Volkswagen Sharan..

VellfireS

However, the engine fan of mine has been replaced twice (under warranty), as well as a coolant pump, at about 45K Km. Other than that, the car serves me and my family well, with proper 2nd and 3rd row seat, allowing 7 pax to travel comfortably, with space to spare in the boot for weekend groceries shopping.

Frankly, with the kind of space and power combination, I can't really think of another MPV that come close to it...

Owners of certain jap brand will say your car is not reliable at all, if have to enter workshop for repair at all haha. 

Imo CX9 comes close, losing out in last row legroom only.

↡ Advertisement

Hi hi I'm looking to buy the current model of Sharan. Would like to ask for opinion of the reliability of the engine especially from long time owners. I've heard some reliability and servicing issues (long turnaround time) so need the views from old birds...TYIA!

I'm driving a 2014 Sharan.

Reliability of the engine...excellent.

Gearbox...excellent

Powerful and smooth, downshift with paddle and no need to step on accelerator can overtake already lol!

Problems for me were mainly wear and tear, coolant pump cracked, air con coil leak, heck my radio headset also fried

• Praise 3

Neutral Newbie

I'm driving a 2014 Sharan.

Reliability of the engine...excellent.

Gearbox...excellent

Powerful and smooth, downshift with paddle and no need to step on accelerator can overtake already lol!

Problems for me were mainly wear and tear, coolant pump cracked, air con coil leak, heck my radio headset also fried

Thank you so much for your feedback! Quick question: did it take long to have your parts replaced with VW? Have a toddler n a 3 month old so too long a downtime is obviously not ideal...
  • Praise 1

Thank you so much for your feedback! Quick question: did it take long to have your parts replaced with VW? Have a toddler n a 3 month old so too long a downtime is obviously not ideal...ð

Hi,

well, problems appeared in the late 4th year of ownership. After the warranty period of 3 years. I understand it's 5 year warranty now, so that's crucial.

Down time about half a day. But the air con coil took a while day.

Your baby would be 5 years old when it might happen lol!

As a family vehicle/mpv, I think it's an excellent choice.

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

well, problems appeared in the late 4th year of ownership. After the warranty period of 3 years. I understand it's 5 year warranty now, so that's crucial.

Down time about half a day. But the air con coil took a while day.

Your baby would be 5 years old when it might happen lol!

As a family vehicle/mpv, I think it's an excellent choice.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Yes there are very few MPVs, if any, that check all the boxes for us compared to Sharan (not even Alphard @ >50k). My father in law kept discouraging me on conti cars so a bit apprehensive - given that my KIA K3 is 3+ yo and has ZERO problem. But great to know that even if there's any breakdown, the consequence is just a short down time, which I can stomach (for now at least lol).  

Hypersonic

My facelift Sharan has hit >100 K km since I got it about 2.5 years ago. Engine and gearbox wise, everything good as new till date *touch wood*. In fact, this is not my 1st car with VAG, my previous ride, the 2nd gen Skoda Superb 2.0 TSI, which I traveled close to 160K Km before I trade it in for the Sharan, was also problem free from day 1.

x1a0BfE.jpg

I follow the recommended servicing interval at 15K Km, and do not need to top up any engine oil in-between (unlike the pre-facelift version, with some reported that they need to top up ~ 1 - 2 L engine before hitting 15K km. 6 speed wet clutch DSG Gearbox are deployed in Sharan (both pre-facelift and facelift model), and this variant have been proven very reliable over the past 13 years, on various models within the VAG group.

However, the engine fan of mine has been replaced twice (under warranty), as well as a coolant pump, at about 45K Km. Other than that, the car serves me and my family well, with proper 2nd and 3rd row seat, allowing 7 pax to travel comfortably, with space to spare in the boot for weekend groceries shopping.

Frankly, with the kind of space and power combination, I can't really think of another MPV that come close to it...

wah...your 2.5 yo car has almost double my 5yo car mileage

[sweatdrop]  :D 

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Yes there are very few MPVs, if any, that check all the boxes for us compared to Sharan (not even Alphard @ >50k). My father in law kept discouraging me on conti cars so a bit apprehensive - given that my KIA K3 is 3+ yo and has ZERO problem. But great to know that even if there's any breakdown, the consequence is just a short down time, which I can stomach (for now at least lol).  

Get a sharan to please yourself.

Get a Toyota to please your FIL. 

Your choice.  

If you have read through this thread, you should roughly know what a sharan would bring. Unless you did not then nothing more to say.

• Praise 2

My facelift Sharan has hit >100 K km since I got it about 2.5 years ago. Engine and gearbox wise, everything good as new till date *touch wood*. In fact, this is not my 1st car with VAG, my previous ride, the 2nd gen Skoda Superb 2.0 TSI, which I traveled close to 160K Km before I trade it in for the Sharan, was also problem free from day 1.

x1a0BfE.jpg

I follow the recommended servicing interval at 15K Km, and do not need to top up any engine oil in-between (unlike the pre-facelift version, with some reported that they need to top up ~ 1 - 2 L engine before hitting 15K km. 6 speed wet clutch DSG Gearbox are deployed in Sharan (both pre-facelift and facelift model), and this variant have been proven very reliable over the past 13 years, on various models within the VAG group.

guess no one spotted that amazing 10101010101!

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi all,

Possible to add me to the Sharan telegram chatgroup?

Taking delivery of a nice grey Sharan from VW this coming Thursday.

Looking forward

• Praise 1

Hi all,

Possible to add me to the Sharan telegram chatgroup?

Taking delivery of a nice grey Sharan from VW this coming Thursday.

Looking forward

Congrats! Sent you a PM already

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Congrats! Sent you a PM already

Thanks much

Sad to say goodbye to my lovely grey Tiguan.

It's been 4 good years.

But also looking forward to the Sharan.

Wish the instrument display on Sharan was as cool looking as the Tiguan though

Actually for those looking at the sharan seriously today, wouldn’t the 2l Alhambra be a very compelling proposition? It’s exactly the same car with a lot more specs for less money...

Actually for those looking at the sharan seriously today, wouldnât the 2l Alhambra be a very compelling proposition? Itâs exactly the same car with a lot more specs for less money...

Speaking about the Alhambra, the AD just released the 1.4l variant priced 8k lower. Ideal for those not needing the extra power from the 2l

The only concern with Seat now is the after sales and warranty which is different from VCS.

• Praise 1

Speaking about the Alhambra, the AD just released the 1.4l variant priced 8k lower. Ideal for those not needing the extra power from the 2l

The only concern with Seat now is the after sales and warranty which is different from VCS.

i guess, but the 2.0l comes with 18 in rims, memory seat, brake assist, lane assist, all for less money than the VW sharan  [shocked]

might be worth a punt. 

can buy VW badge from taobao and rebadge if branding is an issue !

anyone knows how to make the mirror auto fold when lock/unlock doors ah?

that time me fold the mirror then when my mom use the car she dun know how to unfold  :a-panic:

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Get a sharan to please yourself.

Get a Toyota to please your FIL.

Your choice.

If you have read through this thread, you should roughly know what a sharan would bring. Unless you did not then nothing more to say.

Grown married men still taking advise from FIL on the choice of car to buy??....LOL
↡ Advertisement