 100kmh is possible....but I doubt I would ever drive that slowly on a Northern Excursion.

So, the question I have to ask you... do you regret the change  [;)]

↡ Advertisement

My humble review of the F/L Sharan 2.0TSI (7N24MY).

Background

Bought the Sharan to replace my 4 yrs 3 mths old Skoda Superb 2.0TSI because of the need for more space (for up to 7 pax) and also to make it easier for me to drive my wheelchair bound father around. The Skoda is simply superb (pun intended), and absolutely trouble-free till day I handed it over to the dealer, with 158,278.1Km on the clock. The only thing I replaced were batteries and brake pads (front & rear - after 149K Km!!). Oh yah, I did have a faulty headlight module replaced about 2 years into the ownership, and that was all. Average FC over the entire period of ownership is 12.82Km/L (yes, I have an excel spreadsheet to track each of my refill).

Almost like bro Atrecord, I visited quite a number of showrooms to check out multiple mid to full size MPV, before narrowing down to Odyssey & Sharan. Both have sliding doors (which is good for easy access to the 2nd and 3rd row and perfect for our tight carpark lot), proper sitting position for the 3rd row (Odyssey is slight lower than Sharan, but still comfortable even for longer drive), and very good boot space when all seats are up (my acid test is that it must be able to take the wheel chair + my barang barang, and still with some space for groceries). Odyssey is more elderly friendly with it very low floor, but the bench seat somewhat is not as comfortable as the 3 individual seat of the Sharan. I shall skip the rest of the details, as it is more of personal preference.

Size & Visibility

While Sharan does not look big on the outside, once you are in the cabin, it feel just like a large size SUV. I have owned the 1st gen Honda Stream & Honda Crossroad previously, and none of them can match the visibility offered on the Sharan. I find myself on the same level (sitting position) with X3, Q5, CR-V, etc. when driving pass them... But with a an extended dash (depth), 1.9m width and higher driving position, need some time to get use to handle such a "big" car. The built-in reverse cam is very useful for double checking if there are any obstacles behind the car when the reverse sensors beep continuously, but the resolution could be better.

Needless to say, with a boxy body and 7 individual seats, all my occupants are happy that they have their own sitting space. In fact, it is much easier for my dad to get into the 2nd row, as beside the larger opening offered by the sliding door, the seat is higher as well as closer to the edge of the vehicle, thus minimizing the movement needed. And my want for a full length sun roof is proven useful, as it make the interior feel more spacious (as if it is not big enough), and everyone now get a relatively good view of the surrounding when I am driving (I have the habit of pointing out to my passengers whenever I came across something interesting).

Driving Performance

The improved EA888 engine, with 25% more torque (now at 350Nm) than the pre-facelift Sharan and Superb, make this hefty car feel more like an estate, and can propel the car to 100Kmh in a time shorter than what claimed on the technical spreadsheet (my butt feel). You will only get to feel the extra horsepower (20ps to be precise, vs. the previous version) when you go above 100Kmh, but that is already considered very amazing, given that this car is >230Kg heavier than my previous ride, and yet I still can feel the difference just by driving it normally (I have not tried flooring the pedal ‘cos still running in). The engine loved to be driven more aggressively, and the sweet spot is around 100Kmh, if anyone is interested.

The gearbox does give me some mix feeling though. While it is generically the same DQ250 6 speed DSG deployed in the 2nd gen Superb, the gear ratio is somewhat tuned for better pulling power at low speed, and better FC for cruising on highway. This make the gear drag a little when I am moving around in the MSCP (it may at times be undecisive on 1st or 2nd gear, especially in the morning – cold start), and landing the car at it top gear with an engine speed of just 1,200rpm (when I apply feather weight on the pedal, while cruising in KPE with speed limit of 70 - 80Kmh). So ended up I find myself using the pedal shift more often, to get to the gear I want. But on the good side, it does help a little in FC, as it is barely 1,800rpm when reaches the cruising speed of 100Kmh (Superb hit 2,000rpm at 80Kmh).

Touching on FC, I can't help but to sing praise on the coasting function. It is activated automatically once you lift your feet off the gas pedal, allowing the car to just roll forward (like in neutral gear), without the need to maintain pressure on the gas pedal, thus saving more fuel. It can be activated once the speed hit above 20Kmh, meaning this fuel saving feature is applicable for city driving as well for most driver. A note to be taken, as the car roll forward, there is basically no engine braking when going down slope, but it can be overcome with a slight tap on the brake (and release it immediately), or by toggling the pedal shift button (downshift).

The brake is a little soft initially (during the 1st week after collection), but seems to improve after my mileage hit 1,500 Km. However, going with a heavier body, the additional kinetic force cannot be ignored totally, so I tend to apply the brake earlier (as compared to Superb) and that is the reasons why I said the Czech is better. As for auto hold function, on the contrast, I find the grip too hard and sensitive, so much so that it will start to grip the wheel when I engage into reverse gear, something that is never the case on Superb. And if I were to disable it (through the press of a button), there is no longer any hill start assist (to prevent roll back when on slope), which is evidence on such as heavy car. So that mean I have to play with buttons when on the move…

Unexpectedly, the body roll around corners are minimal, allowing it to take bends on slip road to highway at >60Kmh without any feeling of the car going to swirl off the path, which is very similar to a sedan. Suspension setup is on the soft side, allowing me to feel the bumps and unevenness along the journey. One thing that I am a little puzzle, the recommended tyre pressure is relatively high at 28 – 35 bar! which may be a contributing factors to the slightly harsh ride (on uneven road). Noise insulation is good, almost (but not yet) excellent, as after all it has much larger door panels than a typical sedan, and it will be a tough task for the rubber seal has to be able to close up every minor gaps along the surface.

Features & Comfort

Sunroof, yes, I love it! Beside those points I have highlighted earlier, it does help to cool down the car faster, with the use of the tilting function, which allow hot air to be purged out of the cabin, through the roughly 2 – 3 cm opening. I have tinted film installed on the roof as well, and so far I don’t feel much intrusion of heat when driving under direct sunlight. BTW, the 3 zone climate control (aircon) is a gem, so sensitive that I can even feel the difference of 0.5 deg. C in setting, and I have so far yet to activate the max fan speed even during hot weather (like last Sunday), which is partly because the vents are at the right place (and all are adjustable).

The multimedia interface on the infotainment system is very responsive and easy to use, way better than the older RNS510. But as I have not tested out all the features (mirror link and such), I will not be able to provide further feedback for now. The 8 speaker sound system is not up to my expectation, as the sound is somewhat muffled at all level. Probably I am too pampered by the 10 speaker sound system on the Superb (which do not even have a built-in woofer). To be fair, if I were to compare the system on the Sharan with a typical MPV or mid-size sedan, the bass and terrible level is pretty decent and maybe even above average.

The comfort sport seats on the front provide excellent all round support, and is just right for me in term of seat firmness. The electronically adjustable lumbar support is useful for people like me who have a bad back. Too bad it does not come with memory setting. The seat (height) on the 2nd and 3rd rows provide the occupant with a very good view of what is in front and the almost flat floor is a value add (I think can even squeeze 4 in the 2nd row if needed, with little discomfort). BTW, the middle seat feel better (to the butt) than the left and right most seat, which come with built-in child seat. My mum is very picky with regards to the decline angle of the rear seat, and so far she has yet to say anything…

There are many compartments here and there for me to keep my barang barang (there are even 2 hidden compartments under the floor on 2nd row for shoes). The one especially useful for me is on the dash, big enough for me to keep my keys, cards, sunglasses, etc. in it, with rooms to spare. The gloves box are better of built than Superb, and come with a lock, in case you need to secure it for some reasons. And the car come standard with a lot of nets for different application. Floor net to hold loose item in place, separation net to keep the boot area isolated from the passenger cabin, and another net (I don’t know what is the name for it) for you to keep loose shopping bag within it (which my son ended up using it to lay his NPCC uniform flat and it works). Good thing is that the tonneau cover do not need to be removed even with the 3rd of row seats up, and that help to free up more a little boot space.

The ambient light add some classy feel to the interior but unlike say the BMW 2 GT, the colour cannot be changed. There are sufficient reading light positioned in the various part of the cabin, all the way to the boot area (which itselves has 3 light – a little too bright in dim lighting conditions). How I wish the light are removable (take out and use as touch light). One thing about the lighting, it will cut off after about 3 min or there about, to prevent excessive battery drain and preventing overheating (the plastic cover can get very hot when the bulb is lighted constantly. The remote control is good for opening / closing the sliding doors, tailgate and windows, but cannot be used to fold the wing mirror, unlike Superb.

Fuel Consumption

I know many would be keen to find out how frugal is this newer engine. For my 1st 3 refuel, reading as follows:

1. ~11.2 Km/L (60% city / 40% highway)
  2. ~12.6 Km/L (60% highway / 40% City)
  3. ~13.2 Km/L (70% highway / 30 city)

OK, I am not heavy footed, and average speed on highway is 90 – 100Kmh, and experienced ~15 – 20 min of slow traffic daily (sometime at crawling speed during morning peak at school zone), and the usual heavy traffic in the evening. Oh yah, I also experienced about 40 min to 1 hour jam on the causeway weekly (I drove to JB for work once a week), so I am very happy with the FC I am getting. This is a 1.8 ton full size MPV man!

Last, to bro Presea, NO regret for me to upgrade to Sharan, as it does more than just fulfilling my needs. Just that I am too pampered by the superb ride I had prior to this sturdy people mover. [:p]

• Praise 22

Wow Bro, your review is better than most of the expert car reviews we read.

MCF Car review of the year  [thumbsup]

Background

Bought the Sharan to replace my 4 yrs 3 mths old Skoda Superb 2.0TSI because of the need for more space (for up to 7 pax) and also to make it easier for me to drive my wheelchair bound father around. The Skoda is simply superb (pun intended), and absolutely trouble-free till day I handed it over to the dealer, with 158,278.1Km on the clock. The only thing I replaced were batteries and brake pads (front & rear - after 149K Km!!). Oh yah, I did have a faulty headlight module replaced about 2 years into the ownership, and that was all. Average FC over the entire period of ownership is 12.82Km/L (yes, I have an excel spreadsheet to track each of my refill).

Almost like bro Atrecord, I visited quite a number of showrooms to check out multiple mid to full size MPV, before narrowing down to Odyssey & Sharan. Both have sliding doors (which is good for easy access to the 2nd and 3rd row and perfect for our tight carpark lot), proper sitting position for the 3rd row (Odyssey is slight lower than Sharan, but still comfortable even for longer drive), and very good boot space when all seats are up (my acid test is that it must be able to take the wheel chair + my barang barang, and still with some space for groceries). Odyssey is more elderly friendly with it very low floor, but the bench seat somewhat is not as comfortable as the 3 individual seat of the Sharan. I shall skip the rest of the details, as it is more of personal preference.

Size & Visibility

While Sharan does not look big on the outside, once you are in the cabin, it feel just like a large size SUV. I have owned the 1st gen Honda Stream & Honda Crossroad previously, and none of them can match the visibility offered on the Sharan. I find myself on the same level (sitting position) with X3, Q5, CR-V, etc. when driving pass them... But with a an extended dash (depth), 1.9m width and higher driving position, need some time to get use to handle such a "big" car. The built-in reverse cam is very useful for double checking if there are any obstacles behind the car when the reverse sensors beep continuously, but the resolution could be better.

Needless to say, with a boxy body and 7 individual seats, all my occupants are happy that they have their own sitting space. In fact, it is much easier for my dad to get into the 2nd row, as beside the larger opening offered by the sliding door, the seat is higher as well as closer to the edge of the vehicle, thus minimizing the movement needed. And my want for a full length sun roof is proven useful, as it make the interior feel more spacious (as if it is not big enough), and everyone now get a relatively good view of the surrounding when I am driving (I have the habit of pointing out to my passengers whenever I came across something interesting).

Driving Performance

The improved EA888 engine, with 25% more torque (now at 350Nm) than the pre-facelift Sharan and Superb, make this hefty car feel more like an estate, and can propel the car to 100Kmh in a time shorter than what claimed on the technical spreadsheet (my butt feel). You will only get to feel the extra horsepower (20ps to be precise, vs. the previous version) when you go above 100Kmh, but that is already considered very amazing, given that this car is >230Kg heavier than my previous ride, and yet I still can feel the difference just by driving it normally (I have not tried flooring the pedal ‘cos still running in). The engine loved to be driven more aggressively, and the sweet spot is around 100Kmh, if anyone is interested.

The gearbox does give me some mix feeling though. While it is generically the same DQ250 6 speed DSG deployed in the 2nd gen Superb, the gear ratio is somewhat tuned for better pulling power at low speed, and better FC for cruising on highway. This make the gear drag a little when I am moving around in the MSCP (it may at times be undecisive on 1st or 2nd gear, especially in the morning – cold start), and landing the car at it top gear with an engine speed of just 1,200rpm (when I apply feather weight on the pedal, while cruising in KPE with speed limit of 70 - 80Kmh). So ended up I find myself using the pedal shift more often, to get to the gear I want. But on the good side, it does help a little in FC, as it is barely 1,800rpm when reaches the cruising speed of 100Kmh (Superb hit 2,000rpm at 80Kmh).

Touching on FC, I can't help but to sing praise on the coasting function. It is activated automatically once you lift your feet off the gas pedal, allowing the car to just roll forward (like in neutral gear), without the need to maintain pressure on the gas pedal, thus saving more fuel. It can be activated once the speed hit above 20Kmh, meaning this fuel saving feature is applicable for city driving as well for most driver. A note to be taken, as the car roll forward, there is basically no engine braking when going down slope, but it can be overcome with a slight tap on the brake (and release it immediately), or by toggling the pedal shift button (downshift).

The brake is a little soft initially (during the 1st week after collection), but seems to improve after my mileage hit 1,500 Km. However, going with a heavier body, the additional kinetic force cannot be ignored totally, so I tend to apply the brake earlier (as compared to Superb) and that is the reasons why I said the Czech is better. As for auto hold function, on the contrast, I find the grip too hard and sensitive, so much so that it will start to grip the wheel when I engage into reverse gear, something that is never the case on Superb. And if I were to disable it (through the press of a button), there is no longer any hill start assist (to prevent roll back when on slope), which is evidence on such as heavy car. So that mean I have to play with buttons when on the move…

Unexpectedly, the body roll around corners are minimal, allowing it to take bends on slip road to highway at >60Kmh without any feeling of the car going to swirl off the path, which is very similar to a sedan. Suspension setup is on the soft side, allowing me to feel the bumps and unevenness along the journey. One thing that I am a little puzzle, the recommended tyre pressure is relatively high at 28 – 35 bar! which may be a contributing factors to the slightly harsh ride (on uneven road). Noise insulation is good, almost (but not yet) excellent, as after all it has much larger door panels than a typical sedan, and it will be a tough task for the rubber seal has to be able to close up every minor gaps along the surface.

Features & Comfort

Sunroof, yes, I love it! Beside those points I have highlighted earlier, it does help to cool down the car faster, with the use of the tilting function, which allow hot air to be purged out of the cabin, through the roughly 2 – 3 cm opening. I have tinted film installed on the roof as well, and so far I don’t feel much intrusion of heat when driving under direct sunlight. BTW, the 3 zone climate control (aircon) is a gem, so sensitive that I can even feel the difference of 0.5 deg. C in setting, and I have so far yet to activate the max fan speed even during hot weather (like last Sunday), which is partly because the vents are at the right place (and all are adjustable).

The multimedia interface on the infotainment system is very responsive and easy to use, way better than the older RNS510. But as I have not tested out all the features (mirror link and such), I will not be able to provide further feedback for now. The 8 speaker sound system is not up to my expectation, as the sound is somewhat muffled at all level. Probably I am too pampered by the 10 speaker sound system on the Superb (which do not even have a built-in woofer). To be fair, if I were to compare the system on the Sharan with a typical MPV or mid-size sedan, the bass and terrible level is pretty decent and maybe even above average.

The comfort sport seats on the front provide excellent all round support, and is just right for me in term of seat firmness. The electronically adjustable lumbar support is useful for people like me who have a bad back. Too bad it does not come with memory setting. The seat (height) on the 2nd and 3rd rows provide the occupant with a very good view of what is in front and the almost flat floor is a value add (I think can even squeeze 4 in the 2nd row if needed, with little discomfort). BTW, the middle seat feel better (to the butt) than the left and right most seat, which come with built-in child seat. My mum is very picky with regards to the decline angle of the rear seat, and so far she has yet to say anything…

There are many compartments here and there for me to keep my barang barang (there are even 2 hidden compartments under the floor on 2nd row for shoes). The one especially useful for me is on the dash, big enough for me to keep my keys, cards, sunglasses, etc. in it, with rooms to spare. The gloves box are better of built than Superb, and come with a lock, in case you need to secure it for some reasons. And the car come standard with a lot of nets for different application. Floor net to hold loose item in place, separation net to keep the boot area isolated from the passenger cabin, and another net (I don’t know what is the name for it) for you to keep loose shopping bag within it (which my son ended up using it to lay his NPCC uniform flat and it works). Good thing is that the tonneau cover do not need to be removed even with the 3rd of row seats up, and that help to free up more a little boot space.

The ambient light add some classy feel to the interior but unlike say the BMW 2 GT, the colour cannot be changed. There are sufficient reading light positioned in the various part of the cabin, all the way to the boot area (which itselves has 3 light – a little too bright in dim lighting conditions). How I wish the light are removable (take out and use as touch light). One thing about the lighting, it will cut off after about 3 min or there about, to prevent excessive battery drain and preventing overheating (the plastic cover can get very hot when the bulb is lighted constantly. The remote control is good for opening / closing the sliding doors, tailgate and windows, but cannot be used to fold the wing mirror, unlike Superb.

Fuel Consumption

I know many would be keen to find out how frugal is this newer engine. For my 1st 3 refuel, reading as follows:

OK, I am not heavy footed, and average speed on highway is 90 – 100Kmh, and experienced ~15 – 20 min of slow traffic daily (sometime at crawling speed during morning peak at school zone), and the usual heavy traffic in the evening. Oh yah, I also experienced about 40 min to 1 hour jam on the causeway weekly (I drove to JB for work once a week), so I am very happy with the FC I am getting. This is a 1.8 ton full size MPV man!

Last, to bro Presea, NO regret for me to upgrade to Sharan, as it does more than just fulfilling my needs. Just that I am too pampered by the superb ride I had prior to this sturdy people mover. [:p]

• Praise 10

Background

Bought the Sharan to replace my 4 yrs 3 mths old Skoda Superb 2.0TSI....

Size & Visibility

While Sharan does not look big on the outside, once you are in the cabin...

Driving Performance

The improved EA888 engine, with 25% more torque (now at 350Nm) than the pre-facelift...

Features & Comfort

Sunroof, yes, I love it! Beside those points I have highlighted earlier....

Fuel Consumption

• ~11.2 Km/L (60% city / 40% highway)
  • ~12.6 Km/L (60% highway / 40% City)
  • ~13.2 Km/L (70% highway / 30 city)

Excellent review! Tempted to give this ride another chance.

Background

Size & Visibility

Driving Performance

Features & Comfort

Fuel Consumption

What's the max speed u reckon it can take during cornering?

Excellent review! Tempted to give this ride another chance.

Don't just base on my review, go test drive it with your family (and subject it to your own acid test). For me, Sharan just happen to tick the most boxes, but for car purchase and selection, it would still depend very much on your priorities.

What's the max speed u reckon it can take during cornering?

Depending on how sharp the corner you are taking, I would say generally no different from a sedan (my previous Superb to be exact).

I just tried going through the slip road from TPE (SLE) to KPE (after Tampines Ikea exit) this morning at ~80kmh and it is still very stable. [:p]

Wow Bro, your review is better than most of the expert car reviews we read.

MCF Car review of the year [thumbsup]

Thanks bro for your compliment. It is just a laymen review, cannot compare with those expert lah... and I hope my English wouldn't cause trader to get cancers...
  • Praise 6

Don't just base on my review, go test drive it with your family (and subject it to your own acid test). For me, Sharan just happen to tick the most boxes, but for car purchase and selection, it would still depend very much on your priorities.

Depending on how sharp the corner you are taking, I would say generally no different from a sedan (my previous Superb to be exact).

I just tried going through the slip road from TPE (SLE) to KPE (after Tampines Ikea exit) this morning at ~80kmh and it is still very stable. [:p]

Thanks bro for your compliment. It is just a laymen review, cannot compare with those expert lah... and I hope my English wouldn't cause trader to get cancers...

Sounds good, the fuel consumption based on your review is surprisingly good

Btw u not scare gear box issue huh

• Praise 1

With the same gb(DQ250) as the pre f/l Sharan, I think there are enough positive reviews about it, not like the (DQ200) 7speed so no worries. I am one of those positive contributor as I own the pre f/l Sharan for 4 1/2 yrs.

Reading all the good reviews here makes me so jealous hahaha!

• Praise 1

The reliability of my Skoda Superb is the best attestment to the DSG gearbox. Still silky smooth gear shift after 158K Km over a period of 4 yrs 3 mths, I am convinced that the DQ250 6 speed wet clutch DSG is durable enough for our kind of traffic and weather conditions. :a-m1212:

But as a disclaimer for the FC: Don't attempt it at home. 叔叔是有练过的哦。。。 :secret-laugh:  :secret-laugh:

• Praise 5

With the same gb(DQ250) as the pre f/l Sharan, I think there are enough positive reviews about it, not like the (DQ200) 7speed so no worries. I am one of those positive contributor as I own the pre f/l Sharan for 4 1/2 yrs.

Yes, the 6 speed wet clutch DSG very reliable, but NOT the 7 speed dry clutch. I have a few relatives driving pre-f/l Sharan (5 yrs), Passat CC 2.0 TSI (5.5 yrs), Mk 5 Golf (9 yrs), and plus my Superb, all with DQ250, and so far ZERO failure rate... *touch wood*

• Praise 5

The reliability of my Skoda Superb is the best attestment to the DSG gearbox. Still silky smooth gear shift after 158K Km over a period of 4 yrs 3 mths, I am convinced that the DQ250 6 speed wet clutch DSG is durable enough for our kind of traffic and weather conditions. :a-m1212:

But as a disclaimer for the FC: Don't attempt it at home. 叔叔是有练过的哦。。。 :secret-laugh::secret-laugh:

大叔 [:p][laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 4

well if it makes you feel better, i think the 17" rims on the pre f/l looks better than those on the f/l.

:D

But as a disclaimer for the FC: Don't attempt it at home. 叔叔是有练过的哦。。。 :secret-laugh:  :secret-laugh:

your mileage so high, i think within 1 year your new car will be "older" than my old car

[sweatdrop]  :D

Background

Size & Visibility

Driving Performance

Features & Comfort

Fuel Consumption

Thanks! Bro Carbon82 for the excellent review. Just proves that I made the right choice to get one.

Can I ask where did you install the tinted film on the sunroof and what's the damage?

Background

Size & Visibility

Driving Performance

The improved EA888 engine, with 25% more torque (now at 350Nm) than the pre-facelift Sharan and Superb, make this hefty car feel more like an estate, and can propel the car to 100Kmh in a time shorter than what claimed on the technical spreadsheet (my butt feel). You will only get to feel the extra horsepower (20ps to be precise, vs. the previous version) when you go above 100Kmh, but that is already considered very amazing, given that this car is >230Kg heavier than my previous ride, and yet I still can feel the difference just by driving it normally (I have not tried flooring the pedal âcos still running in). The engine loved to be driven more aggressively, and the sweet spot is around 100Kmh, if anyone is interested.

The gearbox does give me some mix feeling though. While it is generically the same DQ250 6 speed DSG deployed in the 2nd gen Superb, the gear ratio is somewhat tuned for better pulling power at low speed, and better FC for cruising on highway. This make the gear drag a little when I am moving around in the MSCP (it may at times be undecisive on 1st or 2nd gear, especially in the morning â cold start), and landing the car at it top gear with an engine speed of just 1,200rpm (when I apply feather weight on the pedal, while cruising in KPE with speed limit of 70 - 80Kmh). So ended up I find myself using the pedal shift more often, to get to the gear I want. But on the good side, it does help a little in FC, as it is barely 1,800rpm when reaches the cruising speed of 100Kmh (Superb hit 2,000rpm at 80Kmh).

The brake is a little soft initially (during the 1st week after collection), but seems to improve after my mileage hit 1,500 Km. However, going with a heavier body, the additional kinetic force cannot be ignored totally, so I tend to apply the brake earlier (as compared to Superb) and that is the reasons why I said the Czech is better. As for auto hold function, on the contrast, I find the grip too hard and sensitive, so much so that it will start to grip the wheel when I engage into reverse gear, something that is never the case on Superb. And if I were to disable it (through the press of a button), there is no longer any hill start assist (to prevent roll back when on slope), which is evidence on such as heavy car. So that mean I have to play with buttons when on the moveâ¦

Unexpectedly, the body roll around corners are minimal, allowing it to take bends on slip road to highway at >60Kmh without any feeling of the car going to swirl off the path, which is very similar to a sedan. Suspension setup is on the soft side, allowing me to feel the bumps and unevenness along the journey. One thing that I am a little puzzle, the recommended tyre pressure is relatively high at 28 â 35 bar! which may be a contributing factors to the slightly harsh ride (on uneven road). Noise insulation is good, almost (but not yet) excellent, as after all it has much larger door panels than a typical sedan, and it will be a tough task for the rubber seal has to be able to close up every minor gaps along the surface.

Features & Comfort

Sunroof, yes, I love it! Beside those points I have highlighted earlier, it does help to cool down the car faster, with the use of the tilting function, which allow hot air to be purged out of the cabin, through the roughly 2 â 3 cm opening. I have tinted film installed on the roof as well, and so far I donât feel much intrusion of heat when driving under direct sunlight. BTW, the 3 zone climate control (aircon) is a gem, so sensitive that I can even feel the difference of 0.5 deg. C in setting, and I have so far yet to activate the max fan speed even during hot weather (like last Sunday), which is partly because the vents are at the right place (and all are adjustable).

The comfort sport seats on the front provide excellent all round support, and is just right for me in term of seat firmness. The electronically adjustable lumbar support is useful for people like me who have a bad back. Too bad it does not come with memory setting. The seat (height) on the 2nd and 3rd rows provide the occupant with a very good view of what is in front and the almost flat floor is a value add (I think can even squeeze 4 in the 2nd row if needed, with little discomfort). BTW, the middle seat feel better (to the butt) than the left and right most seat, which come with built-in child seat. My mum is very picky with regards to the decline angle of the rear seat, and so far she has yet to say anythingâ¦

There are many compartments here and there for me to keep my barang barang (there are even 2 hidden compartments under the floor on 2nd row for shoes). The one especially useful for me is on the dash, big enough for me to keep my keys, cards, sunglasses, etc. in it, with rooms to spare. The gloves box are better of built than Superb, and come with a lock, in case you need to secure it for some reasons. And the car come standard with a lot of nets for different application. Floor net to hold loose item in place, separation net to keep the boot area isolated from the passenger cabin, and another net (I donât know what is the name for it) for you to keep loose shopping bag within it (which my son ended up using it to lay his NPCC uniform flat and it works). Good thing is that the tonneau cover do not need to be removed even with the 3rd of row seats up, and that help to free up more a little boot space.

The ambient light add some classy feel to the interior but unlike say the BMW 2 GT, the colour cannot be changed. There are sufficient reading light positioned in the various part of the cabin, all the way to the boot area (which itselves has 3 light â a little too bright in dim lighting conditions). How I wish the light are removable (take out and use as touch light). One thing about the lighting, it will cut off after about 3 min or there about, to prevent excessive battery drain and preventing overheating (the plastic cover can get very hot when the bulb is lighted constantly. The remote control is good for opening / closing the sliding doors, tailgate and windows, but cannot be used to fold the wing mirror, unlike Superb.

Fuel Consumption

OK, I am not heavy footed, and average speed on highway is 90 â 100Kmh, and experienced ~15 â 20 min of slow traffic daily (sometime at crawling speed during morning peak at school zone), and the usual heavy traffic in the evening. Oh yah, I also experienced about 40 min to 1 hour jam on the causeway weekly (I drove to JB for work once a week), so I am very happy with the FC I am getting. This is a 1.8 ton full size MPV man!

Wah Bro, u can be the ambassador or "tortoise head" for VW cars lei
  • Praise 1

Fuel Consumption

Hi bro Carbon82,

This is a great read. Very informative. I think VW and car magazines might be interested in the article - they will like it.

I had tested the Sharan almost 1.5 yr ago, and still remembered it to be a very good car. Does it still have the park assist, or an improved/later version of what is already a very useful feature in the vehicle that was first launched in ?early 2010s? 

When we were still thinking of MPVs, the only thing that wife preferred of the same-price MPVs over Sharan was that some of them has 2 Ottoman captain seats in row 2, with foot rest and arm rest to pamper the passengers, but Sharan is a strict 2-seater on 2nd row. 

Everything else that I - the driver - can feel/judge better, the Sharan seems to be better: power, refinement, control, etc.

But the FC is very good, and it surprises me. I'm very light-footed (most of the time) too, but even for our Wish, it was hovering around 10.6 km/l the first 10 yr or so. Now that it's older, it's down to about 10 km/l, but I think that's partly contributed by our most city driving, and also my father, who sometimes drive it, might be more accelerate, brake, accelerate, brake type.

Enjoy your ride!

• Praise 1

I drove Sharan for around 5000km after owning it for 1 month plus. I agree most of the things mentioned except the fuel consumption..I probably hit ~7km/l if drive around neighbouring hood. The suspension is definately on the hard side.

I think is almost a perfect car for bigger family with kids and teenager. Although I seldom drive fast but it can really move very fast and stable when I tried it at NS highway.

↡ Advertisement