Volkswagen Sharan..

VellfireS

Thank you very much. it really helpful. Currently on Michelin PSS with profile 245/40 R18 (2nd set) and almost reaching the indicator for change. Hopefully can last until my Sharan arrived (Tyre shop told me Ok). I am ok with the noise level of PSS and would love to stick to PSS .

I can't find weight of sharan on the technical data of VW. Google and found Kerb weight to be around 1700kg.

So rim max load should be above ( 1700kg /4 =) 475kg.

Thanks and happy "Ren" Day of CNY.

Should based on gross weight (approx. 2400kg) rather than kerb weight. That should give you 600kg and above. Also not forgetting your tyre load, for Michelin PSS 245/40 R19 should be 98Y so it's more than enough.

↡ Advertisement

For those who collected the 1st batch of Sharan FL, what was the tyre brand/model? Asked my SE during booking and she said depend on batch but it's usually Continental. Thanks in advance.

For those who collected the 1st batch of Sharan FL, what was the tyre brand/model? Asked my SE during booking and she said depend on batch but it's usually Continental. Thanks in advance.

Mine was Continental. CPC 2.

The issue for Sharan is...it has no spare and no inflation kit; so the tyre provided has to be "self sealing" (Contiseal). 

And with the built in TPMS (pressure monitoring), I am not sure what happens when we change rims/tyres.

Anyone knows if the TPMS works with just any rim?

The issue for Sharan is...it has no spare and no inflation kit; so the tyre provided has to be "self sealing" (Contiseal).

And with the built in TPMS (pressure monitoring), I am not sure what happens when we change rims/tyres.

Did a quick check and based on the reviews on sgcarmart.com the general feedback is that the lifespan of 10km is quite short. Maybe the gurus can advice on the actual performance and whether the TPMS will work for other tyres/rims. Thanks.

By the way, CPC 2 was apparently superceded by CPC 5 then 6

Edited by Kaai

For the past 15 years, I have used only Goodyear F1, Falken FK452/453 and then Continental CSC5. This is the first "normal" tyre on my car for a long long time (if Pirelli P7s count as normal).

I am used to driving on the Falken FK series, spanning 3 different cars, as they are quite soft (which also means very grippy)

And from reviews and lots of experience, Falken FKs were not expected to be long lasting (I do have a tendency to have wheelspins off the line and corner rather hard)... but they still manage to get at least 25-30,000km for me (rotating at 10k and 20k). So I change them once a year.

Ironically, the Conti CSC5 lasted me 40-50,000km and they were even better in the dry and wet (more progressive adhesion loss on fast wet corners). Even when approaching minimal tread depth, the wet grip is very reassuring.

So far, the CPC2 are definitely inferior in terms of grip (compared to my previous tyres), and I get wheelspin off the line with barely half throttle (full throttle means lots and lots of wheelspins - and stares from everyone around). And in corners, the tyres are quite squealy when approaching the limit...

At 4000km, I don't see much deterioration yet, and the wear seems quite even. 

Edited by Presea

Been using Pirelli Scorpion on my current ride for the past few years and it's quite good (relatively quiet and wet grip is good). Review for CSC6 seems to be quite excellent so maybe a future contender? Anyway, will probably stick with whatever tyres I get then decide when it's due for a change - no point wasting $$$ unless safety is compromised.

Stares only? If I was the one behind the wheel, I'll probably get stomped with the headlines screaming "lao unker in mpv still want to chut pattern!!!"  [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Mine was 2nd batch and on Conti CPC2.

• Praise 5

The issue for Sharan is...it has no spare and no inflation kit; so the tyre provided has to be "self sealing" (Contiseal). 

Yah, first time I come across car with NO spare, NO inflation kit / pump & NO tools for changing tyre. Anything must either call AA or go tyre shop to change the tyre out!!

TPMS is very simple to use / reset. After changing your tyre, just pump all 4 tyre to the same pressure (best to drive for a short distance, say couple of hundred meters), stop the car, press and hold the TPMS button for 2 - 3 sec, once you hear a "ting" sound, the system has been reset and will work for the new tyre (and for diff rim size too).

For the past 15 years, I have used only Goodyear F1, Falken FK452/453 and then Continental CSC5. This is the first "normal" tyre on my car for a long long time (if Pirelli P7s count as normal).

I am used to driving on the Falken FK series, spanning 3 different cars, as they are quite soft (which also means very grippy)

And from reviews and lots of experience, Falken FKs were not expected to be long lasting (I do have a tendency to have wheelspins off the line and corner rather hard)... but they still manage to get at least 25-30,000km for me (rotating at 10k and 20k). So I change them once a year.

Ironically, the Conti CSC5 lasted me 40-50,000km and they were even better in the dry and wet (more progressive adhesion loss on fast wet corners). Even when approaching minimal tread depth, the wet grip is very reassuring.

So far, the CPC2 are definitely inferior in terms of grip (compared to my previous tyres), and I get wheelspin off the line with barely half throttle (full throttle means lots and lots of wheelspins - and stares from everyone around). And in corners, the tyres are quite squealy when approaching the limit...

At 4000km, I don't see much deterioration yet, and the wear seems quite even. 

I don't like Falken FK series, have tried 2 set for my previous Honda, and the noise and wear level is not acceptable to me. Maybe will consider CSC5 or 6 in time to come.

Beside tyre quality, the other reason that cause the wheel to spin is the high torque of our newer EA888 engine. Ask those diesel car drivers and they will share with you the same experience.

BTW, same as you, I don't notice any obvious deterioration till date (my mileage coming to 5,200Km).

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 6

Did a quick check and based on the reviews on sgcarmart.com the general feedback is that the lifespan of 10km is quite short. Maybe the gurus can advice on the actual performance and whether the TPMS will work for other tyres/rims. Thanks.

By the way, CPC 2 was apparently superceded by CPC 5 then 6

Cannot be so short life span. My previous Skoda also come with the same tyre (but non-contiseal type), and it last over 30K Km. I change it mainly because of the high road noise after 20K Km. But wet and dry braking performance is just average at best, from day 1...

I quite like the balanced performance of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2, which last for ~55K Km on average. Now have to look out for self sealing tyre for future replacement...

• Praise 6

Cannot be so short life span. My previous Skoda also come with the same tyre (but non-contiseal type), and it last over 30K Km. I change it mainly because of the high road noise after 20K Km. But wet and dry braking performance is just average at best, from day 1...

I quite like the balanced performance of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2, which last for ~55K Km on average. Now have to look out for self sealing tyre for future replacement...

Here's the review (http://www.sgcarmart.com/products/product_reviews.php?ID=505&RID=629#comments629) by one of the members - he did say he's an aggressive driver..

Wears down very fast, but at least it grips hard and doesn't lose a lot of grip as it wears  Posted on 18 Jun 2013 spacer.gifI will not recommend this product to a friend Overall Rating

spacer.gifspacer.gif Features 4/5 Performance 4/5 Design 4/5 Price 3/5 spacer.gif

Review

I tend to drive aggressively on the roads, so maybe that's why I had to replace after about ten k km. Moving along, the dry grip is very tight and I have never understeered with this tyre before, and the wet grip is quite good also, and aquaplaning has never been a problem. It's very comfortable and the noise is not an issue as the music playing masks the sound. However, I feel that it wears down very fast and it is too expensive to replace that often.

What I like

Comfortable and quiet while still having good road grip in wet and dry

What I do not like

Wears down very fast and is not cost effective

Edited by Kaai

A bit off topic but for those who likes to track their fuel expenses, maintenance etc. there's an app called Drivvo (think it's for Android only) which I've found quite useful having used it for the past 3-4 weeks. Link to Google Play here.

• Praise 1

I don't like Falken FK series, have tried 2 set for my previous Honda, and the noise and wear level is not acceptable to me. Maybe will consider CSC5 or 6 in time to come.

Back in early 2000s I started with the Falken ST115, because it was new and supposed to be a progressive sports tyre for wet roads (2 large longitudinal water grooves). I used 3 sets on my Presea before I changed to Eagle F1 (the original non-asymmetric version), which was better for dry, not as "progressive" as the ST115 when exceeding the lateral grip on fast corners... in fact, the breakaway was rather "sudden" at times.

Then I changed to FKs... and I loved the grip in dry and wet.

But I kept driving faster and faster, and eventually the inside of ALL my tyres were worn out; even after rotating (outsides looked fairly new most of the time). This happened for my Presea, Civic and Passat.

Then I eventually switched to the Continental CSC series, because at the size I bought (235/40R18) the price between an FK453 and the Conti were close...and my usual tyre guy gave me a good price (S$2000 for 4 tyres AND rims).

And I kept getting CSCs until I sold my Passat.

The Grip in Dry and Wet were superior to the FK...and the tyre noise was much less.... AND they lasted double the lifespan of the FKs...despite the Passat being heavier (and me driving even faster).

On the note of the tyre noise... like Gadgeter used to say... if there is some wind/road/tyre noise, make your engine "even louder"... or simply turn up the volume of your sound system :)

Edited by Presea

Would like to check on Sharan, built-in TPMS . Does it provide the tyre pressure of all the 4 tyres or it just gives a warning when the tyre pressure are too low ?

On the tyres, I tried Dunlop, Goodyear Eagle (old model), Hankook, Michelin PS3, PSS. I preferred PSS over those other brand. I find Dunlop maxx and hankook to be noisier than PSS thou.. IMHO.

• Praise 1

Would like to check on Sharan, built-in TPMS . Does it provide the tyre pressure of all the 4 tyres or it just gives a warning when the tyre pressure are too low ?

On the tyres, I tried Dunlop, Goodyear Eagle (old model), Hankook, Michelin PS3, PSS. I preferred PSS over those other brand. I find Dunlop maxx and hankook to be noisier than PSS thou.. IMHO.

The TPMS is a very basic one, which will not show the pressure for each tyre, but just give warning each time you enter into the car (warning statement) as well as a sign on the speedometer.

Back in early 2000s I started with the Falken ST115, because it was new and supposed to be a progressive sports tyre for wet roads (2 large longitudinal water grooves). I used 3 sets on my Presea before I changed to Eagle F1 (the original non-asymmetric version), which was better for dry, not as "progressive" as the ST115 when exceeding the lateral grip on fast corners... in fact, the breakaway was rather "sudden" at times.

Then I changed to FKs... and I loved the grip in dry and wet.

But I kept driving faster and faster, and eventually the inside of ALL my tyres were worn out; even after rotating (outsides looked fairly new most of the time). This happened for my Presea, Civic and Passat.

Then I eventually switched to the Continental CSC series, because at the size I bought (235/40R18) the price between an FK453 and the Conti were close...and my usual tyre guy gave me a good price (S$2000 for 4 tyres AND rims).

And I kept getting CSCs until I sold my Passat.

The Grip in Dry and Wet were superior to the FK...and the tyre noise was much less.... AND they lasted double the lifespan of the FKs...despite the Passat being heavier (and me driving even faster).

On the note of the tyre noise... like Gadgeter used to say... if there is some wind/road/tyre noise, make your engine "even louder"... or simply turn up the volume of your sound system :)

I had FK451 & 452 before and while braking performance were reasonably good (at that price range), but the noise (after just 10 - 15K Km) is pretty obvious.

My first set of CSC2 (original from factory for my Superb) give good braking performance in the first 20K Km, thereafter start to show sign of weak traction on wet floor (in some MSCP). In fact my current set on Sharan also has the same issue at the same carpark. Maybe it is the floor problem?

• Praise 5

I had FK451 & 452 before and while braking performance were reasonably good (at that price range), but the noise (after just 10 - 15K Km) is pretty obvious.

My first set of CSC2 (original from factory for my Superb) give good braking performance in the first 20K Km, thereafter start to show sign of weak traction on wet floor (in some MSCP). In fact my current set on Sharan also has the same issue at the same carpark. Maybe it is the floor problem?

I guess there might have been a lot of tyre noise for me with those same types of tyres (FK and CSC) on very smooth/grippy floors. Fortunately for me, in the past 11 years, I have not been to MSCPs as much... Otherwise, the tyres are reasonably quiet on the roads (except at traffic junctions ;) )

I do notice some inside tyre squeal at my current office carpark (since 2010), but usually only happens when I provoke a tighter turn and accelerate more than usual, and this happens from new to old tyres.

My current CPC2... it's squealy at my office carpark too.

• Praise 1

sian... so difficult to look for replacement self sealing tyres

outside tyre shops bring in wrong speed rating

seems like may have to go back to vw if still want self sealing tyres with the right specs

going to kena carrot by vw

sian... so difficult to look for replacement self sealing tyres

outside tyre shops bring in wrong speed rating

seems like may have to go back to vw if still want self sealing tyres with the right specs

going to kena carrot by vw

• Praise 6

Yah, first time I come across car with NO spare, NO inflation kit / pump & NO tools for changing tyre. Anything must either call AA or go tyre shop to change the tyre out!!

TPMS is very simple to use / reset. After changing your tyre, just pump all 4 tyre to the same pressure (best to drive for a short distance, say couple of hundred meters), stop the car, press and hold the TPMS button for 2 - 3 sec, once you hear a "ting" sound, the system has been reset and will work for the new tyre (and for diff rim size too).

From your post u stated there was no repair kit , pump and toold for changing tyre. I remember there was something in the boot area compartment on the left that seem like a repair kit with pump ? Was I mistaken?

Didn't realized there are no tool for changing tyre as well... this is my first time as well like u. I always prefer car with spare tyre. Look like time have changed and I have to learn the "new" ways instead of changing tyre.

↡ Advertisement