Volkswagen Sharan..

VellfireS

Neutral Newbie

Grown married men still taking advise from FIL on the choice of car to buy??....LOL

Grown married man's FIL is a car dealer. Besides it doesn't harm to seek more advice, just like what I do here?  [;)]

↡ Advertisement

Actually for those looking at the sharan seriously today, wouldn’t the 2l Alhambra be a very compelling proposition? It’s exactly the same car with a lot more specs for less money...

Same same but different, if you look into details.

Alhambra 2.0 TSI Style (same engine and gearbox as Sharan):

- NO Bi-xenon headlights (halogen)

- NO sunroof

- Metallic colour is a cost option

There are a few others minor differences which I have forgotten. For me, I am actually more interested in the Alhambra than Sharan, and was the 1st one to check it out even before Vertex starts it operation, but walk away disappointed, for the following:

- The price of 2.0 TDI (the only model available at launch) was much higher than Sharan (in Sep / Oct 2016)

- The 1st shipment of Style edition even have no powered sliding doors (which Vertex offered some discount to clear the stock)

- There is only 1 child seat instead of 2 found on the Sharan (not a must have for me)

- No net / cargo package, which was standard on Sharan (not a must have for me)

- No sunroof (a must for me)

- Only Halogen headlight (it would cost $6K - $8K more to have sunroof + Bi-xenon headlight + LED DRL at that time) (this is a must have for me)

- And the metallic paint (only 3 options available at that time, will cost ~$2K) (I wanted metallic brown which Vertex don't even carries)

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing Seat, just that for serious buyer, you have to look beyond the price factor. To be fair, for those that don't need the few things I mentioned above will save a couple of thousands (btw, price at VW is nego, and I have managed to knock ~$7K off the RRP without much effort, but not as much with Vertex). So it is a personal choice.

Seriously, if both Alhambra and Sharan are priced the same, have the exact same features, and AD offered the same trade-in value for my previous ride, I would have gotten the former without any hesitation, as I prefer it sportier design (again, personal preference at play).

• Praise 9

Neutral Newbie

I've just gone down to SEAT over the weekend for test drive:

1.4 model is surprisingly powerful and responsive (good enough for me personally).

All basic features the same as Sharan, but no park assist (not even an option).

Main gripe is metallic colors additional 1k, sunroof additional 3k, xenon lights add 4k. No ready stock for except basic colors.

Current prices are 155,400 and 163,400 respectively, pre additional costs.

Seems like Sharan 2.0 a better deal all in? Anyone knows the difference in safety features difference? Little boss was fussing so couldn't have a longer time with SE, in case any big bros asks "why grown up married man never check?"

Edited by Misterlee

My facelift Sharan has hit >100 K km since I got it about 2.5 years ago. Engine and gearbox wise, everything good as new till date *touch wood*. In fact, this is not my 1st car with VAG, my previous ride, the 2nd gen Skoda Superb 2.0 TSI, which I traveled close to 160K Km before I trade it in for the Sharan, was also problem free from day 1.

I follow the recommended servicing interval at 15K Km, and do not need to top up any engine oil in-between (unlike the pre-facelift version, with some reported that they need to top up ~ 1 - 2 L engine before hitting 15K km. 6 speed wet clutch DSG Gearbox are deployed in Sharan (both pre-facelift and facelift model), and this variant have been proven very reliable over the past 13 years, on various models within the VAG group.

However, the engine fan of mine has been replaced twice (under warranty), as well as a coolant pump, at about 45K Km. Other than that, the car serves me and my family well, with proper 2nd and 3rd row seat, allowing 7 pax to travel comfortably, with space to spare in the boot for weekend groceries shopping.

Frankly, with the kind of space and power combination, I can't really think of another MPV that come close to it...

It's funny how similar our recent car paths have been.... except that my almost 9 year old Passat had some gearbox problems at the 4th year. And although my Sharan is about the same age as yours.... I only just did the 60k servicing. 

Other than the free battery replacements from VCS, and a sticky child seat (from daily use by my youngest child), which was resolved at the last servicing, I am actually quite happy with the car. It doesn't eat the tyres as badly as my Passat, but my main concerns have been the poor fuel efficiency (7.5-8 km/L); however some might say it's the HRF issue (which kind of affects all my cars anyway :) )

Another thing.... the costs at VCS seems to have increased over the years; I don't remember paying so much in the past.

Will be changing to Advantage VAG for servicing and other issues after this. I was quote 40% cheaper for the same recent servicing interval, as well as brake replacements.

Neutral Newbie

Hello

New owner of 2 yo sharan here. Can i check with you guys if anyone this problem with android auto? 

Communication error 8 etc etc etc.

And. Any whatsapp or fb or other chatgroups to join to share more info about the car? Tried a few facebook ones but they seem like they r mainly for people to post adverts(sometimes things totally unrelated to cars)

Thanks in advance!!

Screenshot_20190908-172412_Google Play services.jpg

On 9/10/2019 at 3:41 PM, Bish said:

Hello

New owner of 2 yo sharan here. Can i check with you guys if anyone this problem with android auto? 

And. Any whatsapp or fb or other chatgroups to join to share more info about the car? Tried a few facebook ones but they seem like they r mainly for people to post adverts(sometimes things totally unrelated to cars)

Thanks in advance!!

Nope, mine still working fine after close to 3 years. Maybe it would be better for you to make a trip to VW service centre to check with the SA, especially since yours should be under 3 years warranty?

• Praise 5

On 8/20/2019 at 2:26 PM, Presea said:

It's funny how similar our recent car paths have been.... except that my almost 9 year old Passat had some gearbox problems at the 4th year. And although my Sharan is about the same age as yours.... I only just did the 60k servicing. 

Other than the free battery replacements from VCS, and a sticky child seat (from daily use by my youngest child), which was resolved at the last servicing, I am actually quite happy with the car. It doesn't eat the tyres as badly as my Passat, but my main concerns have been the poor fuel efficiency (7.5-8 km/L); however some might say it's the HRF issue (which kind of affects all my cars anyway 🙂 )

Another thing.... the costs at VCS seems to have increased over the years; I don't remember paying so much in the past.

Will be changing to Advantage VAG for servicing and other issues after this. I was quote 40% cheaper for the same recent servicing interval, as well as brake replacements.

Same as you, I guess upgrading to Sharan is a natural progression, after my 4.5 yrs of wonderful experience with Skoda Superb, and especially since VW only have 1 full size MPV in it lineup. My ownership experience so far so good *touch wood*

FC wise, with your driving pattern (I saw your car often on KPE in the morning - doing school run?), 7.5 - 8Km/L is consider very good liao, as after all our rides weighed ~1.8 Ton. Even for me, whom are a relatively light footed person, the average FC I gotten on Sharan also cannot match that of my previous Superb.

As for servicing cost, yes, same observation on my end. My Superb serviced by VCS never cost >$720 (even for major servicing at 60K & 120K Km), but my 60K Km service (for Sharan cost close to $900 all in). Brake replacement, I did it outside and cost just $220+ (including labor & GST - for the front pair) Well, now that my warranty is officially over, might explore external workshop for normal servicing (non-major), as after all, it is mainly for oil change.

OK, here is a glimpse of the latest full size MPV from VW, but not sure if it would make it here (rumor that it is for China only).

volkswagen-viloran-fotos-espia-201961052

e64e3775-vw-viloran-2.jpg

b7d4a49d-vw-viloran-1.jpg

volkwagen-mpv-front2.jpg.webp

volkwagen-mpv-rear2.jpg

• Praise 9

Neutral Newbie
On 9/24/2019 at 3:33 PM, Carbon82 said:

Nope, mine still working fine after close to 3 years. Maybe it would be better for you to make a trip to VW service centre to check with the SA, especially since yours should be under 3 years warranty?

Will be sending for svcing soon. Thanks for your suggestion!

This is a question for those who have driven both the pre-FL and FL versions of the Sharan. Is the difference in power noticeable? How about any other differences that you find is really an improvement in the FL version, over the pre-FL version?

TIA.

On 8/21/2019 at 11:08 AM, Josaiah said:

Hi. Could I be added into the telegram chat pls?

Somehow mycarforum stopped sending me updates on the forum. Sent u a pm

• Praise 1

On 9/10/2019 at 3:41 PM, Bish said:

Hello

Thanks in advance!!

Sent you a PM to join the chat

↡ Advertisement